Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:46 PM

18 posts, read 36,005 times

Advertisements

My goal for the past several years has been to relocate to Alaska. My goal is to be in rural Alaska. I will have my Masters in Social Work in May so I have begun to apply for positions in Alaska.

I have found it difficult to find much information about social work in AK. Obviously I know what I will be working with as I have researched that, but very little about what people do in particular.

I have thought of the transition to teaching program in Alaska as well, however the next cohort I could get into would not be for over a year and I do not want to wait that long.

Also, I will be relocating with children who are 8, 10 and 15. Any advice on relocating with them? Any suggested areas to either stay away from or to look closer at?

Thank you in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 06:57 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
Rural as in living in a small town on the road system or the kind of place that you can only fly or ferry into?

Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 PM

I am fine either way. My original thought was to teach in the bush. I haven't seen any form of social work in teh bush. I would be more then open to whatever . . . I do not wish to be in a large town at all though. I am not a city girl by any stretch of the imagination

Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icamp2 View Post
I am fine either way. My original thought was to teach in the bush. I haven't seen any form of social work in teh bush. I would be more then open to whatever . . . I do not wish to be in a large town at all though. I am not a city girl by any stretch of the imagination
There is a modest demand for social workers in the bush hub locations, such as Barrow, Bethel, Dillingham, Nome, Kotzebue and others. There won't be anything for actually living in a village. Note that "rural" applys to the hub locations too, as they are all very small towns (3000 to 6000 people) and are all without road connections to anywhere. Check with the various regional health care organizations such as YKHC in Bethel and ASNA here in Barrow. On the North Slope the Borough operates the village clinics, so the NSB also hires social workers (all based in Barrow).

Teaching has the benefit that you can move virtually to anywhere you like.

Your children are not necessarily a handicap. The older one at 15 might have a hard time adapting if previous experience is grossly different (city living, for example), but if your children are also very rural oriented it won't be as bad as moving to a city would be. The younger ones (any child from 12 down) will adapt easily and permanently too. That means if you bring a child at 9 years old to a village and stay for 5 years they will always be a bush brat. Same if you take them to a city, they'll never be comfortable elsewhere. A 12 or 13 year old gets the best of both worlds and usually remains at ease in both environments, while a 14 or 15 year old is already molded.

Assuming the kids adapt easily, they will provide a faster and greater connection for you to whatever community you move to!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:22 PM

Thanks for that information! I have begun applying a little bit here and there. I can't relocate until June though so I think its a bit early for an area that wants to employ a social worker immediately.

I will definately look into the agencies you mentioned. I appreciate that.

Teaching would be my first choice, but I do not have a teaching certificate. It's a bit frustrating as my experience has primarily been with children.

All of the kids are used to living fairly rural. I do understand rural Oregon is nothing like Rural Alaska though They spend the bulk of the summer out fishing, camping, hiking etc. They have been reading about living in Alaska for a long time so I think they have a good idea what to expect. My 15 year old actually is the one really pushing to go!

Im getting more excited!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Come to Bethel!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
The local hospital has an opening for a Social Worker.

Careers with YKHC

Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
The local hospital has an opening for a Social Worker.

Careers with YKHC
JoeJoe....Bethel should pay your for being a job recruiter!!! glad you love your hometown so much! it is refreshing!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 PM

I see that and I am completely qualified! Will fill out the application tonight . . . whether they want to wait until May 25th or not is the question. I am just graduating with my MSW but i have extensive experience within social work . . . .so I think I am a good candidate!

Thank you for the tip!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:42 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,924 times
Come to Wrangell! Contact Montey Buness principal of the schools or the Alaska Island Community Health Center (AICS).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska