U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 PM

16,177 posts, read 27,491,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
I'd love to get one, been looking at a Savage for years...but I can't afford to feed the damn thing...lol
I have a Ruger M77 MKII .338WM, topped with a Leupold matte Vary-0X III 2.5-8x. But another .338Wm I would like is one made by Kimber.
------

By the way, the most difficult part for me when field dressing is separating the hind legs from the the hip, specially the flesh that has to be cut right next to the stomach/intestine. But I always let my hunting partner take care of that area. But we do it the easy way now by getting the ATV's and meat trailers next to the moose. If dark, I always have a 2000-watt Honda generator with flood lights and all. We also have a stove to heat the water for cleaning the knives and our hands, LED headlamps, a chainsaw, etc.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-27-2011 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 10:46 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,880,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have a Ruger M77 MKII .338WM, topped with a Leupold matte Vary-0X III 2.5-8x. But another .338Wm I would like is one made by Kimber.
------

By the way, the most difficult part for me when field dressing is separating the hind legs from the the hip, specially the flesh that has to be cut right next to the stomach/intestine. But I always let my hunting partner take care of that area. But we do it the easy way now by getting the ATV's and meat trailers next to the moose. If dark, I always have a 2000-watt Honda generator with flood lights and all. We also have a stove to heat the water for cleaning the knives and our hands, LED headlamps, a chainsaw, etc.
Wow Ray. You are set up. I don't usually have more than a knife and a small sport saw on my belt. If I have a headlamp I'm lucky. Sometimes I have some string to tie the legs back.

I watched an Indian man on the Yukon completely field dress a moose including cutting off the legs below the knee with nothing but a folding jackknife. It was a cleaner job than I have ever done.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,388,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Interesting. I'd guess half the deer taken in VT are taken with .22's. The preferred weapon of deer poachers here. I've heard of bears and moose taken with it too. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to shoot a moose with a .22 though, even if it was legal...they're mean enough without shooting and missing the head...

The OP mentioned ball 30-06, I hope they aren't saying they hunt big game with FMJ's, I'd aim for the head with a 30-06 if using ball ammo. Softpoints are what's best. My 8mm mauser (equal to a 30-06, the 30-06 was copied from it with minor change) will drop a black bear dead in its tracks with a good softpoint, and a friend borrowed it for moose once...
The original military designation for .30-06 was "ball, .30 caliber - 1906" so I sometimes refer to it as such. I'm not sure I fully understand the reasoning behind the illegality of FMJ ammunition, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I thought that the 8mm was more similar to the .338. I have been laboring under the assumption that a .338 WinMag is 8.3mm and I wanna say that one of the non-magnum .338's is essentially the same round fired by the 8mm Mauser, but I could be very wrong since I haven't forayed beyond 7.62 much.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,388,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Go to a local zoo and volunteer to field dress a camel.....lol
Hopefully a big, gnarly boar is decent practice, but I think anything approaching 1,000 lbs. is going to present me with a learning curve.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:04 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,257 posts, read 3,178,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I agree with DannyL and RayinAK, a .3006 with an 180-grain round is sufficient to take down a moose. You also will not be shooting further than about 100 to 150 yards. Remember, never shoot a moose standing in water!
..............When I read the last sentence in the above quote............it sure brought back memories of my first Moose hunt in Alaska.........(Sept, 1985, 3 of us in our mid 50s)...... tent camped on a point-of-land where the "Mud River" flows into the "Innoko River" from the north, about 75-85 miles WNW from McGrath. Flew from Lake Hood to MCGrath, then on to the Innoko in a Beaver. Had all our own gear: 13' River Raft; 5 hp outboard; 2 tents (one to sleep in, the other to cook & eat in); me w/ a .338; the other two guys w/ .300 mag; and about 90 yrs big game hunting experience between us on elk, MT moose, deer, black bear, antelope.......but had never shot an Alaska Moose before this trip.......

Remember now: No Outfitter; No guide; and No "Packer"!!! Each day we'd motor up River about 4 to 5 miles, shut off the motor and float down stream (glassing the banks ahead all the time) until we'd see where a moose had (very recently) crossed the river and climbed up the "muddy" river bank.

This worked very well: got 1st moose (a 63", about 9am) on day one about 75 yards from the river on solid ground......had it skinned-out; boned and back in camp by dark. Day #2, only saw (found after tracking) 2 cows; Day #3, got 2nd moose (a 67") about 25 yards from river bank, again on solid ground. Skinned it out; cut it into pieces we could handle and took it back to camp to do the boning-out. (Damn, they're big animals!)...........

Day 4 (this is the point of the story......) Didn't get out on the river until about 10:30 am (due to finishing the boning out of moose #2). About 2:30 pm, saw a 'really big' one about 250 yards ahead right on the shore eating those tender little willow twigs...... My buddy who was gettin' worried about "gettin' his moose", immediately steered the raft to the shore, got out and said he'd sneak up (through the willows) and close the distance and "nail him"......

Yea, he nailed him allright--about a half-hour later--....................... in about 20 inches of water,..... in a boggy area about 1/2 mile back from the river bank!!!!!!!! Yea, he was BIG....had a 69" wide rack. Well, it took us 2 1/2 days to get the job done on him. Never worked so hard in all my hunting years.

So, yes......never shoot one if he's in water!!!!! AND,.....Buy the BEST Quality "ANKLE-FIT" Hip Boots you can find.......worth their weight in Gold. That "black, stinking, ozzy, back-water swamp mud", will suck just regular hip boots "right off you legs" in a second!!

And yes,......it took the Beaver and a 206 to get us, the racks and all that boned meat to Mc Grath...................where we signed over about 1000 pounds and only took the back straps and some other choice cuts back to Lake Hood.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:08 AM

16,177 posts, read 27,491,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Wow Ray. You are set up. I don't usually have more than a knife and a small sport saw on my belt. If I have a headlamp I'm lucky. Sometimes I have some string to tie the legs back.

I watched an Indian man on the Yukon completely field dress a moose including cutting off the legs below the knee with nothing but a folding jackknife. It was a cleaner job than I have ever done.
You should see our campsite, ice chests, and tents! My hunting partner snores like a brown bear, so he is not allowed to sleep in my tent I sleep alone in my 8'x 10' canvas tent, on a SlumberJack large size cot. On to of the cot I have an air mattress, a Cabela's "Deluxe" foam bed (with a cotton cover), on top of this mattress a square-shape folded sleeping bag, a large quilt folded in half on top of this sleeping bag, and then the sleeping bag I tuck myself into at night. There is a medium size pillow to rest my head, of course.

Also:
-A small foldable table
-A foldable chair
-Propane heater (Mr. Heater)
-Wall-to-wall rug pieces, plus a waterproof canvas underneath
-Guns, ammo, lanterns, and so forth

My hunting partner sleeps in his 12' x 10' (maybe larger) canvas tent, and has enough stuff inside of it for his wife and two kids. His tent is at least 100' from mine, but I still hear him snore in the middle of the night.

Between the tents, in the middle of the campsite we have several coolers stuffed with frozen food, from steaks to rice and beans, and even Chinese food. Then we have several "Action Packs" full of dehydrated foods, oatmeal, raisins, onion, garlic, all kinds of spices (you name it). And hanging from the trees we have a couple of bags of potatoes, onion, cans of black olives, mushroom, eggs, pancake flour, utensils, and so forth. There is also a metallic clothes washer's drum that has an iron BBQ rack on top. We have a large stack of firewood nearby, too.

We grill steaks, fry onion, eggs, bacon, and all kinds of aromatic foods

Old 01-28-2011, 02:30 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,880,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You should see our campsite, ice chests, and tents! My hunting partner snores like a brown bear, so he is not allowed to sleep in my tent I sleep alone in my 8'x 10' canvas tent, on a SlumberJack large size cot. On to of the cot I have an air mattress, a Cabela's "Deluxe" foam bed (with a cotton cover), on top of this mattress a square-shape folded sleeping bag, a large quilt folded in half on top of this sleeping bag, and then the sleeping bag I tuck myself into at night. There is a medium size pillow to rest my head, of course.

Also:
-A small foldable table
-A foldable chair
-Propane heater (Mr. Heater)
-Wall-to-wall rug pieces, plus a waterproof canvas underneath
-Guns, ammo, lanterns, and so forth

My hunting partner sleeps in his 12' x 10' (maybe larger) canvas tent, and has enough stuff inside of it for his wife and two kids. His tent is at least 100' from mine, but I still hear him snore in the middle of the night.

Between the tents, in the middle of the campsite we have several coolers stuffed with frozen food, from steaks to rice and beans, and even Chinese food. Then we have several "Action Packs" full of dehydrated foods, oatmeal, raisins, onion, garlic, all kinds of spices (you name it). And hanging from the trees we have a couple of bags of potatoes, onion, cans of black olives, mushroom, eggs, pancake flour, utensils, and so forth. There is also a metallic clothes washer's drum that has an iron BBQ rack on top. We have a large stack of firewood nearby, too.

We grill steaks, fry onion, eggs, bacon, and all kinds of aromatic foods
Can I go hunting with you? Sometimes we have cold camps...no fire, no cooking, sometimes not even a tent...just a tarp. I'm getting to old for that. I think next year will be different.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:42 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,541,389 times
The .30-06 is a hard round to beat for most big game. If you're wanting more for the occasional Grizz encounter, then the venerable .375 H&H is a very effective round. I certainly wouldn't feel confident with a .223 confronted by a Kodiak.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,541,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Remember, never shoot a moose standing in water!
OK, I'll bite. Why not?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:49 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,590,293 times
Ohhhhhh I don't know. Maybe it's the gutting, and butchering a moose in knee deep water (or deeper) completely sucks! Usually you sink another foot if you aren't already up to your armpits in standing water.
And then...factor in about 20 lbs of mosquito's (thats alot of them things) if your in a swampy invironment.
Factor in the water temp. Cold water immersion up to your belly button, arm wrestling 1200 lbs of dead weight, mosquitoes sucking you dry...it will make a grown man cry.

And after swearing you will never...ever...hunt moose again...you find yourself right back out there the next year, crying and swearing and slapping them damn mosquito's and asking yourself, wtf was I thinking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska