Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 04:07 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times

Advertisements

Her show was in the Cross-hair, too!
'Sarah Palin's Alaska' NOT Renewed For Second Season: Report

Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
In early June, Lynda Sorenson, 52, had gone back to community college in Tucson in hopes of getting back on the job market. One of her classes was a basic algebra class--and one of her classmates was Jared Loughner,

From June 14:
"We have a mentally unstable person in the class that scares the living crap out of me. He is one of those whose picture you see on the news, after he has come into class with an automatic weapon. Everyone interviewed would say, Yeah, he was in my math class and he was really weird. I sit by the door with my purse handy. If you see it on the news one night, know that I got out fast..."

44 - Jared Loughner's behavior recorded by college classmate in e-mails

Eerie premonition. Another unstable person who didn't receive the help he needed. There's lots more like him out there, and with our toxic political environment, its bound to happen again.

The sad part is, the candidate who spits out the most partisan hatred during an election, tends to get his or her coffers filled the fastest. So it gets worse and worse with each passing election.

I'm not saying what he did was because of what anyone said. I am saying the political environment we have today makes it ripe for something like this to happen again.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Perhaps Palin and her rantings were just the catalist he needed to go forward....

The FBI has taken his computers and a safe from his parents home...time will tell

The Palin handlers must of worried now that they are busy today tidying up her social media outlets.

She better be buying that dirtbag lawyer of hers a ticket back to Anchorage
The only way that even civil litigation can be leveled against the former governor is if they find that she had personal contact with the shooter which encouraged his actions.

I think he's a garden variety sociopath--he's followed the same pattern that most "celebrity killers" have.

Again, he does have a fair amount of political rantings on the internet, and doesn't seem to hold back much, and Palin isn't mentioned.

Normally I don't give the former gov. a pass on much but those who say that she should be arrested for this are hopefully prepared to give up their own 4th Amendment rights as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,275 times
There is a big difference between what is legal and what is acceptable behavior. When we spew out ugliness, hatred and vitriol into our communities we MAY be legally within out rights, but make our selves intolerable to those around us. MS. P, and all the other spewers across all political and party lines better take note. Words do have consequences. We CAN say this is unexceptable. We CAN say we will not listen to you, support you, send you money...we CAN refuse to participate or sanction by our silence or inaction the ugliness.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,382 times
Met, I don't think Palin has any legal liabilities in this instance. But whatever little hopes Palin nursed about getting the Republican nomination for 2012 were crushed yesterday. So, in a sense, bad for Obama!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
There is a big difference between what is legal and what is acceptable behavior. When we spew out ugliness, hatred and vitriol into our communities we MAY be legally within out rights, but make our selves intolerable to those around us. MS. P, and all the other spewers across all political and party lines better take note. Words do have consequences. We CAN say this is unexceptable. We CAN say we will not listen to you, support you, send you money...we CAN refuse to participate or sanction by our silence or inaction the ugliness.
I know that. But I get tired of people wanting everyone arrested while not understanding the consequences of living in a society that has no 4th amendment protections. And I don't care much for witch hunts, bandwagons, or being insulted by brain deads because I refuse to jump on them.

I felt the same revulsion when the left had pics of Bush with a caption "snipers wanted" as I have had for Palin's metaphoric and not so metaphoric rhetoric.

Of course it's going to cross any reasonable person's mind that perhaps this sort of thing might be taken too literally by the mentally ill ... it certainly crossed mine, and should have crossed Mrs. Palin's as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Met, I don't think Palin has any legal liabilities in this instance. But whatever little hopes Palin nursed about getting the Republican nomination for 2012 were crushed yesterday. So, in a sense, bad for Obama!
Don't give up yet. She could still get the nomination

Old 01-09-2011, 04:30 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,566 times
Perhaps the one indictment of Palin that can be truthfully made is someone in her organizational staff has realized the seriousness of how deep the hole she is currently digging is actually getting. Using, as a defense to the gunsght/reload advertisement, that it was meant to be a surveyor's symbol shows the depth of the duplicity her staff is willing to espouse. The revelation that her chosen candidate in Nevada, Sharon Angle, talked about "Second Amendment Remedies" if her supporters didn't get their way at the ballot box and Sarah Palin's failure to speak out against such incendiary talk by a candidate makes the action more than causal. The real question should be can anyone offer a reasonable explanation for the meaning of the term "Second Amendment Remedies" that doesn't suggest that Palin was actually thinking that was a legitimate political response to the use of these words? That ties Palin to a record of suggesting that violence was an answer to political loss. I recall someone on this Forum once commenting on the fact this Country was founded in violence and we should be looking toward that as a solution for today's problems. There was some mention that today that solution is called treason and wasn't acceptable under our Constitution. The problem we face is the fringe element uses words that have meanings and the mentally challenged use these words as messages of suggestions that they are to follow. That these mentally challenged have access to guns, or as was suggested the alternative bombs and hijacking, to further their cause makes most of us uncomfortable. Is it easy to say there is no tight string connection between the use of cross hairs and reload and "Second Amendment Remedies" and political violence against elected leaders but are the realities of the facts less inclined to have some verification? We need to protect Americans, be they elected to high office, or merely the voters who do the selecting. Being an American involves Rights and Responsibilities and both in equal doses. Using a gun to unelect a candidate is a crime but how close is espousing or forgiving, in advance, that method to achieve that result? I'm unsure that any of those posting can argue against the Rs noted above as not applying to themselves. But how much does it apply to each and in what proportion?

Last edited by richelles; 01-09-2011 at 04:58 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
You give Ms. P far to much credit for a mind.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:34 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
You give Ms. P far to much credit for a mind.

That's what I was thinking too. Farsightedness and the effects of her word choice on all aspects of the public doesn't seem to be her strength. That being said I still don't know that this person ever saw the "map".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska