Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:26 PM

178 posts, read 250,731 times

Advertisements

OK, who was the little weasel that told me that the worst of the snow is over by January?

Liar, Liar, pants on fire! Sheesh, last weekend I got to dig out from about 13" of the white stuff and today I got to dig the car out twice. Once to take the kidlet to the bus stop and once to pick him up. Looks like a storm total of about 24".

The beagle gets buried in the snow when he goes out to pee. Walk out the door, and poof! Missing doggie. I had to shovel him a path to his favorite tree.

You know I'm getting plenty of exercise without Mother nature feeling the need to add some cardio and strength training to my daily regime.

Now that I've had my little temper tantrum, I'm going to sit here with a cup of cocoa and day dream about snow blowers and heated garages. It's amazing how far I have come, I used to dream about Shoes and sparkly things.

Nikki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 11:30 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
Heh heh we just wanted you to come up and suffer with us!

Actually, this entire winter has been highly unusual from the ice storm in November to the amount of snow now and the winds. It's starting to look a lot like the cliche of Alaska.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:38 PM

Geez, thanks! You guys can stop showing off for the new kid. I believe you about the weather, and I promise never to watch another episode of Northern Exposure or Men in Trees ever again if we can keep the daily snow totals below double digits. At least until I get that snow blower or heated garage.

Nikki

Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
It was a fluke storm. It hit us first, but not with snow, well not that much of it. We lucked out on this storm and it didn't rain much. We had some rain mixed with snow yesterday. Today the streets were a sheet of ice this morning and they're still covered.

Welcome to Alaska!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:59 PM

339 posts, read 728,776 times
I finally got around to shoveling my back porch last night. This morning I open my door and there's a brand new huge drift blocking my exit--and half of it falls inside! I had to shovel out the qannitchak just to be able to close the door again!

I am LOVING this winter, after last year, which was pretty much snow-less where I was at. Worst of the storm is over now..

Old 02-26-2011, 12:07 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
We did get some 60mph gusts here, crazy drifts in some parts of Bethel.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:22 AM

The wind is still gusting pretty hard here. So much so that I'm not sure if it's still snowing or just blowing. Either way, there is more digging in my future.

Nikki

Old 02-26-2011, 12:28 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
It could be worse, you could be in the lower 48 with the same accumulation. Sounds a lot like Lake Effect snow totals. They've had 200inches where I'm from this winter and glad I'm in Florida for it.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiV View Post
The wind is still gusting pretty hard here. So much so that I'm not sure if it's still snowing or just blowing. Either way, there is more digging in my future.

Nikki
But where you are at (Windy Pass), that is normal for it to be blowing a lot... or most of the time.

This is the most snow we have had in a number of years, will do good for the watersheds this year.

The Mosquito's will be happy this spring too!

For what it is worth, the wind is howling up by Nenana as well tonight!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:40 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,047 times
The wind was blowing like crazy in Homer too though no snow, rain! I was trying to make it across the driveway to our truck, leaning into the wind and the driveway was so slippery it was blowing me backwards!

Nikki I have sparklies for my shoes too, Alaskan snow grippers-now if I ever remembered to put them on before impersonating a human kite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska