Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 03:27 AM

4 posts, read 4,583 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I've been reading as much as I can on the different areas of Alaska and like everyone else am looking for a little bit more information. Hopefully my questions are new to you and not simply repeats.

I have not dedicated myself to a move and have only been pondering the idea. I know I need to visit and am saving money currently to prepare for both a visit and potential relocation / rent / food / gas cost etc.

I am about to finish my Associates degree in general studies and am preparing to go after a Bachelors degree in Dietetics. This leads to my question...

Is this a reasonable career in Alaska (Either Dietitian or Nutritionist)? In particular the Kenai area? I've always thought of Alaska as a place with people more fit than the rest of the United States so I would like to know before I start working toward a degree.

Would you say there are more workable degrees? If so, in what fields? I'm not much of an industrial type person as far as I know. I work medical billing currently and left the military last year. I would be willing to change my degree plan if there was something in a field such as biology/geology/psychiatry that could be used and I love the idea of working outdoors, but I'm open to other suggestions as well!

Thanks for any responses! I look forward to your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
There seems to be a need for more diabetes educators, which would include subjects like you mentioned.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 AM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
If you get your degree outside Alaska, you'll almost certainly need to start work in Anchorage, possibly Fairbanks. Once you're up here, keep your eyes and ears open for opportunities in locations where you'd rather live. Alternatively, transfer to a university up here and be on the lookout for internships and temp jobs to get your foot in the door, while you're still in school.

More generally, the average Alaskan is certainly more "active" than the population in the lower 48, but probably less likely to seek out a dietician or nutritionist. On the other hand, I always hear that people in the medical field in general do well up here.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM

455 posts, read 743,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbevi000 View Post
I've always thought of Alaska as a place with people more fit than the rest of the United States
Actually Alaska has the same obesity problem as the -48, see Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Data and Statistics . In 2009 (the latest accurate data) AK "weighed in" at #24th most obese state, almost at the mean statistically.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the replies so far everyone! They are really appreciated. The thing that bothers me the most right now is if I want to become a Dietitian it will take me at least a year from now before I can move to AK. Maybe even 2 to 3 years.

I really want to just GO now and get out of Missouri. I spent the last 4 years in Germany with the military and wasn't planning on coming back to Missouri but those plans changed due to circumstances. It has always been my home, but there is truely nothing here in MO. At least not for me.

Can anyone suggest what degrees might be useful other than one in Dietetics? I am fond of Psychology but also am interested in Police work or work outdoors such as Park Ranger. I'm very open-minded though so if you think there is another good degree option let me know.

Thanks again for all the useful replies (not just here but in all of the threads!)

Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Have you considered doing your degree program at one of the University of Alaska schools? That'd get you out of Missouri a lot sooner, and also have the advantage of providing networking that would make it easier to find a job up here.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 PM

43 posts, read 138,621 times
Don't deviate from the B.S. in Dietetics! I am a practicing Registered/Licensed Dietitian,and despite the lengthy and arduous education it took, I absolutely love the profession. Plus, the career forecast for RDs is quite promising, as our aging population grows. Regulatory standards for healthcare designate that every medical center (not to mention WIC programs, clinics, school districts), MUST have a registered and licensed dietitian on staff ( hokey, unlicensed "nutritionists" do not suffice! RDs are the only regulated and educated nutrition experts recognized by regulatory agencies, such as Joint Commission and CMS), so the need isn't going to decline anytime soon! I consistently check the Alaska Dietetic Association website for intriguing prospective job opportunities, as there are always a few. One was even in a very remote area of northern Alaska! Very cool.
Good luck.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:10 AM

DietitianVickey, thanks for the reply! It helped motivate me this morning

I believe I can have my BS finished by early next year. If there is an internship program in AK that could certainly be an option. I was worried because I thought the internship would need to be done here and that I would need a Masters degree before even thinking of trying to get much of a career started in this field.

If it is possible to find work with just my Bachelors then I will definitely continue down this path as nutritional health is something very dear to me! Perhaps a graduate degree could be earned through an online program once I moved up there. You were right in that there was at least one opening when I checked out the AK Dietetic Association website for employment opportunities (although I'm sure there are more within the state that aren't advertised there).

In a little less than two months I can switch positions within the hospital I work for. I'm going to start networking and meet the RD's here next week at a weight wise / diebetic information clinic. After that i'll wait until a position opens up under one of our RD's and apply to it so I can start getting some actual hands on experience. Hopefully this will all help when it comes time to apply to the internship program. The one at UAA looks like it only has 5 slots at a time. But without there being an actual undergraduate program in AK maybe it won't be as difficult to get into.

Anyway, thanks again for your input. It is really nice to have motivation to continue with this plan!

Old 03-03-2011, 03:56 AM

My mistake, I guess there is an undergrad program of study in Dietetics at UAA :S Well I sure didn't know that haha! Now I can't help but wonder what one has to do to get an internship with only 5 available slots.

If it is possible I'm going to be taking somewhere between 8 and 11 classes per semester so I can get my BS early next year. I'm pretty sure I can come up with some good references so hopefully the combination of classes / work experience and refs. will be enough to set me apart when the time comes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska