U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,878,709 times

Advertisements

[quote=stiffnecked;17361167]
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post

You just did. Stick and stones my break my bones, but your words are really tickin' me off!!!!

Thanks for lettin' me vent. I'll go back to pickin' fuzz out of my belly button now. Unless you come up with another moronic reply. Then I'm bringin' out the...........
I nie mówią po angielsku.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,116,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I think it is very likely that those politicians who used hate speech will now censor themselves. At least I hope they will. While there is no direct correlation to the gun imagary and the shootings, it can't help. Perhaps things like that contribute to the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
Yes, that's pretty similar what I've been saying all along. The best case scenario, and a fairly likely one, will be what you just described. Those who want to arrest this, sue that, gag this, and further erode the Constitution are merely contributing to the divisiveness that tearing our country apart.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:08 PM

6,949 posts, read 5,123,928 times
Sounds like some are afraid of just being held to an adult standard the continual whine of the child that will not grow up and act responsibly IMO. There is nothing eroded when adults must act like adults and monitor themselves and the behavior to comport to societies standards. The last vestage of the child is to throw a tantrum such as those here IMO. Eroding the consitution

.....give us a break.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:16 PM
YAZ

6,187 posts, read 6,802,673 times
Quote:
I think it is very likely that those politicians who used hate speech will now censor themselves. At least I hope they will. While there is no direct correlation to the gun imagary and the shootings, it can't help. Perhaps things like that contribute to the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
While most of us recognize the metaphors used by our politicians, I can see where some loonies might take them literally.

Pray for Arizona.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 PM

Don't quit your day job to go to law school anytime soon, son. The courses on Constitutional Law would no doubt give you anxiety attacks (and naturally you'd try to sue the school for that).

There's talk now that Gov. Brewer is the one to blame here due to Arizona's having very little in the way of publicly funded mental health services. Makes a bit more sense; the shooters schizophrenia was surely more of a factor in his actions than questionable rhetoric that there is no evidence that he actually even saw.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 PM

4,045 posts, read 5,443,047 times
The mentally ill are poorly taken care of almost everywhere, and we live in a world where people are busy and don't know what to do when confronted by those who need help and even when they are reported, nothing is done.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 PM

2,721 posts, read 2,234,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
It is being talked about on CNN that the District in Arizona where Sarah Palin's gunsight was shown as a District that needed to be won for the Tea Party might be something that needs to be toned down. There is a sense that the connection with it and anger could be too close for comfort. Political Vitriol is being linked to this mass shooting by the local Sheriff. It is possible that people with a mental record shouldn't be allowed to have purchased a gun as seems to be the case here. How many similar attacks since Virginia Tech have we had? And why have they occurred?
Anyone who believes Palin inspired this or had anything to do with this seriously needs to get their head examined. I didn't know Americans could be that stupid...

Old 01-11-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Anyone who believes Palin inspired this or had anything to do with this seriously needs to get their head examined. I didn't know Americans could be that stupid...
There's really only a couple of people here who believe that Palin is directly responsible for this. What most are saying is that the metaphorical rhetoric employed by some people in the public eye has contributed to a cultural atmosphere which makes the actions of people such as the shooter more likely to take place than if it did not exist. There's a bit of truth in that.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
The mentally ill are poorly taken care of almost everywhere, and we live in a world where people are busy and don't know what to do when confronted by those who need help and even when they are reported, nothing is done.
Yeah...seems like everyone's scrambling around trying to place blame. There's an interesting discussion in the AZ forum about it.

From...well, a legal standpoint I suppose...his mental condition was the major contributing factors in the murders he committed.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,814,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
It is being talked about on CNN that the District in Arizona where Sarah Palin's gunsight was shown as a District that needed to be won for the Tea Party might be something that needs to be toned down. There is a sense that the connection with it and anger could be too close for comfort. Political Vitriol is being linked to this mass shooting by the local Sheriff. It is possible that people with a mental record shouldn't be allowed to have purchased a gun as seems to be the case here. How many similar attacks since Virginia Tech have we had? And why have they occurred?
You mean this image:

"Targets for Democratic Gains in 2004"

Or perhaps this image:

Clicking on the bullseye in the above image makes it clear what the little red targets represent:

They even provide a helpful legend:

Once again, the hypocrisy of the anti-American leftists is palpable.

If you are looking to "tone down the rhetoric" I suggest you begin with your hypocritical anti-American leftist President who advises that "if they bring a knife, we'll bring a gun."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska