Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 PM

104 posts, read 180,071 times

Advertisements

I can't vouch for the snot thing but I remember when your blue jeans bottoms and feet are frozen, never try to warm your feet in warm water. Always start with cold water first. I thought I was pouring lava on my feet when I tried.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I feel sorry for anyone looking for info on frostbite that runs across this mess.
I agree. But you know there is some really good information in the thread. The rest of it well...

Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
In my view some of you should just take this thread with a grain of salt instead of just ridiculing the poster. What if some of the people he is referring to blow boogers or whatever on their hands? If you look into a lot of cultures you will find all kinds of stuff you may consider weird. In fact if you look into your own family (that includes yours and mine, by the way), you will find all kinds of weird stuff you don't even want to think about unless you do it yourself, of course, in which case you don't find weird

Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
So, no Inupiat hunt for polar bears? Sity tells another lie!

Limit set for Native polar bear hunters under international treaty

This is the truth!

They do hunt polar bears!

haha, typing like him now!
So how many have you hunted today warpt ??

In 30 years I have seen less than a dozen bears taken down out of necessity. IN Barrow - Point Hope and other villages they will do everything possible to get that bear out of town.

It is tooo much work & it is too dangerous because of all the vitamin A

Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
polar bears also get hunted in shishmaref, wales, diomede, and on st. lawrence island. and they get eaten, too!
there is most definitely more than one bear every three years taken down. way more...

Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
I shot a polar bear in the head, the bullet bounced off its head!

I shot it again in the head, it bounced off again!

No matter how many times I shot at it, all the bullets bounced off!

This is a real story!

He wouldn't die!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
So, no Inupiat hunt for polar bears? Sity tells another lie!

Limit set for Native polar bear hunters under international treaty

This is the truth!

They do hunt polar bears!

haha, typing like him now!
They do hunt polar bears.

There aren't as many taken now as were taken even 10 or 15 years ago, never mind 20. But they are hunted. The biggest difference is that 20 or more years ago hunters would go out specifically looking for polar bears, and that rarely ever happens any more (but does still happen now and then).

Today there are enough bears taken incidentally to fill the local needs. During spring whaling a few are shot because they hang around a whaling camp. At any time of the year we occasionally get bears coming to town. The NSB Wildlife folks try to run them off, but if the bear appears in any way to be injured, or if it comes back twice... they try to find a subsistence hunter who wants a bear. If they fail to find one, they shoot it themselves. Some years no bears are shot in town, some years several.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
polar bears also get hunted in shishmaref, wales, diomede, and on st. lawrence island. and they get eaten, too!
there is most definitely more than one bear every three years taken down. way more...
Hunting polar bear in Canada is legal. In Alaska it's illegal to hunt polar bear, but years ago it was legal for non-Natives to hunt these animals. I Don't know if this law has changed in recent years, nor do I know if Natives still can hunt them.

This is old now, and possible has changed (?):
http://alaska.fws.gov/law/pdf/polarbear.pdf

Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Quote:

I have never seen it in the 6 villages I have been in. very rare!

Years ago the white man was allowed to hunt the polar bear; 1970's they had to pay for a permit 10K for one day. That was quickly stopped and BANNED because the GREAT WHITE HUNTERS - would shoot them from airplanes !!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
I remember my first trips to that part of Alaska, because I talked to a guy in Wales who (before the Marine Mammals Protection Act of 1972) was at that time the last guy in Wales to shoot a polar bear! He'd shot it with a .218 Bee too, and had had the hide for 3-4 years when I was talking to him. He offered it for sale, and gave a price. A colleague of mine did not hesitate, he pulled out a check book and asked who to write the check to. We found out later that the reason the fellow had had the hide for so long was that he was an ornery cuss, up until then everyone he'd offered it to had wanted to argue the price. Apparently he wouldn't sell it to anyone who even so much as hinted at arguing with him. The price was... $300.

I came back to Wales 20 years later, well after the MM Protection Act had had an effect, and the first thing I notice when landing at Wales was a large skin drying rack right next to the runway that had something like 8 or 10 hides on it. Times had changed, and there were now polar bears near Wales again.

The same basic story was true at Cape Lisburne, the radar site 30 miles from Point Hope. In the 1960's there were no bears there. By the 1990's the place was (and is) literally crawling with them.

St. Lawerence Island was about the same way too. And along all of that part of the coast of Alaska there were legends about polar bear hunters (trophy hunters) flying supercubs that got lost in the weather and had to set down on a (where's Glitch, this'll terrorize him) Communist airstrip! Of course, the Russian fighter base directly across the Straits from Wales was the closest place to land, and they often did. The Ruskies fueled 'em up, fed 'em, told just as many tall tales as they did, and sent them on their way when the weather cleared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska