Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 PM

189 posts, read 325,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
I sense people don't like the shows (primarily - though I am sure there are various reasons) because they don't really want an influx of new residents who get fired up from watching such shows, or reading books of like-kind.
I personally don't like having my relatives calling me because they watch these shows.. and where have we moved their grandbabies/cousins/nieces/nephews.. too! It really cracks us up, since we moved up here every relative that knows us now proudly reports which Alaska reality show they are watching.. My mother watches one about Alaskan State Police, which happened to have a segment based out of Bethel.. which sent her running to the phone.. my step-dad now watches Flying Alaska..and do I personally know the owners of ERA?? Because everyone knows everyone personally in Alaska LOL! Just seems to me they all get a lot of misinformation from these shows.. but then since I don't even have a television, I couldn't say for certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,820,902 times
^ As always it seems, I can't rep you for your post, but I appreciate the insight as to why Alaskans are sick of there being shows about Alaska on television. I would be so proud if they had shows on TV about the Blue Ridge Mountains and all the wonderful traditions, heritage, and beauty this region has to offer. Yet, no show. Alaska is much bigger and more interesting though, to be fair.

I do think there are probably some who don't want a whole lot of people from the lower 48 watching the shows and deciding to move to Alaska. Personally, as a person who plans to live in Alaska in the pretty near future, I don't want a whole bunch of random people showing up either. But I think the shows do a decent enough job portraying the harshness of the climate to keep most people from wanting to move there. Seems like most people I talk to down here (and in other areas of the lower 48) strongly dislike cold, even if they're from cold places.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:02 PM

86 posts, read 173,471 times
Hey up-side to this show... It should not have the man hungry women from the lower 48 running up there.... :-p

Old 04-06-2011, 04:11 PM

437 posts, read 810,080 times
^ So what's wrong with that? Lot's of guys up there.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:34 PM

Smile, It was meant to be funny... a play off the women who want the manly men, the real men, the hairy kick your butt and bring home the bacon guys who are on avg what the shows about Alaska like to push.

Here this should help explain:http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...oking-men.html
(Sorry didn't mean to get off-topic)

Old 04-06-2011, 05:16 PM

437 posts, read 810,080 times
Ohy yeah, I've read that thread. I know all about the men up there, lol. Lived in AK for 7 years. Live in WI now and I swear there isn't a decent manly man to be found around here. I really must get moved back to Alaska, this being single is getting old...

Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,925,943 times
Roadside Inn's polar bear is getting refurbished!

Everyone must stop here at Mile 49.5 on the Parks, great food!

Old 04-08-2011, 01:28 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,800,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
No, but I'll tell you this, I'm SICK of the Alaska so-called reality shows.
I don't watch any of the "reality" shows, to me they are just boring. I suspect somebody was hard up for show ideas and lucked out when they sold the idea to the producers.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:36 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,742,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post
Ohy yeah, I've read that thread. I know all about the men up there, lol. Lived in AK for 7 years. Live in WI now and I swear there isn't a decent manly man to be found around here. I really must get moved back to Alaska, this being single is getting old...

ROFLMAO!! The terms of Service says NO Advertising ! (chuckle) sorry I just couldn't halp myself; that just struck me as so funny.

Well I tried to check out your profile and alas only your friends can view it. The mystery begins !!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
ROFLMAO!! The terms of Service says NO Advertising ! (chuckle) sorry I just couldn't halp myself; that just struck me as so funny.

Well I tried to check out your profile and alas only your friends can view it. The mystery begins !!
lol... I do believe this is a not so subtle hint!!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: