Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,679,453 times

Advertisements

whoaaa...how sad...is it becoming too expensive for young people to get into this or what??? would hate to see this become a "thing of the past" as our modern times move forward. Can any locals share insight into this?? thanks
Lack of interest forces cancellation of Junior Yukon Quest
Read more: Lack of interest forces cancellation of Junior Yukon Quest: Sled dog racing | Alaska news at adn.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 PM

854 posts, read 1,970,032 times
it makes sense, though- how many young people are serious mushers?
video games and MTV are hard to compete with.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 PM

24,350 posts, read 26,800,234 times
good news for dogs

Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,857,488 times
Dogs like to run! There has been a lot of research into dog mushing. I don't believe for one minute that men like Lance Mackey would force an animal to do something it didn't love.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 PM

178 posts, read 249,374 times
Living here in Denali and getting to see the actual dog teams run was a huge education. I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself, but gobrien is right. Those dogs LOVE to run.

It isn't a chore for them, you watch their excitement when they see the sleds and harnesses come out. I've been there at the end of the trail and watched those dogs happily lay in the snow with grins on their snouts.

Dogs are no different then humans, in that they find satisfaction in a job well done. These dogs are bred and trained to run, and they do it well.

Nikki

Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,517,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
whoaaa...how sad...is it becoming too expensive for young people to get into this or what??? would hate to see this become a "thing of the past" as our modern times move forward. Can any locals share insight into this?? thanks
That doesn't seem like a sport which would have a widespread participation by kids, anyway. Interest yes, but participation, perhaps not so much.

The sports seems a little "above" most youngsters in that:

(a) It probably costs more money than most of them have.... even if they might be interested in it, and

(b) The responsibilities entailed in keeping a team of dogs (and again, cost) seems extremely immense such that it's even beyond what many adults want to get involved with, even if they fancy the sport. A lot of parents can't even get their kid to take the (as in, one) dog for a five minute walk, or to let it outside to go to the bathroom.... even when the dog is ostensibly supposed to be the kids because they begged their parents for it, and swore they would take care of it. Taking care of an entire team of dogs, and training them, seems about fifty steps removed and beyond the aforementioned simple task.

Seems like a sport kids are only going to get into if their parents already are into the sport, and do almost all of the work for the kid anyway.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,891,210 times
It's been cancelled lots of times. There are lots of kids who mush but not many willing or able to do distance races. Most of them just mush for fun and that is fine. The young people we do have with teams actually do most of their own work. I mean, mom and dad might feed the dogs for a night when kiddo goes on a feild trip to Anchorage, but the ones I know all take care of their own dogs. Some of their parents are in the sport and some are not.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 AM

26,561 posts, read 36,469,455 times
Good. Maybe kids are finally catching on to the fact that is a cruel so called "sport".

Don't bother answering/flaming. I won't be opening this thread again.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,395,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Dogs like to run! There has been a lot of research into dog mushing. I don't believe for one minute that men like Lance Mackey would force an animal to do something it didn't love.
How does this with kids differ from adults racing other than distance?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:39 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,857,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
How does this with kids differ from adults racing other than distance?
1stimestar knows more about mushing than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska