U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-16-2007, 06:44 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,227,150 times
Default AK year - month by month?

(Ok, just so you know, I live in another Arctic country)

One thing that constantly comes to people's mind when hearing "Alaska" is that it is a cold place with snow 10 months a year, no summer and no flowers. Basically just one season. Winter.

Trying to prove them wrong, one constantly hears the argument: "no, not 10 months, just 8 or 9" or other answers of that kind. But never any details.

So, how does a normal AK year look like (in differnt parts of the state)?
When does the first snow fall, what are the temperatures like, when does the first flower come up (and which?) and which one marks the end of the warmer period?
What are the indicators of the different seasons (animals, flowers, ets)? Tourist seasons? What do they do?

How is the year, month by month, conserning temperatures, weather, people, animals etc.?

Many questions, but that's what you need to get a better picture of the 49th state, right?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-17-2007, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 9,056 times
Hej! I haven't been here long, but I hope the little I have seen can help u.

The climate through the year is very similar to Sweden, I'll say warmer than Oslo and a bit cooler than Stockholm. The vegetation is different, since the soil stays so long frozen, the trees don't grow too tall and there is less variety. Mainly birch and some varieties of Pine.

First snows: end of october/beginning of November. Pull over/Light jacket weather.

From Mid December to March is really really cold, just like over there, sorry can not help you with the temperatures cause here is Farenheit, and I still haven't gotten the hang of it.

In april you can start seeing the first bloomings, a little purple flower, (pasque or easter flower) and also the first tourists. Downtown gets totally different with all the people from other States and abroad. The city is decorated really nice with flowers everywhere..Pots, hanging baskets, really cute. Too bad not many tulips, that makes me sad..

Summer comes end of may, and follows through june, july and august. Weather is grrrreat and you can really enjoy it cause the daylight lasts so much. July you can wear your shorts or tank tops if it is not raining. There is a little plant called Fireweed, they say when it finishes blooming, summer end is approaching. Then you know, it starts getting colder gradually.

I am giving you info on Anchorage, which is the most populated city the rest of the state is very different. Just as Sweden, it is so large, you can not fold it all into a single description.

Life is very paced. It has a small town feeling with a commercial district. The population is very mixed and very tolerant, barely about 300,000. Natives (esquimos), people from other states, from Hawaii, Philipines, LatinAmerican and yes, some from Scandinavia.

Anchorage is surrounded by mountains, the scenery is beautiful any time of the year. You can still find moose and squirrels and birds and even sometimes bears in the neighbourhoods around it. If you go outside of the city is another story. super wild. that's where it is richer, in the variety of fauna and just the views are breathtaking. You name it: Bears, Eagles, Fish, otters, Moose, Deers, even penguins.

Living is expensive, but they have a lot of tax exemptions to motivate pple.
If you are an outdoorsy person, planning a vacation is a great place to visit. But if just to visit....Make sure it is summer!!

Hope it helped. Have a good one.

W.

Unread 07-17-2007, 09:20 AM

14,619 posts, read 22,896,479 times
Alaska does not have penguins. At least not in the wild. We do have polar bears tho. Unlike the antarctic which has penguins but no polar bears. And the winter is not always really really cold. I get rain in January most years and I'm only 120 miles south of Anchorage. Up in the interior gets mighty cold. I've seen 3 foot of snow by Halloween...or no snow but zero temps. February is usually the coldest month in my area. March warms up and snows. And winter is just as good to visit as summer. Lot's of skiing, ice fishing, snowmachining in the mountains, and the colder air really makes the mountains stand out. And the fur rondy celebration!

Unread 07-17-2007, 09:32 AM

3,389 posts, read 8,516,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Alaska does not have penguins!
*cries bitterly* but..but... mannnnn. I perked up when there was mention of that in the last post.

WHAT's A FUR RONDY?

Unread 07-17-2007, 10:10 AM

731 posts, read 1,064,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlekitten View Post
*cries bitterly* but..but... mannnnn. I perked up when there was mention of that in the last post.

WHAT's A FUR RONDY?
My buddy Rondy got tanked one night, and we found him wearing nothing but animal furs. Now everyone calls him Fur Rondy, and we have a huge festival in celebration of that glorious night. Oh no, that isn't right.

Fur Rondy is a Native Alaskan winter festival that kicks off the Iditarod dog sled race. The festival itself is in February, and occurs here in Anchorage. It is a lot of fun. Many local businesses participate in the festival and throw various events. The bar called "the Peanut Farm" really gets into it. At the Dimond Center Mall you will see hundreds of Native Americans selling all kinds of hand-crafted items. We even have a winter Carnival.

Unread 07-17-2007, 10:33 AM

15,400 posts, read 13,849,178 times
She probably means puffins instead of penguins. I think they are related to each other.

Unread 07-17-2007, 10:41 AM

3,389 posts, read 8,516,191 times
Can we pet puffins?

Unread 07-17-2007, 10:49 AM

731 posts, read 1,064,817 times
Yep, flocks and flocks of the little guys. Especially in Seward.

Unread 07-17-2007, 11:13 AM

14,619 posts, read 22,896,479 times
They are kinda shy. But they do look cool. Visit the sealife center in Seward and you'll see some live in the one pond type exibhit for sea birds. Matter of fact stop by this link and you can watch pinnipeds (sea lions) on the rookery via web cam. Purdy cool! Click on the research tab for Chiswell Island Live Video.

Alaska SeaLife Center Home Page

Unread 07-17-2007, 12:29 PM

144 posts, read 489,438 times
Default Quick Seasons

I am in Fairbanks... and as previously stated... it's colder.

Mid-August = Fall. Falling temperatures, turning leaves, but beautiful. Lasts through mid-September.
October = Winter. We could not trick-or-treat outdoors this year, as already had a couple feet of snow. Based on personal experience/memory and not a chart... first snowfall "that sticks" is mid-October. *Worth noting is that the Interior truly does not get much snowfall. It's very cold and dry.
Jan-Feb = intolerable cold. 2006 had a week or two of -50, this past year wasn't that bad (merely -30s... sheesh!)
April = Snow in the ditches, grass is still brown but signs of life are coming back by end of the month.
May = grass starting to green up. In warmer areas, grass is getting green. Example - school playgrounds in town are green. Get out of town a little to a higher elevation and it's all still v. brown. Late May may have fledgling flowers in the warmer areas.
June = spring. All is green and beautiful and paradise. Even Anaktuvuk is greening by late June.
July-Mid-August = Summer. Temps 75-85 (F) as high. However last weekend it was 50 (F) as I set up my tent at 10pm at Tangle Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska