Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:17 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
woot woot woot....

Is that the 'call' of a Barking Owl ? perhaps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Is that the 'call' of a Barking Owl ? perhaps
outdated aren't ya now???!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:16 PM

19 posts, read 35,367 times
I have read some threads on here that say moving to Alaska can cost upward of $10000. Is this accurate? Is it unrealistic for me to think we will be able to pack our things in a U-Haul and take a week to drive up? Am I crazy to think we could make this move this summer? I don't want to get my hopes up about moving, just to realize that we can't afford to relocate. We will not be bringing firearms (if we decide to bring any, we will ship them ahead), only furniture, household goods and clothing. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
i don't think it would cost nearly that much.
it will cost exactly what you think it does for the u-haul and transit.

once you're here, it all depends on how long you need to survive until that first paycheck. it might be strategic to come up in august to minimize those costs, yet make sure you have enough time to get a driver's license, do some shopping (if you're going to be moving to the bush, that is).

if you are going to be living on the road system, you'll need to find a place to live... how long that takes might depend on how picky you are.
if you are moving off the road system, i'd leave your furniture behind (have a garage sale). you'll also need a day or three to do your shopping and shipping in anchorage.

i would recommend 10,000 if you were moving with no job and no leads. if you've already signed a contract, there probably isn't much to worry about.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks @bortstc37!
To clarify:
We will most certainly have jobs before we make the move and are most interested in Anchorage right now. When/if we get job offers, we will begin researching apartment rentals and hopefully have a place waiting on us when we arrive. We will also probably bring one AWD vehicle and our dog, Willie, which I forgot to mention before.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbuff View Post
I have read some threads on here that say moving to Alaska can cost upward of $10000. Is this accurate? Is it unrealistic for me to think we will be able to pack our things in a U-Haul and take a week to drive up? Am I crazy to think we could make this move this summer? I don't want to get my hopes up about moving, just to realize that we can't afford to relocate. We will not be bringing firearms (if we decide to bring any, we will ship them ahead), only furniture, household goods and clothing. Thanks again for all your help!
It cost me in the neighborhood of $4000 to move myself up, the primary expenses of which were gas (I drove and hauled my own trailer), hotels, first and last month's rent on my new place, getting my utilities turned on, and my truck breaking down once along the way. I already had a job set up and a line on a place to live, so I didn't need to have much in reserve to live on during the transition. Which is good, because gas and hotels in Canada were way more expensive than I'd budgeted for.

If I were to do it over again I'd get rid of more of my stuff and not bring the trailer. I think I spent more on the gas (and definitely on the truck repair, and arguably the thing would have held together had I not been hauling) than the stuff was worth, since none of it was antiques or heirlooms or anything like that.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM

We are both officially "APPROVED"!! This means we may start the application process! We are very excited and hope to be headed toward AK by July!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Quote:
We are both officially "APPROVED"!! This means we may start the application process! We are very excited and hope to be headed toward AK by July!
Congrats!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
whhhooowaaa....congrat's to both of you! let us know how thing progress for you and the move!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,360,781 times
Quote:
My boyfriend and I are teachers in NC and looking to relocate. We both have master's degrees and 8+ years of experience. I am certified in many areas (K-12 language arts, social studies, math, and science) and he is certified PE/Health and has extensive experience as an assistant football and head baseball coach. What are our chances of getting teaching jobs? We both have an interest and some experience with special education and have considered trying to add this to our certification. What areas are affordable and fun for young professionals? We would prefer something semi-urban. Is it easy for folks from the "lower 48" to adjust? We are ready for a move and would appreciate any advice you can offer!
Thanks!!
Try location city of Gustavus, Alaska. glacier bay national park area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska