U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:51 PM

446 posts, read 547,077 times

Advertisements

After watching "Sarah Palin's Alaska" I've decided Alaska is the place for me and I'm planning to move up ASAP. I know, I know it's cold but last winter I spent in Seattle. I'm hoping you guys could help me with some major life decisions. First, I've got our destination narrowed down to either Wasilla, Porcupine Creek, or beautiful downtown Unalakleet--although I see lots of folks coming to this forum want to live to Barrow so I'll check that out too. I plan on quitting my job here once I've saved enough to drive myself, my wife, and our four young kids up the Alcan. I figure we can camp out in the bush and live off the land until I find a job. I hoping to get on a gold-mining crew, a crab boat, do some trapping, or possibly drive up to Barrow (although I can't see myself whaling since whales are the smartest creatures alive).

Some basic questions:

- Should apply in advance for these jobs so employers would cover my moving expenses?
- Would I save money by homesteading, or would an old bus be sufficient shelter?
- I hear Alaska pays you to live there, is it enough to buy a house or should I lower my expectations?
- Is it true an AK driver's license permits you to fly in the bush?
- I've heard you don't need fancy winter clothing if you rub snot all over your body you can survive -40... is that accurate (sounds a little gross if you ask me)?
- Would my dog be able to join a sled team? Would it pay well if he did? Do beagles make good sledders?
- What is the best town near shopping centers, high-end restaurants, vibrant arts community, and yet is remote enough not to be near a big city?
- Should I wait until early March to come up, in order to avoid the winter?
- What's the difference between Kotzebue and Ketchikan? Which one is better? Why?
- How many times a week do you usually run into bears? Are they big grizzlies or something I could handle like black bears?

Thanks in advance; I know that's a lot of questions, but I just *have* to do this before the economy down here collapses and my student loans get sent to collections. Don't worry, I'm tough and won't do anything stupid like drive the haul road, THAT's dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 04:57 PM

4,057 posts, read 8,249,005 times
Sounds like you have a sense of humor!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Sounds like you have a sense of humor!
I figure a sense of humor might come in handy during a long subarctic winter in a bush cabin with a wife and 4 miserable kids.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:05 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
Well, you might have to save for a couple of years to buy your first house with funds from the PFD. My first house that I bought with it was a power troller; since then I have purchased five new homes in different parts of the state (the state of Hawaii).

Apply in advance for crab fishing jobs and you will most likely receive in offer in a matter of days. Usually what they do is purchase your airline tickets for you and then send you a pre paid card so that you can buy hooch on your flight (Alaska Airlines doesn't accept cash on their flights).

Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, you might have to save for a couple of years to buy your first house with funds from the PFD. My first house that I bought with it was a power troller; since then I have purchased five new homes in different parts of the state (the state of Hawaii).

Apply in advance for crab fishing jobs and you will most likely receive in offer in a matter of days. Usually what they do is purchase your airline tickets for you and then send you a pre paid card so that you can buy hooch on your flight (Alaska Airlines doesn't accept cash on their flights).
Sweet deal. That'll save me the 2-3 days driving up I was dreading. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 PM

5,161 posts, read 6,842,961 times
When you get a chance you have to drive to Juneau too!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM

11,835 posts, read 24,012,081 times
AA has those cool DVD players too!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
When you get a chance you have to drive to Juneau too!!!
If we drive up I'll just swing by on the way, thanks!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:16 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
Oh, and no need to concern yourself with bears. There was a really cool guy named Tim something or other who came up and tamed the all the bears for us.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 PM

11,835 posts, read 24,012,081 times
You can get coffee everywhere too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska