Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
It has never been ilegal for Alaska Natives to harvest polar bears.

The Marine Mammals Protection Act, passed in October of 1972, made it illegal for non-Native and non-subsistence hunting of polar bears in the US.
Yes. That's what I meant to say (illegal for non-Natives). I also posted the pdf file.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Should have used my .338WM, Warpt
Eskimos don't measure their manhood by the caliber of their cannons.

Most polar bears used to be taken with .22 caliber rifles, but today larger calibers are common... but not likely a .338.

However, once upon a time a fellow (who had one of the most fabulous ivory collections I've ever seen) at Savoonga was checking out my sense of humor. Turned out he liked it too. He told me that his real job was polar bear hunting, and then he casually says something like that he shoots them with a 22-250 or something like that. And he says, he lets 'em get real close too, cause he ain't scared a bit, nope not him. So, I catch on to the fact that he's angling to see if I'll take the bait, and I sort of warm up to it slowly. Yeah, I bet... but... I probably know why you're so brave! It ain't your mother's doing... Your partner, that kid who can hit anything, he's got a goll derned Elephant Gun, doesn't he? They guy just about lost it. His partner actually had a .406 Nitro, which certainly qualifies as an Elephant Gun.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
I found this on the federal website but Alaska's Fish and Game website does not address polar bears. It was updated last November of 2010 so the pdf is still accurate.

Alaska Region - Marine Mammals Management

Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
i've bought quite a few ivory (and other) carvings for a small fraction of what they would normally go for. there are a number of factors that affect the price, but you are probably already aware of those...
Somebody perhaps missed the time frame for a $300 polar bear hide... It was, as mentioned, well before the Marine Mammals Act was passed in 1972.

A lot of things were considerably lower cost before the Arab Oil Embargo happened. And that was also long before anybody who has only spent 30 years living with Eskimos ever saw an Eskimo.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I have never been seen in the 6 villages I have been in.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
1981 IN Point Hope- I purchased my first Eskimo parky. Made by the best in that village. Hilda weber.

The parky didn't have a fur ruff on it. I wanted fox; them women laughed so hard; fox is only for woman's parkys. Oh well I never knew that.

So I settled on Polar bear (what a mistake). That small piece of fur cost me $500 bux.

The mistake was - polar bear fur is not soft - it is prickly to your skin / face.

The absolute best fur for a parky ruff is - wolverine! It is the ony fur that will keep your face dry when it is snowing/raining!!

shake it once and all the moisture is gone.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:

Most polar bears used to be taken with .22 caliber rifles, but today larger calibers are common... but not likely a .338.

However, once upon a time a fellow (who had one of the most fabulous ivory collections I've ever seen) at Savoonga was checking out my sense of humor. Turned out he liked it too. He told me that his real job was polar bear hunting, and then he casually says something like that he shoots them with a 22-250 or something like that. And he says, he lets 'em get real close too, cause he ain't scared a bit, nope not him. So, I catch on to the fact that he's angling to see if I'll take the bait, and I sort of warm up to it slowly. Yeah, I bet... but... I probably know why you're so brave! It ain't your mother's doing... Your partner, that kid who can hit anything, he's got a goll derned Elephant Gun, doesn't he? They guy just about lost it. His partner actually had a .406 Nitro, which certainly qualifies as an Elephant Gun.
Caliber has nothing to do with anybody's manhood, Floyd. If it were, then your .22 above would be a "cannon" compared to a .22 Short, or a pocket knife.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Caliber has nothing to do with anybody's manhood, Floyd. A Natives use the .338WM, too. Have you forgotten the one who used a .338WM to put a hole on the Alaska pipeline?
So Ray, why do you use that howitzer? Are you also hunting a whole pipeline? Or does something that big scare the rabbits in your back yard.

Or, is it... your manhood?

You sure can't be afraid of polar bears where you live, I hope. Maybe Pink Elephants though... guess I shouldn't have jumped to the obvious conclusion.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
So Ray, why do you use that howitzer? Are you also hunting a whole pipeline? Or does something that big scare the rabbits in your back yard.

Or, is it... your manhood?

You sure can't be afraid of polar bears where you live, I hope. Maybe Pink Elephants though... guess I shouldn't have jumped to the obvious conclusion.
Don't know what you are talking about, Floyd. The .338WM is not a real big gun.

What do you shoot with your .22, Big Macs, or wabbits? I hear that you are quite a good runner, slim and fit like a willow stick, and that you can outrun a polar bear. Is that true? Can you also jump from ice pack to ice pack out at sea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson

According to what you said above, "Eskimos don't measure their manhood by caliber," and then you mention that they use a ".22 caliber." But I still agreed with you, Floyd. That's why I said that caliber has nothing to do with anybody's manhood

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-15-2011 at 11:44 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
Quote:
Don't know what you are talking about, Floyd. The .338WM is not a real big gun.

What do you shoot with your .22, Big Macs, or wabbits? I hear that you are quite a good runner, slim and fit like a willow stick, and that you can outrun a polar bear. Is that true? Can you also jump from ice pack to ice pack out at sea?

It is a well known fact in Barrow: Floyd can't run, he can 'waddle', into his truck to drive.

Although for 3 1/2 years he has RUN from the truth constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska