U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 PM

225 posts, read 308,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
The pilots who fly for ERA, especially the older, more experienced ones, have plenty of great stories to tell, and a few of them have been shown on the show. I think you are being kind of over the top about the whole BUSH thing. I consider a village like Koyuk to be in "the bush", and I was under the impression that most other people do too. John Ponts and Jim Tweto, specifically, are phenomenal pilots, and some of those landings that Jim does on a routine basis would make most people get so nervous they would pass out.

Having some flight hours in my logbook, I know what it feels like to fly a plane, and it's not a walk in the park. It's not easy, and it requires a ton of training to be at the level of flying skill that guys like Jim Tweto have achieved. Basically what I'm saying is: do you feel like you could get in a plane and go out and do the things that Jim does, even just the things they show on the TV show? Because I have actually had some early flight training and can fly a plane (at a very rudimentary level, that is), and I would NEVER attempt to do what they do until I had well over 1500 hours in the books. But you know, I like being alive.

I don't fly a plane and won't but, in my 63 years of living in the bush, I bet I have as many hours in a bush plane as a lot of them. I have been involved in many emergency landings on water as on the land. Some it took 1 to 5 days to get out or rescued. Couple of times had to walk out. I don't think you are understanding what I am talking about. I know that Koyuk is a bush village but the day to day operations of an airport whether on the road system or not isn't that interesting to me. Oh never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 11:56 PM

1,978 posts, read 2,935,695 times
No, I understand what you're saying: you just aren't interested in the subject matter of the show. Fair enough, really. Your life is wildly outside the experience of almost everyone in the US, living in a village of 152 people in the Arctic, with no roads or anything. That's a very extreme way of living, and while I admire your ability to do it and passion for it, you can't expect the average person to understand what that's like. Also, riding in a plane and flying one are VASTLY different.

Still, I like the show. I like the Tweto's, and the show portrays bush/off-the-road-system living in a positive way. It's the best reality program about Alaska that I've ever seen.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:57 PM

843 posts, read 1,544,141 times
yes, but you are not the average TV viewing audience. for the average TV viewing audience, the airport in UNK is still distant and exotic, and to see a day in the life of an era pilot is exciting enough. from what i've seen, i like how varied the show is. it does have the exciting landings in scary places, it has the drama of young pilots trying to work their way up, it has character development, and all of the day to day operations.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:01 AM

6,286 posts, read 10,887,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I think you are being kind of over the top about the whole BUSH thing. I consider a village like Koyuk to be in "the bush", and I was under the impression that most other people do too. .
And people think I am crazy. You've never even been to the BUSH. Good grief. Have you no CORK?? You don't have to comment on stuff you know nothing about. After you've been to the BUSH come back and comment.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 AM

1,978 posts, read 2,935,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
And people think I am crazy. You've never even been to the BUSH. Good grief. Have you no CORK?? You don't have to comment on stuff you know nothing about. After you've been to the BUSH come back and comment.
I don't know what "cork" is or why you have to type things in bold so often, but a person who lives in the bush just basically agreed with what I said. I don't know as much about the bush as someone who lives there, but that wasn't the point of the post, and I know a good bit more than nothing about it thanks to some of the informative members of this forum. I spend a fair amount of time reading about Alaska and talking to people, either on the internet or in real life, who live there or have lived there, so I know more about it than you seem to think.

Wait, I forgot. I shouldn't be feeding the troll. Where's your bridge, and why aren't you under it?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
And people think I am crazy. You've never even been to the BUSH. Good grief. Have you no CORK?? You don't have to comment on stuff you know nothing
about. After you've been to the BUSH come back and comment.
HMMMM! Interesting, he's never been to the Bush?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
HMMMM! Interesting, he's never been to the Bush?
Or Alaska.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Or Alaska.
WOW, can't say I've ever had an outsider educate me about Alaska. Now, this is a first for me.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:40 AM

21,337 posts, read 30,931,907 times
No arguing in my thread!

Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 AM

I'm done. I like the show. I'll admit it's 2 times better then Gold Rush. Pretty good flying drama and what not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska