Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 PM

3,173 posts, read 3,853,544 times

Advertisements

First let me say that SityData was right on the money. I went out, took the pictures, put my camera in the case, went home and it was fine.

Here are the links to the pictures I took. My next question is, why is the snow blue? I know it's white balance, but what do I do with it?

PictureTrail: Northbrook

PictureTrail: Glen View Club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:01 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,860,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
First let me say that SityData was right on the money. I went out, took the pictures, put my camera in the case, went home and it was fine.

Here are the links to the pictures I took. My next question is, why is the snow blue? I know it's white balance, but what do I do with it?

the picture is just fine EXCEPT... the bears hat LOL... sorry packer fan here... I believe it was bear burgers smothered in Wisconsin cheese Sunday.. right LOL just kidding... looks like shadows to me /not too blue... great smile too

Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,663,490 times
well now...SityData stated you do NOT have to do anything such as put the camera in a case to bring it in....an this is a question to post the photos and question on the CD photography forum!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,750,829 times
Let me be the first to respond and say thank you young man!! Ye just made my day.

FIRST; the snow is not blue. It is a very common mistake to see blue. You are looking at Cyan !! If you correct for blue; your colors will be wrong

The opposite of Cyan is red. Open photoshop and move the cyan/red slider, pay close attention, now begin to TRAIN YOUR EYES. watch.

You must learn; how to look in the neutral areas of shadows, that shadow right now is cyan - you want it to look GREY. Move the red -cyan slider until YOUR EYES can begin to see grey.

This technique; require's much practice and a very through knowledge of primary & secondary colors and their relationships. Colors have very predictable results.

Red Green Blue are the primary colors (for photography)

Cyan-Magenta-Yellow are secondary or opposites.

first learn those relationships and we will continue from there. GOOD JOB

Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 PM

3,173 posts, read 3,853,544 times
Thanks, I don't have photoshop so I need to make in-camera settings.

What about this one? It's too blue or dark or something.

Yeah, anytime I'm out shooting sporting clays I'm smiling:

http://www.ysr-racer.com/

Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,497,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post

Snow looks fine to me, remember you are seeing refracted light off the blue of the sky with shadows and the like. Since the sun is out, you have blue sky up there somewhere.

You get the same off the reflection of a calm Lake at times.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,689,219 times
I'd imagine the snow absorbs or reflects the blue from the sky? Kind of like glacial ice does.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I'd imagine the snow absorbs or reflects the blue from the sky? Kind of like glacial ice does.

Of course it does; its natural; you can change the mood of any photograph warm/cold

But; There is nothing like a perfectly color corrected print. It is not hard to learn, and it also will provide the Xtra pop & punch.

Now if a color print of snow or such as was posted and that +15 of blue or cyan is present - it is no problem.

But try that on an image of a bride in a white gown and the photo is a total disaster when compared to a color corrected print.

There is nothing hard about learning how to do this, Photoshop will only get you close. very close. It is easly to learn how to make your shadows grey. Once you accomplish that, then all colors are perfect !

Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,689,219 times
I for one do not use photshop, and probably never will. My wife does, and is getting darn good with it. But then she is more along the lines of an up and coming professional, and I'm just a guy that likes taking pictures.
If a person can spare the money, I've seen first hand how it can be used to correct or play with images.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I for one do not use photshop, and probably never will. My wife does, and is getting darn good with it. But then she is more along the lines of an up and coming professional, and I'm just a guy that likes taking pictures.
If a person can spare the money, I've seen first hand how it can be used to correct or play with images.

Now that explains it all.. All this time. I was WRONG. I thought it was yew. Darn right they are extremely PROFESSIONAL LOOKING. It is so obvious.

Those images that I viewed. "did all the talking'!! I was impressed and stunned. It is not often I come across talent like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska