Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times

Advertisements

Update - The outfitter forwarded my query to one of his guides, who had the following to say via email:

"Mr. _______,

I'm obligated to recommend that you bring more than your 3006, but that's exactly what I will be carrying.

Truly yours,

_________"

I appreciate all of your help, Alaska. Looking forward to my visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 09:46 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'd love a .338 but my .300 kicks bad enough. Both are a great long range gun.
If you get it ported, the kick goes to a fraction of what you have now, but the sonic bark is a bit hard on the ears.

I had a .375 that I shot the first time and got a pretty good jolt that I didn't plan on, got it ported after that and it made a lot nicer shooting as long as I got my ear plugs in. Now I use a .300 and I got it ported as well.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
Due to very effective marketing, and ads sold in gun magazines, lots of "old and obsolete" calibers have been discounted and tried to be proven ineffective.

For example... the 7mm mag, .308, .270 , and even that old warhorse, the .303 (which I know someone who still uses one), and of course the 30-06 and 45-70 (my 2 favs).

Funny thing tho, those old warhorses just don't seem to want to go away.

I remember "years" ago when O'Conner came out touting the .270 being the greatest thing since eternal life and Elmer Keith jumped on it calling him full of it, etc, and the war was on.
Made great print and sold a lot of magazines and books............and rifles.

BTW..no offense to any .300 or .338 owners, I'm still looking at a .338, just can't find one with iron sights and in left-hand easily.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:13 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I would not recommend the Marlin Guide gun for hunting in Alaska, unless you understand and can use its rainbow-shape bullet trajectory. How about if the OP has to take a longer than average shot on the only moose he has a chance to see before moose season ends?

For moose I would recommend any rifle the OP can shoot well out to 300 yards on a rest, from a .270 to a .375 H&H.
I'm glad to hear you say that, (well,write that) since the .270 is my rifle of choice. My normal shots on Whitetail Deer usually start about 250 yds. I can put a three shot group inside a nickle at that range. Browning A-Bolt II, Dark Grey composite stock, B.O.S.S., w/ Burris 1.5x6 signature series scope, trigger pull set just a frog fart over 3 lbs. It has been over 25 years since I have had to shoot a deer more than one time. My longest shot, on a deer, to date was just a fuzz over 600 yds, a "V" shaped shooting stick (branch) with Ace Bandage wrapped well around the V to cushion the fore-end grip. I normally would not have tried that shot but there was absolutely no wind. I too use a 3 blade pocket knife to clean deer, a small Gerber I have had for a long time, it is so sharp it scares me sometimes.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 01-30-2011 at 11:22 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Dusty,

A couple of years ago a local guide told me to try a utility knife with a roofer's blade to open the moose's hide. The blade is just like a regular blade for utility knives, but instead of a sharp point at each end of the blade, it has a hook. The inside inside area of the hook has a very sharp edge. It works very well for opening the hide of any large game. I still have to be careful over the stomach, but if the knife's angle is right, only the hide is opened without digging-in.

Here is a picture of the blade, but I buy it at Home Depot and pay around $4.00 for three or four blades, which are plenty for two moose.
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-11-961.../dp/B0002YRX54

Old 01-31-2011, 03:58 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
do men in Alaska engage in more sissified activities like golf, or is that a big no-no?

I only ask because I enjoy golfing.
Sure, golf is OK, but a .223 is usually the max for a golf course..

Old 01-31-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Dusty,

A couple of years ago a local guide told me to try a utility knife with a roofer's blade to open the moose's hide. The blade is just like a regular blade for utility knives, but instead of a sharp point at each end of the blade, it has a hook. The inside inside area of the hook has a very sharp edge. It works very well for opening the hide of any large game. I still have to be careful over the stomach, but if the knife's angle is right, only the hide is opened without digging-in.

Here is a picture of the blade, but I buy it at Home Depot and pay around $4.00 for three or four blades, which are plenty for two moose.
Amazon.com: Stanley 11-961A Heavy Duty Hook Blades with Dispenser, 100 Pack: Home Improvement
Thanks for the tip, Ray, it makes sense, of course, I wouldn't have thought of it.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Wow! Lots of good information.

I have never deboned in the field. I packed out the entire critter, hide, antlers and all. I also do not own an ATV. I use to use a tarp, like you do, but I had a come-along to help me roll the moose when one side was completed. Then I removed the hide from the other side. I then cut up the moose in about 6 or 8 pieces (usually the 4 quarters, plus the ribs and spine are in 2 or 3 pieces, and the neck). Each piece goes into a game bag (except for the antlers of course), and is as much as I can carry out, so I had to make 6 or 8 round trips to pack out the entire moose. The neck, antlers, and hide (and tarp) are the last things I pack out. I was always very mindful of how far I traveled from my pickup. I tried to stay within a mile of the vehicle, if possible. The only thing I left behind was the pile of entrails and a few internal organs. I keep the heart, but I leave behind the liver, lungs, and kidneys.

When I get the moose home and start cutting up the more managable pieces over the course of the next couple weeks, I have two "waste" piles: One for the fat and bones, and another for the bits and pieces of good meat that was trimmed off the roast or steak. The fat gets tossed, and the bones go to the dogs (but not all at once). I use the bits and pieces of trimmings for hamburger (or is it mooseburger? ). For stew meat, I typically cut up part or all of a rump roast. I usually make more roasts than stews, that is why.
Yeah, I know that one, my dogs look at me like I'm a god during Deer Season; Dogs are so good for the ego!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Yeah, I know that one, my dogs look at me like I'm a god during Deer Season; Dogs are so good for the ego!
Dogs are real good training us. Aren't they?

Old 02-01-2011, 05:57 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Dogs are real good training us. Aren't they?
yupper...from the dog digest.....leave a steaming pile in front of the door and the human knows now to get up and let me out when I whine! Human trained....bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska