Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:13 PM

121 posts, read 342,085 times

Advertisements

RuneH, I'm tired of all these Norwegions coming to this country and taking our jobs! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:35 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
The OP, can can get all the information he wants at the US consulate in Norway, or just from one of the Norwegian consulates in the US. It's that simple.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
You never know...you might get over here and fall madly in love with one of the local ladies. You could end up married and living here sooner than you think!
or fellas.... Don't discriminate.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:58 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
I know many folks from Canada who have been turned down for a US green card due to their lack of high skills. As crazy as it sound, you can always do the fake marriage thing. Many Americans here would love a nice trip to Norway, me included .

Old 07-16-2011, 06:16 AM

I hate to say it, but it also has to do with the all mighty dollar. Depending on which country you are from, if you can invest a certain amount of money into the US economy and create jobs you can get a green card. I just had this conversation not to long ago with some foreign business owners here- this is the path they are taking to getting their entire family into the US as citizens. They also have to employ a certain number of US Citizens in their business and prove that the business is profitable/sustainable, among other things.

BTW, I also have a co-worker that got his a long time ago via the skills route...

Old 07-16-2011, 01:37 PM

^^ Easier way around, you can just get a 4-year college degree. I know several high-school teachers who came from Canada.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:44 PM

Kaul - That would be the "skill" way...

Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenaiSons View Post
or you can just stay where you are.

honestly? we don't need anyone else moving here from other countries. there are not enough jobs as it is for people to be giving them to foreigners.
ummmm....wow....were you born and raised in Alaska??? or did you come here for a specific reason??? not trying to be nasty but I find your remark rude to the OP....everyone has life dreams and move about the world for that reason...everyone has that right to live their dream...just as you are and many others. there are few jobs anywhere now a days....let the best qualified or suited for the job have it.....

Old 07-17-2011, 12:49 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuneH View Post
Hi, everyone! I hope you can please help me a bit...

I am an Norwegain citizen, and have always been fascinated by Alaska. I know its hard to get into the US, but can anyone of you tell me if this is possible? I do not have a special job, education etc... Just a regular man who wants to leave this country. Not for any particular reasons than the one mentioned above.

I hope you can find some time to answer this
Look into doing some seasonal work. Lots of the lodges and resorts hire workers from overseas; in many areas the local populations just don't have the available labor pool needed to staff these businesses. It isn't exactly the same thing as moving to Alaska for good (which I wouldn't recommend anyway without spending some time here first) but it's a good way to see it. You'd have to get a work Visa (if you're a student it would be easier than otherwise).

Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenaiSons View Post
then find the Subway here in Kenai hired 2 CHINESE students for the summer to work there instead of hiring teenagers, old people, anyone that wanted the job and qualified. they HIRED fricking foreigners for a summer.

they lost our business for that. so norweigans, swedes, mexicans, french, british, etc can stay where they are at until we get OUR country in order (if that ever comes to pass)
How do you know they're foreigners? And who the hell would compete for a job at subway anyway. Either you are very ignorant of the ethnic diversity in this country, or you're just another bitter teenager who can't find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska