U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:37 PM

274 posts, read 764,426 times

Advertisements

Moving to Fairbanks and looking into buying a drive thru coffee hut. anyone have any idea as to where to locate and possible cost of the business start up and possible monthly income revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,045,634 times
Wouldn't that kinda depend upon just how good of a cup of coffee you can brew???

Old 01-09-2011, 03:54 PM

878 posts, read 1,438,405 times
If you're buying an existing hut, you'll want to get a copy of their Schedule C to ascertain whether or not they made a profit. That would be used to determine how much you would pay for the business as well as expected monthly/yearly revenue. If you are looking at building and starting your own, the associated costs would be determined by a number of factors including leases, equipment (new vs. used), material costs, etc. I don't think you're going to get that information here. A big part of starting a new business is doing that research, as well as a market analysis, which is quite time consuming.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:01 PM

16,609 posts, read 28,775,608 times
Well, right now it's very difficult to just buy a location to have a "coffee hut," simply because all the right locations are already taken. There are drive-through coffee shops all over town, and most are owned by two or three people. For example, one owner has one in front of the Fred mayer store at Airport Way, another across American Tire, and another in North Pole. Then another owners has similar huts across the streets from the first ones. Other huts I can remember: one near the AT&T shop in North Pole, one not too far from MJ Rentals on the Richardson, another on the Old Steese Highway not too far from Home Depot, and one in every store in town. Fred Mayer has the Starbucks stands in each of their stores, too. Then Barns & Noble has a coffee shop, and so forth. There is another coffee stand at Peger Road (across DMV), and I am certain that I have forgotten to mention a few more.

These coffee-stand owners compete with each other, which is not a bad thing for the consumer. For example, I remember paying around $2.50 (plus tip) for a 12oz cup of Americano in one of the coffee stands in North Pole. Then another coffee stand opened its doors right across the street and I could buy the same cup of coffee for $1.50 The line got long at this new location, so the other coffee stands had to match the price. The same has happened in Fairbanks, where the "same newcomer" in North Pole asked $1.25 for the same cup of Americano: all the other stands had to lower their prices

But if you have enough cash, you may be able to buy one of the coffee-stand chains (several owned by one person or two).

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-09-2011 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 01:31 AM

15,595 posts, read 35,284,806 times
Somebody needs to lay off the coffee, or start using decaf!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 PM

740 posts, read 1,762,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Somebody needs to lay off the coffee, or start using decaf!
lol, i was pretty much thinking the same thing.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:54 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,965,532 times
Alaskans sure seem to like your coffee!!!

Any chance on getting a cortadito? Cafe con leche in AK???

Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 PM

740 posts, read 1,762,953 times
We might have Seattle beat for sheer amount of drive through espressos per square mile, lol. Usually little cuties running the stands! Yes, we do have SOME cuties in Alaska.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:56 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,965,532 times
More coffee shop than seattle... That is quite a feat!!

I don't usually drink coffee. When I visit in the summer I won't be able to partake...

Although if they sell hot chocolate my kids will want some!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:19 AM

15 posts, read 23,985 times
Default Great stuff that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Alaskans sure seem to like your coffee!!!

Any chance on getting a cortadito? Cafe con leche in AK???

I was in Miami for a couple of years and one of my co-workers was Cuban. He made authentic Cafe con leche by hand every morning for those who wanted it. I tried a it once since he put it in what looked like a tiny toy cup. Didn't get anything done after that as I ran around in circles all day...

Charles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska