U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 AM

2,517 posts, read 5,564,561 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Alaska. There is plenty of flat water in this state that can still bring you into remote and wild country. I own two canoes and have used them since I was a kid. I'm not into kayaking that much but my son does like it and is in the market right now for one for this summer.

I have canoed many miles on the big rivers like the Koyukuk, Yukon, Tanana, and Kuskokwim and can tell you that you will enjoy it. I like a lot of the smaller rivers better because you will find less motor boat traffic. But still, on many of those rivers you can travel for hours without seeing anyone at all.

You might want to look into good inflatable or foldable boats to allow you to fly in and out of more remote locations if you can handle being all by yourself with no one to rescue you if you are in trouble. Only do that if you understand what you are getting into and a really ready for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 AM

437 posts, read 614,613 times
Welcome DIB, I hope you enjoy your visit to Alaska (if you get to make the trip). My Great Grandmother was from Denmark, though I do not know where in Denmark.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM
DIB DIB started this thread

10 posts, read 10,527 times
Hi Marty
Thanks..
I did travel along the Russian border, from Kirkenes in Norway down the Finish/russian broder. That was 15 years ago - but I still remember that month with great pleasure ( dont know if you can use a word like that to describe that feeling )
Here in DK we have, - by law - 6 weeks vacation every year. Going 1 week to Polen and 1 weeks to Russia - and have to save 1 week for christmas/vinter. Leaves me with 3 weeks, which ..I think.. is not enough to paddle ex. candalar or upper porcupine like down to the Ft.Yukon. ? ?
But I really do prefer the smaller rivers with no motorboat traffic at all..

I am sure your son will love kayaking ! I have two small filmclips on YouTube.:
Kajak South Denmark I ..and II . great fun..you wouldènt understand it, as I speak danish - but it shows the fun one can have with an kayak..!
Small clips from my area and kayakrolls.
As Greenland is to Denmark..you can imagine from whom great hunters we have picked up that "sport"..

If I would start out from Fairbanks - with 3 weeks, transportation by car out to a river by super cub..what would you recommand ?? ( I dont have an Alley, folding boat, as they are extremly expensive here in scandinavia)
Did you know the Beaver River, north of Fairbanks ? it runs into the Yukon - and one can be picked up at the bridge further south ( or west) but how long time would I have to spent on the Yukon ( dont like to big rivers) before reaching the bridge..?

If I can stay 3 weeks on the Beaver ( dont mind staying a day or 2 on the same spot to enjoy life) and like beeing picked up, where it runs into the Yukon, flying back to Fairbanks, spending 2 days there..and finally have spent 3 weeks in total in Alaska - would be great, as I would like to see a llittle of Fairbanks aswell..
Is that a plan..?? or ..let me hear what you guys thing about that ! and/or if you have other ideas !

Have a nice weekend..best regards DIB

Last edited by DIB; 01-14-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Hi akravenlady !

If you have any details regarding your great grandmother, It would be my pleasure to try and find some informations for you ! Denmark is small. 5 mill people in total. 1.2 lives in København. Registres are very efficient here.

Everyone should know he or hers roots and background ...

Best regards..DIB

Last edited by DIB; 01-14-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 PM

HI DIB, It's probably you who posted about a similar subject over on the Alaska Canoeing forum. I think the trip posted about the Alatna would be a great trip. You can rent these canoes...either a pack canoe or an inflatable canoe.

If you want to go really light weight you could use a packraft. Here is a good video of one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7AiVk8xxv0

Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 PM

..you fast !!
Thanxs a lot for the video ! never seen a boat like that !!..
but the technik and the paddle is very familiar to me ..
These inflateable boats..are they strong ? I mean on rocks etc... ?
They seem very fragile to me.. but maybe they are not..?!

Do they come in just a little bigger size..? and what is a "packcanoe" ?

Thanks in advance..

( got myself a dictionary today ..have to use it )

Old 01-15-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIB View Post
..you fast !!
Thanxs a lot for the video ! never seen a boat like that !!..
but the technik and the paddle is very familiar to me ..
These inflateable boats..are they strong ? I mean on rocks etc... ?
They seem very fragile to me.. but maybe they are not..?!

Do they come in just a little bigger size..? and what is a "packcanoe" ?

Thanks in advance..

( got myself a dictionary today ..have to use it )
I don't have one...but I want one... They seem pretty tough.

Check these out. But remember these people are extremely skilled. I have no desire to do that, but it does show what pack rafts can do. For me...the best thing about them is that they weigh less than 10 pounds. You can carry them around the bad stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XI_G5UqwCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Luv...eature=related

Old 01-15-2011, 03:16 PM

Well even though a play/surf kayak is very easy and fast to roll - I would not like to ride waters like these...just the idea getting my head under water, even for less than 2 seconds - is enough to imagine, what would happen if you "meet" a rock under water..

These packrafts gotta be very strong, since they use them in this class of water. But they seem also very small, not leaving much place for your gear.....will have to bring my flyrod to see, if your graylings are bigger than ours.....

Do the boats come in diff. sizes..?.. and do you know the price.. ?

Best regards..DIB

Old 01-15-2011, 03:36 PM

222 posts, read 302,071 times
Different sizes and prices.

https://www.alpackaraft.com

Old 01-15-2011, 04:31 PM

21,337 posts, read 30,708,085 times
The pack rafts work great, these guys biked/walked/rafted the Alaska coast.

Lost Coast Bike Expedition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: