Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times

Advertisements

The Alaska State Government isn't doing anything as it is not a State issue. You guys must not read the news much as this stuff has been going on all over the whole country for years. The Oenga family isn't the only one being jacked around by the BIA or federal government.

Billions Missing From U.S. Indian Trust Fund

Cobell v. Salazar

Judge gives initial OK to $3.4B Indian settlement

Old 01-06-2011, 02:51 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
The Alaska State Government isn't doing anything as it is not a State issue. You guys must not read the news much as this stuff has been going on all over the whole country for years. The Oenga family isn't the only one being jacked around by the BIA or federal government.

Billions Missing From U.S. Indian Trust Fund

Cobell v. Salazar

Judge gives initial OK to $3.4B Indian settlement
I am so surprised by your nasty remarks.........not. I have always known by your posts that we are crosswise politically. I just never took issue with it because I try not to post much in this forum.

It most certainly is a State issue because it is happening in the state of Alaska. Your laisse faire attitude is kind of scary.

Thanks for the links, though.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
It most certainly is a State issue because it is happening in the state of Alaska. Your laisse faire attitude is kind of scary.

Thanks for the links, though.
Oh gosh!! Get real. If you don't understand the differences between State and Federal governmental responsibilities then you need to retake your high school civics class. I think the court should slam BP and award Oenga everything they asked for. But Oenga has zero claim against the State of Alaska and as such they should not get involved in it.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Very well put Stiffnecked !!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Oh gosh!! Get real. If you don't understand the differences between State and Federal governmental responsibilities then you need to retake your high school civics class. I think the court should slam BP and award Oenga everything they asked for. But Oenga has zero claim against the State of Alaska and as such they should not get involved in it.
1. I'm a college graduate which is no big deal. I just wanted to mention that I have taken civics classes above the high school level.
2. I am a retired federal government employee with 37 years under my belt in the midst of governmental responsibilities.

If nothing else the state should be defending this family with all its force. Why is that not happening? Why isn't the Alaska Attorney General going after the bad guys?

Don't link this with what is going on in The Black Hills. If you want to link it with anything then look at the history of how New Zealand treats its native folks, the Maori people. It's just the opposite of how the tribes/clans of Alaska are being treated. This particular situation is smack dab on Alaska's back, both physically and civilly.

I don't give a flip about fines. I want the big money to go to the folks who deserve it.

And, finally, Number 3 :

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who keep silent in times of moral crisis." Dante's Inferno.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 PM

This has happened to more than one family in Barrow Leroy ***** and his family were awarded 250 million dollars by a federal judge in 2009. Word quickly spread through Barrow & Point Hope; as Leroy's children live there with his former wife.

To date no monies have been awarded to Leroy; Every year he receives 35,000 from BP for stealing his fathers land also. Different last name from other case. Same disapointing outcome - watching the rich steal from the poor !!!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

If nothing else the state should be defending this family with all its force. Why is that not happening? Why isn't the Alaska Attorney General going after the bad guys?
I just don't know why you don't understand this? It's a civil matter between Oenga, the BIA and the Federal Government. The State of Alaska as a political unit has no part in this.

If you got food poisioning at Burger King from eating an undercooked Whooper would you expect Taco Bell to sue on your behalf???

The land that Oenga owns does not belong to the State of Alaska. That's why Oenga has his own lawyers handling this.

Your getting your panties all tied up in a knot for no reason. If your really TO"d you need to call your US Congressmen and experss your anger to them.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Sheesh, more wacko world commentary that is absolutely false.

Leroy Oenga Sr. is one of the plaintiffs in this case, not some separate or similar case. And in 2009 there was a court hearing (the ruling was published in February 2010) in which several summary judgment motions from each side were both denied in part and granted in part.

http://turtletalk.files.wordpress.co...oenga-v-us.pdf

There was no award of any $250 million, or for that matter even one single dollar, to anyone.

The court hearing in July 2010 determined precisely what fault there was, but did not set an award. The recently published ruling is from that action. The next step is for the court to determine what the award will be, assuming there is no settlement agreed to first by the parties involved.

Of course, whatever the award is it will be appealed, and most likely none of the plaintiffs will be less than 75 years old by the time BP ever so much as pays even one cent to any of them.

In all fairness I should comment that while the State of Alaska has not done anything to help this situation, they haven't really done anything to hurt either. On the other hand the BIA has a legal trust responsibility to the Oenga family. Not only are the BIA attorneys sitting at the defendant's table right along with BP, Exxon, and the other oil companies, but the court has ruled specifically that the BIA has in other ways legally breached the trust relationship they are required by law to provide the Oenga family.

Last edited by Floyd_Davidson; 01-06-2011 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
The land that Oenga owns does not belong to the State of Alaska. That's why Oenga has his own lawyers handling this.
The case is actually much more complex than that.

The State of Alaska in fact technically on paper owns half of the 40 acre homesite, due to what appears to be an uncorrected administrative oversight when the original claim was filed. The State has not corrected it.

It can also be argued that the State is grossly an accomplice because while the drill pad and actual wells are all on the Oenga property, the oil being pumped actually is from State land, and the State has permitted the entire operation without verification of information filed by BP etc on their permit applications.

Also note that BIA lawyers are handling it, BP lawyers are too, as are Exxon and the other oil companies involved. The Oenga family does not have "lawyers"; they have Ray Givens, period. Just one attorney, who so far has worked on this for at least 6 years without making a penny.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post

There was no award of any $250 million, or for that matter even one single dollar, to anyone.
I'm sorry FLOYD your wrong - go ask his son LEROY and find out the truth.

We are talkng about the exact same person, I didn't recognize the spelling of his last name. But it is the same Leroy ! I have known Leroy since 1981 when he lived in Point Hope. He married Caroline Nashookpuk before I ever arrived.

Leroy SR (son) and his two siblings get $35,000 dividends EVERY YEAR.

I know this family - I hear what his former wife in Point Hope is saying and has said. She was supposed to get a new house; Caroline Nashookpuk used to take care of Leroy's father, Andrew for many years !!

Two years ago he bought a brand new truck with his dividend - he lived a stones throw from where I lived on Oogruk Street; First Green house as you pass Arctic Hotel on the right side of the road. Leroy had paper work from his lawyer; but obviosly; that decision was appealed; and more litigation is ongoing; Elizabeth Oviok was over that house almost every night! I got the news straight from the source. TRUE they never got any settlement awarded; Leroy still gets his yearly dividends; but the talk in 2009 was all over Barrow & Point Hope !! That was all Leroy could talk about back then.

Pay him a visit Floyd and tell him he is wrong !! I will call ahead and tell him to expect you. Please post the results for ALL TO SEE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska