Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times

Advertisements

Big calibers cause massive trauma, but if they dont kill the animal on the spot it might be very mad at you.

When you fire a bullet if the bullet goes through the animal most of the energy does too. If the bullet stays in the animal the energy stays in the animal and sends it into shock. That is why smaller animals are sometimes more effective for hunting.

For moose I would recommend .223 or 5.45
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Big calibers cause massive trauma, but if they dont kill the animal on the spot it might be very mad at you.

When you fire a bullet if the bullet goes through the animal most of the energy does too. If the bullet stays in the animal the energy stays in the animal and sends it into shock. That is why smaller animals are sometimes more effective for hunting.

Not big enough. A 60 grain .223 round will have 1,330 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. You want at least 2,000 foot pounds at the point of contact. A 150 grain .3006 round will have 2,100 foot pounds of energy at 150 yards.

As far as the bullet is concerned, that is why JFP/JSP and/or JHP are used, so they do not go through the animal. The round expands upon contact.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:

For Alaska moose I would recommend the largest caliber rifle you are most comfortable with. For example, on the very light side: .270 and a somewhat similar cartridge, and then up starting with the .30-06 with a load that has 180-grain bullets, ending with the the largest caliber you can shoot well.

In relation to bullets going through, I have been able to retrieve maybe two or three from all the moose I have killed with my .338WM through the years, and most have dropped nearly on the spot after the shot. The closest one at perhaps 75 yards, and the farthest around 200+. The two that walked a very few yards after the shot before dropping to die were the first one I ever shot back in the early '80s, and then a few years later...the largest one I have killed. The 225-grain TSX zips right through, and so the former 230-grain Lubalox-coated FS, but both kill real fast.

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-20-2012 at 10:27 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
For Alaska moose I would recommend the largest caliber rifle you are most comfortable with. For example, on the very light side: .270 and a somewhat similar cartridge, and then up starting with the .30-06 with a load that has 180-grain bullets,and ending with the the largest you can shoot well.
A 130 grain .270 round will deliver 2,226 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards. If the moose is within around 120 yards, you are good to go. If it is 200 yards away, I would not take the shot.

If you use a .270 Weatherby Mag. you will get more bang for your buck. You can get 2,655 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards (which is better than the .3006). Which means you can take a moose at about 250 yards and still have more than 2,000 foot pounds of energy.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:26 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Im not a hunter but I understand physics.

Perhaps .223/5.45 is too small but you dont want to go too big. At the very most I would recommend 30-06 or 7.62x54r.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:

Perhaps .223/5.45 is too small but you dont want to go too big. At the very most I would recommend 30-06 or 7.62x54r.
It's very common to encounter bears while hunting moose, sheep, deer, and other animals. It means that if you can shoot a big rifle, by all means go for it. Something else, for Alaska hunting it's a lot more convenient to use cartridges that are most common, just in case you have to purchase ammo at the local stores. The most common cartridges in Alaska, by a very wide margin when compared to the rest, are the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM. There are others that are popular out in the bush, some that are considered quite small. For example, the .30-30 used to be quite popular years ago, but not so much these days.

While physics are important in relation to bullet size and such (SD, BC, etc.), a big bullet that passes through still leaves a big hole behind. A lethal shot (a shot on the right spot), is a lot more important than physics when it comes to killing an animal. For example: a brain shot, a shot to brake the neck (vertebrae), a heart shot, a shot to break the spine, or the brake a bear's shoulder. For most of these shots you want a bullet that can plow through fat and muscle and hold together to break skull or bone. Something else: an arrow-shot animals most often dies from bleeding (because of a wound), not necessarily because of the amount of energy from the arrow.

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-20-2012 at 10:47 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:

It all depends upon the distance you are from the target. A .3006 is perfectly capable of dropping a moose if you are within 150 yards or so. As RayinAK mentioned, even a .270 is big enough, if you are no further than 120 yards. In the end RayinAK is right, you want to use a weapon which you are most comfortable shooting and the most accurate. You certainly do not have to buy a canon, like a .458 Win. Mag, but you should pick a weapon that can at least deliver 2,000 foot pounds at a specific range and not shoot the critter unless it is within that range.

A .270, .300 Win Mag, .3006, or 7mm are all capable of dropping a moose.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.....Hey Jimbo.........

Just had another thought cross my mind.....................

The 2nd Silver Salmon run occurs in Sept on the Kenai River.............

If you can work it in, I'd strongly suggest that you try and do some time on the river.

The size of those Silvers in the 2 nd run is about 25% or more larger than those in the 1st run which is in August. As I type this, I am looking at a picture on my wall of me holding a 16 pound Silver that I caught on a Fly Rod when I was up there several years ago........really a great experience!!

Those LaCrosse brand Ankle Fit Hip Boots are (IMHO) the BEST. I still use mine here in MT 15 years after I bought them for use in Alaska. When not in use I hang them in an "air-tight" plastic bag in a dark corner of my garage. From what I've been told, that stops the ozone from degrading the rubber compound and will extend their useable life by at least double.

If I weren't so damn old, I'd try and get up the courage for one last trip up there, but as the saying goes:..."the head & heart are willing, but this 'old body' just ain't what it used to be

Again...............best of luck to you...............................
Grizz:

I appreciate the well wishes. I have no idea how this hunt is going to go or what I will encounter when I get there, but I'm hoping that I get my moose within four days then I can spend the rest of the trip fishing and hunting ptarmigan.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
I can't let myself be the a-hole Texan who brought a .223 on a moose hunt.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Grizz:

I appreciate the well wishes. I have no idea how this hunt is going to go or what I will encounter when I get there, but I'm hoping that I get my moose within four days then I can spend the rest of the trip fishing and hunting ptarmigan.
Trapper Creek, near Talkeetna, is a good place to hunt ptarmigan. Also along Petersville Road. A good dog to flush them out is advisable because ptarmigan like to run. They will fly if they have too, but they seem to prefer running more than any other game bird I have encountered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska