Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:48 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times

Advertisements

I like my Ford Ranger...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:52 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
To me the 4Runner is a different class of vehicle than a CRV or Rav4...
Yeah, definitely. The 4Runner is a serious off-road trail-riding machine. Body-on-frame truck-style construction, tough as nails, but completely unnecessary for MOST people. CR-V/RAV4 are great for someone who wants AWD with a bit of ground clearance but doesn't drive very far off the beaten path often. For instance, you would be fine driving dirt/gravel roads and driving on snow in a CR-V/RAV4, but you would want a 4Runner or something similar if you need to drive in the complete wilderness, where there aren't even any dirt roads. Any sort of deep ruts or big hill climbs or difficult clearances, 4Runner.

I personally drive a Honda Accord (4 cylinder, 5spd manual), and we have had snow and ice on the ground (and all the roads) for the past two weeks. I have had to drive up and down some very dicey, slippery mountain roads that were very steep grades, and I have had to drive on non plowed roads with traffic around me, basically all your standard winter conditions. The Accord has performed beautifully. It has been strange; I keep having to remind myself I'm in North Carolina, with 10 foot piles of snow all over the place and constant snow for almost a week there. Even though we're in the mountains, this amount of snow is unusual. I would be willing to bet good money that you would totally fine with a Honda Accord (especially with a manual trans.) if you live anywhere on the road system. I know the OP is looking for a car to use in Nuiqsut, but you never know, someone else might read this.

Quote:
Ship - I am a car nut as well.
Cars are about the only material possession I go nuts about. I swear, if I had a million dollars, I hate to think how much of it would go to cars and trucks.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:13 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Computers and cars here. And I hate to think what i would do with a million as well.

Glad to hear an accord does so well in the snow... Land cruisers and the "real" land rover are a step up from the 4runner. But we are getting into some serious coin there.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Computers and cars here. And I hate to think what i would do with a million as well.

Glad to hear an accord does so well in the snow... Land cruisers and the "real" land rover are a step up from the 4runner. But we are getting into some serious coin there.
The problem with some of the not so popular automobiles such as Land Rover is that there aren't many places for one to take one for repairs should it break-down. So, it's not a bad idea for driving on ice to buy automobiles that offer the best traction possible for the money. Subaru, Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM and others make the most popular automobiles for driving in Alaska. This popularity means that there are a lot of shops and dealers for one to choose from. But it's nice to have a fancy automobile in the garage, if one can afford it, for summer driving.

I traded my 2009 Forester for a Toyota Rav 4 mainly because my wife din't want to drive it. She would suffer from back pain whenever sitting on the Forester for extended periods of time, because the seats have has lumbar support or something. I could not figure that one out, but all I know is that she loves the 2010 Rav 4 V6, so I handed the keys to her as a present.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
RayinAK - Yeah - I would definetly want to stick with a vehicle that you can get parts for easily. I personally do not like the way Land Rover's drive, especially for the money they cost. Same goes for a Toyota Land Cruiser. (I have driven both)

I have my dream vehicle now - a 2011 F350, 4x4, Diesel Truck... I finally got rid of my Toyota Tundra. Don't know how easy it will be to get the Ford serviced if I need to when I visit AK. Hopefully I won't need to find out! BTW, what are your big fuel stations in AK. Do you have Racetracks, Pilot's or Flying J's up there?

Only other vehicle I would like to have as a "toy", would be a Jeep Wrangler. I used to have highly modified Mustangs, but the days of wanting to have a small, low to the ground vehicle, are over for me.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:09 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
RayinAK - Yeah - I would definetly want to stick with a vehicle that you can get parts for easily. I personally do not like the way Land Rover's drive, especially for the money they cost. Same goes for a Toyota Land Cruiser. (I have driven both)

I have my dream vehicle now - a 2011 F350, 4x4, Diesel Truck... I finally got rid of my Toyota Tundra. Don't know how easy it will be to get the Ford serviced if I need to when I visit AK. Hopefully I won't need to find out! BTW, what are your big fuel stations in AK. Do you have Racetracks, Pilot's or Flying J's up there?

Only other vehicle I would like to have as a "toy", would be a Jeep Wrangler. I used to have highly modified Mustangs, but the days of wanting to have a small, low to the ground vehicle, are over for me.
love my Jeep Wrangler...thinking we have to sell it for a different second vehicle to drive to AK....driving a Ford F350 as planned right now pulling a 24' trailer...an driving a second vehicle. I want my Jeep Wrangler but....not practical for the trip as the second vehicle whaaaaa whining here...

Old 01-16-2011, 08:58 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
My vote would be for a Subaru Forester... I live in Wisconsin where I drive in plenty of ice and snow. I've even had to escape a 3 foot drift at one time. Mine is a 2006 so no head gasket issues (not yet anyway I've never driven a more "sure footed" vehicle. Good luck in your choice..

Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:

I have been keeping my eye peeled for a late '90-early 2000's Ford F-250. It does not have to be diesel nor have an extended cab, but I want one with a long bed to put a bare "Camper Cache" on it.

We have a few dirt race tracks, but nothing fancy. In relation to dealers and shops, there are all sorts of Fords, Chevy's, GM's, Toyota's, etc. It seems that most people have a truck or two

Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
love my Jeep Wrangler...thinking we have to sell it for a different second vehicle to drive to AK....driving a Ford F350 as planned right now pulling a 24' trailer...an driving a second vehicle. I want my Jeep Wrangler but....not practical for the trip as the second vehicle whaaaaa whining here...
Maybe you can have the Wrangler shipped to Alaska? That's how military members get their vehicles up here unless they drive. Back when in the military, I shipped a car from Seattle to Anchorage, and drove a Ford F-150 all the way. I slept in the bak (it had a topper) every now and then along the way to save some cash.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Get me a ticket down, I'll drive the Jeep back for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska