U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:02 AM

25 posts, read 49,580 times
Default Thinking about a move to POW

My wife and I will be visiting POW Island next June to do some exploring and hopefully find a community to move to permanently. If things go as planned we will be able to sell here in the lower 48 and have enough cash to purchase a home on the water to enjoy about nine months out of the year. We will be looking for a location with access to dockage so we can have a boat within a short drive. We both enjoy fishing, crabbing and hunting. We don't have any young children, so schools are not a factor. We are good at buying ahead and stockpiling food, as well as eating what we catch or shoot, so we don't have to be near a grocery store.
I've been researching POW and find Hollis, Thorne Bay and Coffman's Cove as attractive spots, from the limited information I have been able to find. I'd really appreciate opinions and advice from people who are now living there, or have been there. How do those communities rate in your mind, and would you recommend others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 12:20 PM

47 posts, read 162,192 times
Default Only visited

I can only attest to the beauty of all the places, since I only visited. My parents live in Craig and I would have to say that the majority of the population on the island is in Craig/Klowack. It really depends on what your looking for when moving there. If you want a town atmosphere Thorn Bay is by far the larger of the towns that you are looking into, and if you are looking into a community there might be more for you there. I thought that it was delightful! If you are looking into more privacy Coffman Cove and Hollis may be your best choices. Coffman Cove is a longer way up north, but I did notice a dock with avialable slips (not sure if it is public). It seems to be more spread out too. Hollis is tiny and you really don't get a community feeling there, but it is beautiful. You won't lack for hunting grounds anywhere on the island (spotted 43 sikta black tails in one day), or fishing for that matters. Crabbing is another story that I can't attest to.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:18 PM

Thanks Trouthunter; I appreciate your thoughts. It sounds like Coffman Cove and Hollis are at the top of the list. Hopefully there are some POW residents out there who will read this and give me their thoughts as well.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:27 PM

15,560 posts, read 14,664,077 times
I think that Hollis is the better community. There seems to be a lot of rough types on the north end of the island though I think that's changing a bit.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:40 AM

Thanks, Metlakatla. This is the type of info I'm looking for. You don't get the inside scoop from the glowing websites constructed by people trying to draw in tourists.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:54 AM

You might look at the thread call Prince of Wales Island. There was some interesting conversation there, and I beleive that some of the people actually live or have lived somewhere on the island.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 PM

Metlakatla has it right now that I think back on it. Many more lumberjacks
surrounding Coffman Cove (not that lumberjacks aren't great people, but they certainly are rough). I also remember Naukati being looking rough too. A major attraction for some people on the island is mudbogging. I hate to stereotype but there can be some rough characters/actions that accompany this past time (from my experience). That being said this is an isolated group and past time and it certainly doesn't take away from all the other terrific things that POW offers.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:17 PM

That's interesting, Trouthunter--my son was born in Palmer and his father lives in Craig.

Truesdale, I think that a married couple who is pretty self sufficient and is planning on getting out for three or so months a year can have an okay life there, and your interests sound compatible with what the area has to offer. There are more people like yourselves moving there these days it seems. Personally, I cannot live there, and neither does it seem that my son can.

His words upon leaving for the last time:

Quote:
I've spent a lot of my life in this forest. It is near and dear my heart. I love the forest, but hate the people who live in it.

Here is a quote from someone from my island:

"This is a damn rain forest. It was put here to log."

One thing that I would disagree with Trouthunter on is that lumberjacks are great people. No, that isn't fair. I'm sure some of them are and they can't all be typecast by what they have done to the Tongass. And it was the aboriginal people of the Tongass who sold it out to the most disgraceful extent.

Tongass National Forest - National Geographic Magazine

Old 07-26-2007, 02:01 PM

You both have interesting perspectives that I appreciate hearing. We are definitely going to take a look next summer. We really enjoy Mitkof Island, but would like to be able to find something a little more remote. We will look at Wrangell on the way down to POW as well to get a feel for that area. We can handle the gray skies and the rain as that is what our winters are now, except it is a lot of snow instead of rain. We won’t have to shovel the rain.
I am anxious to meet people in all the areas we’ve talked about and get to learn more. I won’t blame the loggers for the logging,. They are just making a living based on what is permitted. I don’t know what the right thing is. Here in the Adirondack Park our state constitution outlaws any logging on state forever wild lands. There are a lot of good trees that standing up and there is no habitat succession that benefits so many animals. On the other hand, it stays natural. I've got that National Geographic magazine right here on our coffee table.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:28 PM

I blame the loggers to an extent because I don't believe that any profession or trade is exempt from professional ethics and by agreeing to do what they have done to POW, they have shown absolutely none. I know people who've worked in the timber industry all their lives and are as appalled by what has gone on there as I am and perhaps even more so because it reflects so terribly badly on their industry.

That aside, your reasons for wanting to go there seem pretty sound so good luck to you.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-26-2007 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska