U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:51 PM

205 posts, read 658,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
It's crazy that we, the citizens of Alaska, can't drive to the Capital.
Does somebody want to drive a car to Juneau? Do you? Or, maybe your argument is that isn't where the Capital should be?

People argue about a road alot and they seem to be really 50/50 divided on the matter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,311,248 times
There is no way to build a road directly to Juneau. It's got glaciers on 2 sides and then water on the other 2 sides.
"The road" arguement has been going on since before I got here. It's basically blasting the sides out of mountains beginning at the north forty mile marker all the way to Lynn Canal and then building another ferry terminal that will make the trip to Haines 50 miles. Cost vs maintanance vs environmental impact vs "does it even make any sense" arguement goes on and on.
I think Warpt was hinting that the capital would possibly be better of somewhere else....likely Anchorage.

He has a point.

But back to the OP's original point, yea, this place has some amazing scenery. People come here and go OHHH...AHHH at all the scenery and after a few years you get like everyone else and say "yea that's a mountain, so what".
But a lot of folks are starting to realize you can't eat scenery.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 PM

339 posts, read 523,634 times
I'm finally heading down that way for a weekend in March. I've really seen every corner of the state except the southeast. So I'm excited!

On that note, I'm going for work but will have a couple evenings to explore. Any advice on what to see? I'm not incredibly into doing touristy stuff, but I think I'd like to see the capital building. I suppose it will still be too dark and too cold for any hiking? Are there any interesting museums or anything like that?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:48 PM

March is not too bad, will still have some snow, but trecking around is do-able.

Pretty good museum downtown, stop by any downtown coffee shop (Heritage) and get a free tour guide. Once you get downtown everything is pretty much within walking distance. But you need to do it during the day, it pretty much shuts down after 6 pm (except for the bars..).

Old 01-15-2011, 09:20 PM

Darn. Well I'll be in a conference downtown from 7:30a to 4:40p both days, so I might miss out. Maybe I can catch the museum over lunch- it does look pretty cool and admission is free.

Do you have recommendations for trails/parks with good scenery? I'm thinking I'll be able to catch the sunrise and sunset and get some good pictures. Any parks or areas of town I should avoid, or is it a pretty safe place?

Also, recommendations on downtown restaurants/cafes?

Last edited by puff5655; 01-15-2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 11:21 PM

5,260 posts, read 3,770,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post
Darn. Well I'll be in a conference downtown from 7:30a to 4:40p both days, so I might miss out. Maybe I can catch the museum over lunch- it does look pretty cool and admission is free.

Do you have recommendations for trails/parks with good scenery? I'm thinking I'll be able to catch the sunrise and sunset and get some good pictures. Any parks or areas of town I should avoid, or is it a pretty safe place?

Is your conference at Centennial Hall? If so, the state museum is right across the road. The downtown museum is a few blocks up from Egan Drive, up towards the back hills of town. The Governors Mansion is just a few minutes walk from the downtown museum.

Marine Park and boardwalk is where the cruiseships come in - downtown and close to City Hall. Most everything is shut down around there right now, but it is still nice to walk the boardwalk, see the bronze statue of Patsy Ann: Patsy Ann: Famous Alaskan Bull Terrier , look over at Douglas Island, see the great painting on the back side of the parking garage/downtown library, check out the Miners Statue and then the Red Dog etc. Just wander around downtown - there's plenty to see.

Lots of homeless folks standing around downtown after dark - a bit creepy to be honest. But you'll enjoy walking around during lunch and any breaks you have.

Get some sunrise and sunset pictures off the channel with Douglas in the background. Gorgeous.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post
yes, hit Heritage for a really decent cup of coffee, and Valentines for lunch at least once. Both downtown.

Valentines always has awesome soup, different everyday, you can get a "bowl and a roll" (we called it a bowl and a bomb.....it's a huge yeast roll that will stick with you for at least 8 hours..lol)

They got something for everyone....

Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Lots of homeless folks standing around downtown after dark - a bit creepy to be honest. But you'll enjoy walking around during lunch and any breaks you have.
Agreed...Franklin and Front Street are like somethin out of a zombie movie after 6 pm.

Until tourist season starts, there is nothing going on downtown except for a few places to eat and bars. It's a closed up dark wasteland. That all changes in May when Carnival opens up their shops.....

Last edited by DannyL; 01-16-2011 at 12:38 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 AM

Taking notes... thanks guys. Yep, I'll be Centennial Hall, so this is perfect. Patsy Ann's story is great, too, I hadn't heard of her. Her statue'll be something to check out too, for sure. Can't wait to get there!

Old 01-16-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Agreed...Franklin and Front Street are like somethin out of a zombie movie after 6 pm.
Well that does sound creepy. I think I'll avoid that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska