U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:57 PM

20,960 posts, read 21,202,629 times
They aren't marked, everyone knows where things happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 05:44 PM

2,485 posts, read 3,657,382 times
Way up river, upstream from Mcgrath there is a place called the boneyard. I know there is one on the Yukon too. But this is a place where the river hits a bluff straight on and keeps digging away at it.

Lost a brand new Mercury outboard there once...hit a log and the last time I saw it it was about 6 feet in the air spinning toward the water. All I know is that it is really deep there. We couldn't get anything to even touch the bottom, let alone find that outboard. If anyone finds it let me know.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 AM

15 posts, read 12,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Way up river, upstream from Mcgrath there is a place called the boneyard. I know there is one on the Yukon too. But this is a place where the river hits a bluff straight on and keeps digging away at it.

Lost a brand new Mercury outboard there once...hit a log and the last time I saw it it was about 6 feet in the air spinning toward the water. All I know is that it is really deep there. We couldn't get anything to even touch the bottom, let alone find that outboard. If anyone finds it let me know.
Marty, sorry to hear about your lost outboard. I remember having a nice new 6/0 combination butted down in one of those bolt-on rod holders my friend put on his boat for the trip. Don't know what happened but all I heard was reeeeeeeeeeeeee......POP! Turning around saw rod, reel and half
a holder flying through the air... I know the helpless sinking feeling (no pun intended) you probably had although your OB was certainly more valuable.

Don't know when I will make it up that far being centered in Bethel but being a geek I do have the electronics that may be of assistance in finding it. I dabbled in commercial fishing at one time and still have all my stuff including an infrared underwater video system for locating hung anchors. Do you have GPS numbers? If everything works out and I make my move, I wouldn't mind if rode along on a trip up and took a looks-see. Pm me in a couple months and we'll see where I'm at in my move if you think it's worth the effort.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelpioneer View Post
Marty, sorry to hear about your lost outboard. I remember having a nice new 6/0 combination butted down in one of those bolt-on rod holders my friend put on his boat for the trip. Don't know what happened but all I heard was reeeeeeeeeeeeee......POP! Turning around saw rod, reel and half
a holder flying through the air... I know the helpless sinking feeling (no pun intended) you probably had although your OB was certainly more valuable.

Don't know when I will make it up that far being centered in Bethel but being a geek I do have the electronics that may be of assistance in finding it. I dabbled in commercial fishing at one time and still have all my stuff including an infrared underwater video system for locating hung anchors. Do you have GPS numbers? If everything works out and I make my move, I wouldn't mind if rode along on a trip up and took a looks-see. Pm me in a couple months and we'll see where I'm at in my move if you think it's worth the effort.
I live hundreds of miles away from there now. And the water there is murky brown. Won't find anything with a camera. Like the Yukon, the Kuskokwim is muddy brown.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 AM

Default Best way to get your boat to Bethel?

While I'm waiting for all the processing to be done on the employment end I am researching how to best transport a boat to Bethel on a limited budget. Its a 28' diesel on a stout aluminum trailer. Also have a diesel dually to pull it.

Putting it on a barge at some point seems to be the only way to get it actually to Bethel. If anyone has any pointers on this please let me know.

Charles

Old 01-15-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
I live hundreds of miles away from there now. And the water there is murky brown. Won't find anything with a camera. Like the Yukon, the Kuskokwim is muddy brown.
Kind of like the Suwannee here a lot of tannin and silt in the water makes it near impossible to see.

I was surprised that you were up...

Charles

Old 01-15-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelpioneer View Post
Kind of like the Suwannee here a lot of tannin and silt in the water makes it near impossible to see.

I was surprised that you were up...

Charles
Yeah...shouldn't be up. Just got back from taking my Son to a weekend camp in Willow. -25 in Willow. -5 here with 80mpg gusts. Kinda hard to sleep anyway.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah...shouldn't be up. Just got back from taking my Son to a weekend camp in Willow. -25 in Willow. -5 here with 80mpg gusts. Kinda hard to sleep anyway.
Had to leave, but just wanted comment on the -25/80mph camp. Wow, now those are kids! Going to email my son your comment who has two of his own and tell him to getum out of the house it's only 31 for goodness sake.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Default Small vessel dockage

Looks like I may have a problem with getting a slip depth wise and other

http://www.bethel.govoffice.com/vertical/Sites/%7B86032ACB-92B0-4505-919A-3F45B84FECD9%7D/uploads/%7B8638EF17-F9E7-4C13-90C2-19CADA393204%7D.PDF (broken link)

How are the local ramps for launching?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 AM

Default Signing off for now Tues actually

My position opened up wider so I need to move out of my house in order to sell it and say so long for awhile. Thank you for the pointers on this thread and others.

I am going to document my move on film for those who plan on moving to Alaska giving an Idea of the things you have to do and what the experience is like.

I will be leaving Carrabelle Florida a little town on the Gulf of Mexico and make Bethel Alaska my new home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLaFKtzfF6Q

To: Embracing a new culture and a new way of life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VCzaxFt5SY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska