U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:00 AM

15 posts, read 67,470 times

Advertisements

Hey, all I've posted about how cars will handle the cold here before, but I'm considering buying a 94 Ford Explorer 4x4 (always wanted one because of Jurassic Park haha) and giving my 1991 Mercedes-Benz 300E to my dad while I take the Explorer up to AK when I move there hopefully within the next year or so.

So would I be okay in Fairbanks with the Mercedes? Or would you recommend going for the Explorer with a higher clearance and 4x4? I don't know if y'all have lots of independent mechanics that work on Mercedes which makes me wonder if bringing it up there would be a good idea due to lack of available parts and mechanics should it need work. Where as a Ford is almost universal Lol

My little Mercedes is a tuff car, but I'm worried that if I hit lots of snow or bad terrain and even trucks WITH 4x4 are having trouble, I'm going to be crap outta luck so I don't know what I should do, I'm guessing just going for the Explorer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,325,341 times
Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz...

There are many types of vehicles in Fairbanks. Should be okay, but I'm sure your old man would love the car. Why buy such a old Explorer? The later models are a lot better looking.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 AM

5,352 posts, read 15,867,041 times
The Mercedes will probably be able to handle the conditions here. The problem will be finding a shop for maintenance and repairs. Getting non-standard parts will be a problem too. I believe there is a Mercedes dealer in Anchorage, but that's not going to help you much in Fairbanks.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM

20,437 posts, read 26,572,905 times
What I worry about when driving a car that's fairly low to the ground is hitting a moose...real possibility if you drive much out of town. I'd get a vehicle that's higher off the road just for that reason.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 AM

5,352 posts, read 15,867,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What I worry about when driving a car that's fairly low to the ground is hitting a moose...real possibility if you drive much out of town. I'd get a vehicle that's higher off the road just for that reason.
You know the solution to that? You just don't hit a moose.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 AM

11,836 posts, read 24,982,068 times
Why not just put a lift kit on the Mercedes?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM

1,926 posts, read 3,911,136 times
I know a guy here in Anchorage that has a 1964 Mercedes. He bought it NEW and has lived here his whole life.

I have also owned a Mercedes when we lived in CA and loved that car! What a dream. Amazing what craftsmanship can do for a car. {sigh}

But for Fairbanks, I'd probably pick a sturdy 4x4 or all wheel drive like a Subaru. Are you planning on doing a lot of off-roading?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM

11,970 posts, read 10,775,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Why not just put a lift kit on the Mercedes?
would that be a BenzHeffenlifter?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 PM

16,177 posts, read 27,465,249 times
Even several UAF students drive Mercedes. I know this girl who drives a very large and older Mercedes her father gave to her. It burns oil, but she carries a few quarts in the car Anyway, her car is AWD, but only when the computer senses a wheel skid.

There are Mercedes, BMW, and all kinds of cars all over Fairbanks.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:44 AM

15 posts, read 67,470 times
Thank you all for the replies!

I'd love to take my Mercedes up with me, it certainly save me money so I wouldn't need an Explorer (even though I really want one ) but I just worry that when I want to take a harsh road I won't be able to or a trail, I can't. I want to drive the Dalton Hwy all the way and I'm sure my Mercedes could do it, but I'd make sure to go in spring or summer. But having a high clearance and 4x4 would make me feel much safer. The Mercedes I drive now only really has ABS and a "anti skid" differential, no AWD

I want to "drive" Alaska, not just the paved roads, I'm really torn between what I should take, my Mercedes has been good to me and I'd love to take her up, but I would think an Explorer is just more practical for what I want to do and when I want to go off road and have some fun I can do it.

I'd love to drive around Alaska in this bad boy:

I'm a Jurassic Park nerd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or