Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:53 AM

24,322 posts, read 26,692,720 times

Advertisements

I'd say most friendly livable town...Homer or Seward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 08:10 AM

437 posts, read 809,500 times
Hmmm, maybe I need to check out Delta Junction this summer when I'm up.....I always keep focusing on Wasilla since that is where I used to live but I'm open to any/all possibilities!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 AM

854 posts, read 1,964,089 times
yeah, this thread is making me want to visit the one friend i have in delta...

Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 AM

49 posts, read 104,392 times
i say Barrow AK

Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM

23 posts, read 40,062 times
Of the places I've been in AK, I would say the Delta area. I was there around Thanksgiving time and I got invited to no fewer than three celebrations despite having no relatives or close friends in the area.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:00 PM

191 posts, read 357,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusia View Post
Of the places I've been in AK, I would say the Delta area. I was there around Thanksgiving time and I got invited to no fewer than three celebrations despite having no relatives or close friends in the area.
There are all good. I can't really answer with one because it is so different between city, town, and village, and between visiting and living there.

City: People will think I'm nuts but I'll say Fairbanks. I"ve always met interesting folks there. Of course there really are only 2 1/2 cities in this state (Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau sorta/kinda). Juneau is friendly too, but only when the ships aren't in and the leg is not in session.

Road System Town: I'd have to pick two, Valdez and Talkeetna. Both again, when they aren't overrun by touristas. I haven't been to Haines yet, but pretty much everyone I know who has been there mentions the friendliness.

Bush Town: I haven't been to an unfriendly one yet. Barrow, Dillingham, Nome, Kotzebue, and Dutch were all great. Still need to get to Bethel.

Village: I haven't been there, but my ex taught in Deering, and the folks there were incredibly kind to her.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:33 PM

27 posts, read 98,098 times
It isn't the town that's friendly, it's the Alaskan's living in them. While Anchorage has annexed itself from Alaska, most of the city folks don't know what it is like to be stranded, broke down, adrift, or lost. The last time I was up there, a guy broke down on one of the main streets (Benson), and when I stopped to help him, I had people honking at me and yelling because I stopped. Now call me ignorant, but that isn't the same folks I grew up with here. I got him into a parking lot and asked if he needed more help and he said he had some friends on the way. Turned out he was from Seward and was just in town visiting. I can tell you this, if someone breaks down in Glenallen, folks won't honk at you if you stop to help them. In Chistochina, the folks their will try to get you to spend the night just to offer hospitality, in Delta, well some folks already told you how nice they are. I live in a small town too, and our small little school travels all over Alaska playing sports, and it doesn't matter what town or village we are in, we get warm welcomes, great food, loving hosts, and the Alaskan hospitality that has encompassed this land as long as the Inupiats have been here. Kenny Lake over by Chitina has to be mentioned, I mean what nicer group of folks than that would find out that one of our chaperones loves Breve's and so one of the businesses in the area made it a point to stay open just so she could have a breve each day we were there. Normally the place was closed but she opened up just because we were there, and as far as I know we were the only customers she had the whole time. And then there are the great folks of Tok, now talk about going out of their way to make sure everone has what they need, well when they offer to go out at forty below to help you preheat your car so you can go to teh store for supplies it just doesn't get any friendlier than that. And let's not forget about that little town in southeast called Hyder, where there are no official law enforcement officers, but Lord help the guy who thinks he can bother senior citizens who stopped in to see the bears, because the guy running the local grocery store and all the other business owners carry guns and make sure the peace in the town is kept, and they do it in the nicest, calmest way possible. And just imagine being stuck in Port Lions for two extra days while you wait for the ferry that had mechanical difficulties to get there and have everyone in your group fed and taken care by the community members at no charge as well as being chauffeed around to see the sights. So hopefully this lets the rest of the Americans out there know that small town USA is alive and well in Alaska and it takes pride in being hospitable and helpful to all those that grace them with your visit.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,160,069 times
Seldoviadad,
A good friend of mine, living in Michigan now but trying to get back, was born and raised in Seldovia.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,641,516 times
I visited Seldovia this last summer. Never actually been around the community before. I found it to be a very friendly place as well.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,816,675 times
In Anchorage the downtown and south addition areas are very neighborly. We lived in Chugiak and never knew anyone. We knew our neighbor's names within a few days of moving in. Girdwood was very friendly in the early 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska