Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 AM

911 posts, read 2,155,406 times

Advertisements

leaving from Michigan, driving, what would be the best way to take? we have kids, so we'd need some places to get food (and gas) along the way... we'd like to enter Canada from MI if it wouldn't add too much travel time on.....

and where would you go with a gang of kids aged 12-0?

we'd like to see it out of curiosity and of course the wilderness and scenery. my dad says it's amazing. trying to decide our road trip for the summer.... AK might be on the list :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:14 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,823 times
Get the Milepost guide. You can order one online. Amazon has it in stock. It has everything that you need to plan a trip. It isn't cheap but is worth it's weight in gold for the information that it provides, both logistical and of interest as you go. At the very least I'd suggest a stop at Laird Hot Springs. In the summer Whitehorse is worth a day or two's stop. Have fun planning your trip.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Passports for everyone, no DUI's in the past. Come on up!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,628 times
I'd say stick to the US until you get to Montana (cheaper gas). From there, head up through the Canadian Rockies. The Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper requires a park entrance fee, but don't miss it! One of the most beautiful drives in the world. In northern British Columbia, you can take the Alaska Highway in one direction, and take the Cassiar Highway in the other direction. On the Alcan, don't miss Liard Hot Springs. On the Cassiar, don't miss the side trip to Stewart and Hyder, and up the gravel road to Salmon Glacier.

Once you're in the north, the loop through Skagway and Haines with a short car ferry trip is highly recommended. Once you hit "mainland" Alaska, visitor facilities are focused in the Anchorage, Mat-Su, Kenai Peninsula, as well as Denali National Park. There's lots of great stuff elsewhere, off the beaten path, McCarthy in Wrangell St. Elias National Park for example.

In any case, a road trip to Alaska will entail many, MANY hours of driving, and I have to admit I wouldn't look forward to doing it with a herd of kids, age 0-12. Most adults find the sheer emptiness inspiring, but most kids have a limited attention span for that sort of thing. Aside from the main tourist areas, attractions are far apart up here, and you'll have a hard time keeping the kids entertained. You might think about flying to Anchorage and renting a car. Or, if you want to think outside the box, drive into Canada, fly to Whitehorse and rent a car (domestic flights are usually more convenient).

Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
I agree.

I also second the idea of leaving the US at the last possible chance (ie: WA or MT) as the gas prices in Canada will eat a HUGE chunck out of your budget.

Can you get an RV to make the trip easier on the kids?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
I don't know where in MI your coming from (I'm from Northern Michingam), but if you drive up through the Soo into Canada once you get past Lake Superior on Hwy 17 in Canada, there really isn't much to see. The trip around Superior is wonderful, but past that and until you reach the Canadian Rockies, it's like driving "the Seney stretch", if ya know where that is in the UP, only much longer.

If I were you, I'd take US2 through the UP across the States to Montana, then up.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,047 times
We made the trip last spring from Minnesota to Montana then up on through to Alaska. It was amazing and more stunningly beautiful then anything you could even imagine.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
Aaarrrrggghhh. This thread is making me so jealous. Enjoy your trip! It will be one you won't soon forget, I'm sure!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 AM

911 posts, read 2,155,406 times
thanks for all the great info! we will be taking an RV, and the reason we'd like to enter Canada from MI is so we don't have to get everyone passports because our drivers licenses let us enter Canada through MI. we'll have roughly 6 weeks to travel so hopefully we can find things to do along the way.... hmmm....... right now it's a toss up. we've always wanted to see AK, and a friend of ours owns a motel up there so we'd have free lodging. on the other hand, we're always ready to book it back to Colorado ;-) i'm rooting for Alaska! mostly because it's been so long since we've traveled somewhere that we've never been before.

Thanks again, i'm looking up your suggestions right now!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
thanks for all the great info! we will be taking an RV, and the reason we'd like to enter Canada from MI is so we don't have to get everyone passports because our drivers licenses let us enter Canada through MI. we'll have roughly 6 weeks to travel so hopefully we can find things to do along the way.... hmmm....... right now it's a toss up. we've always wanted to see AK, and a friend of ours owns a motel up there so we'd have free lodging. on the other hand, we're always ready to book it back to Colorado ;-) i'm rooting for Alaska! mostly because it's been so long since we've traveled somewhere that we've never been before.

Thanks again, i'm looking up your suggestions right now!
Are passports required to cross back into the US at the Alaska crossing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska