U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 AM

202 posts, read 419,570 times

Advertisements

I posted this link in another thread, but I thought it might be good as a thread in its own right.

If Treadwell had actually survived the bear attack do you think he would have changed his ways? Would he have stopped pretending to be a "bear whisperer" or was he just too stoned/stupid to ever deal with the reality of bears?

Here is the thread with the comments by alaskans and a bunch of treadwell loving moonbats. The alaskans try to point out the reality of bears while the moonbats defend Treadwell's stupidity:

Timothy Treadwell Killed By Bears in Alaska | Jim Lynch: Technology and Other Musings

I think he would still be out there, walking around (assuming he still had limbs to walk on) and calling the bears "snuggle muffin" and "baby love bunny kisses" and all that crap.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 AM

447 posts, read 579,543 times
If he'd survived the bear attack I'm pretty sure that little fox was waiting for the right moment to do him in.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:53 AM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times
I think he would not have changed anything he did and he would be horribly disfigured and his girlfriend would have been as well . He loved the bears but you can love the bears from afar.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM

67 posts, read 79,412 times
Timmy did survive, he faked his death and moved to South Dakota with Jim Morrison to shoot heroin and look for the "Great White Buffalo". He sure fooled you guys/girls!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 AM

11,836 posts, read 24,967,334 times
I heard he was making ivory jewelry in Pt. Hope.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:40 AM

48,897 posts, read 39,381,014 times
I think the interesting point is that anyone that studies animals quickly comes to learn that they have very distinct personalities and some are (just like people) crazy a$$holes.

For example, Jane Goodalls decade long chimps study even specifically identified that some of the chimps were KNOWN to actively try to murder other chimps offspring.

With that said, the guy should have prepared for dealing with the occasional "charles manson" bear and since he didn't the following slogan applies.

Mistakes Demotivator® - The Original Demotivational Posters

Heh, I know of a reptile keeper that has a black mamba that is puppy dog calm. Just goes to show that even with a species that is notoriously high-strung there are individual personalities.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 AM

4,986 posts, read 8,284,150 times
He did survive and has his own TV show now:

Billy the Exterminator - A&E TV - Video, Schedule & Extras

Welcome to Vexcon

Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM

5,706 posts, read 7,891,229 times
The legend lives on from the Katmai on down
Of the big stream they call Kimmie Timmie
Grizzlies they say never give up their dead
When the hunger pains of November come early.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 AM

4,058 posts, read 8,576,433 times
He probably would have felt guilty and apologized to the bears for upsetting them so much.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,168,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
If Treadwell had actually survived the bear attack do you think he would have changed his ways? Would he have stopped pretending to be a "bear whisperer" or was he just too stoned/stupid to ever deal with the reality of bears?
I suspect he'd still be interacting with the bears once in a while. Don't really see what would lead him to some epiphany such that he would do otherwise. His mind seemed pretty well made up at that point. Perhaps he would have gotten bored of it in due time and reduced his activities, figuring he'd done all that needed to be done.... but it seems likely that it is something which wuld always be in the back of his mind, and from time to time, he'd want to once again go out there and spend some time with them.

I wouldn't stop him, and could never support any action or persons that would... but if he is eaten by a bear (which he was), oh well... sucks to be him

If you mess with anything which is potentially dangerous or risky in life, be it as a hobby, sport, or other passion, one day the probabilities may catch up with you. Such is life. Take whatever a posteriori and a priori knowledge you have of the risks, and factor that into your utility equation which governs what preferences and pursuits in life you think are worth it to you, and either go about doing it, or decide not to do it.

On any given day, I spend little time overly-worried about whether there are a few other "bear/moose whisperers" out there. I'm not going to spend my life fixating on what they do, or second guessing them. They are but mere curiosities to casually observe, ponder if I'd like to do that, and then decide either way whether the reward is greater than the risk in my utility equation. And if one day soon, another one of them gets eaten or mauled, I will once again have but a passing curiosity at best, at what happened. It's not going to substantially cause me to reevaluate whether I would let these people engage in their hobby.

[EDIT: As an aside, I find myself more disturbed by the misplaced ethics of those who "feel sorry for the bear(s) that were shot." There is nothing to feel sorry about, nor should you. I believe the commonly heard retort that the animals were "just doing what was natural to them" is an incoherent and inappropriate response to the situation. It may be a descriptive fact that that is indeed their tendency, but that say's virtually nothing about the ethics of the response, since merely acting on ones impulses (be it human or animal doing so) does not constitute a blank cheque to act in an predatory and aggressive manner. That which poses a clear and present danger can be dispatched without any ethical guilt being incurred for having done that which is necessary.]

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 03-04-2011 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska