Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times

Advertisements

Yes Indeed; it is that time of year again.. .. (already). Time to break trail; to transport equipment and supplies out to the ocean ice.

Breaking trail requires one month of long hard work - chopping ice by hand to make a smooth road at least 10 feet wide. This goes on for many miles until open water is reached. That is the goal.

It has been said; that whaling in Barrow is a "community event'. Nothing could ever be further from the actual truth. Let me explain.

Barrow Alaska has 37 Whaling Captains. Each captain has a crew of 8 members. Simple math provides the understanding needed to comprehend this. 37 x 8 = 296 People. Less than 10% of the actual native population of Barrow. A mere fraction of the people directly involved.

Point Hope Alaska has a population of over 700+ Inupiaq Natives. During whaling- THE ENTIRE VILLAGE moves out onto that ocean ice pack. The only people in the village: The sick & disabled elders; a small hand full of workers, (for the store - post office & fuel depot & essential city personal ). Every man- woman - child is out on the ocean ice pack for the next two months (there-abouts). This is the true meaning of a "community event" THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY IS INVOLVED - DIRECTLY !!

Point Hope is the oldest of ALL VILLAGES in Alaska. They are the only whaling village that still adheres to ancient traditional customs!!

Lets see what happens .. ... in each village this year !!!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 AM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
Go whales!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Hopefully the Whales eat the fishermen :P

Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 AM

182 posts, read 298,773 times
I have no qualms with Natives harvesting a few whales for subsistance. At least it requires actual work. Unlike clubbing baby seals!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:27 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
I hope they have a successful whaling season. To the haters, would you wish ill will on a farmer that is getting ready to harvest the eggplant or cantalope that you are about to eat? There is no difference here.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 AM

67 posts, read 99,335 times
Stiffnecked, You seem to always be on the money. Your logical thought processes are sometimes really lacking on this site!

To the nature fakers, live out in the arctic and try to b*tch about killing, it will be a short b*tch session. Reality is that if you live in a modern lifestyle the killing done to provide it is far worse than killing a few whales, you're just having someone else do it for you.

I actually had a guy rip me for coyote hunting while eating a hamburger and he didn't miss a bite after telling him more coyotes have died in the name of cattle than I could kill in a thousand life times. Nutty!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:04 AM

182 posts, read 298,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totek View Post
Stiffnecked, You seem to always be on the money. Your logical thought processes are sometimes really lacking on this site!

To the nature fakers, live out in the arctic and try to b*tch about killing, it will be a short b*tch session. Reality is that if you live in a modern lifestyle the killing done to provide it is far worse than killing a few whales, you're just having someone else do it for you.

I actually had a guy rip me for coyote hunting while eating a hamburger and he didn't miss a bite after telling him more coyotes have died in the name of cattle than I could kill in a thousand life times. Nutty!
No kidding! Or the lady who ragged on me last month telling all about her being a vegetarian while she was wearing a coat with a rabbit fur collar! Friggin hypocrites!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 AM

56 posts, read 83,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I hope they have a successful whaling season. To the haters, would you wish ill will on a farmer that is getting ready to harvest the eggplant or cantalope that you are about to eat? There is no difference here.
Exactly. I, too, hope the natives have a successful whaling season.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
nobody clubs seals around here. they use a rifle, duh!

Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
When fishing for whale, what do you use for bait, nightcrawlers or minnows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska