Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times

Advertisements

And then there's HAARP...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,787,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Yes and I also watch what I put on the mantel and shelves. Where I am from their danger is tornados....quess you can't win.
I'd rather have an earthquake over a tornado or hurricane, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
My theory is that plate shifts are working their way around the Ring of Fire. First New Zealand, then Japan and next would be California, then South America.
Glad you left the Cascadia Subduction Zone off that list! That thing has the potential to unleash a massive and long lasting quake greater than 9.0, and being off the coast can create very large tsunamis in its wake. (No pun intended). Although if current trends continue, I'm sure we'll see that thing snap within my lifetime. It's overdue.

BTW, South America already had theirs. Chile.

And I do agree about the mass shift of the plates. I'm sure this kind of thing has happened regularly throughout history (well beyond human history) as the plates continue to shift, with large quakes in such quick succession.

The entire US east of the Rockies has another danger lurking as well. When Yellowstone Super Volcano goes, they're all doomed! (And they've been recording more than usual movement in the Earth's crust there in the past few years as well! Many say the magma chamber is filling up once again!)

Old 11-17-2012, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 947 times
I've been watching the IRIS seismic monitor over the last 5 years and have noticed the gradual increase in frequency and magnitude of earthquakes. It appears that over the last few months major earthquakes above 7.0 are happening now close to every 7 days and the Ring Of Fire is nearly completely active. Take a look now? How many 5.6 earthquakes have happened in Oklahoma that you know of in the recent past? You folks can feel free to make your best guesstimate on what's going on but there is enough free flowing scientific data that clearly shows that we're very close to getting our royal asses kicked real good before the 2013 rolls in. I can't wait to see the looks on all the smug faces when the stars start rapidly rolling across the sky....LOL OK! Back to cookies and milk and another episode of Monk before bedtime...(love that guy!) Sleep well. Goodnight.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:46 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
the doomsday predictions were set for oct 12 2012. did not happen.
that does not however mean now is a good time to buy a little place on the beach.
i got my swim fins and goggles and snorkel handy just in case.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,961,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
We didn't have any major media at all 2,000 years ago .. ..yet we know in explicit detail the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans by Titus in AD 70 TOO MANY EYE WITNESS' THAT WROTE ABOUT IT.

Have you ever read Flavius Josephus ? Every war the Jews ever fought is recorded in this masterpiece of Jewish Antiquities along with every earthquake!!

Your assertion that the news media is responsible is not valid one bit.

Socrates, Plato, Josephus hold far more credibility than todays; make up false facts for the public to read; IS NOW classified as NEWS.

The fact that we did not have a monitoring system is relevant.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 AM

If Cascadia goes, Sandy will look like a water bath.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:01 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,459,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
If Cascadia goes, Sandy will look like a water bath.
From what I have been reading, it is more like 'When'. Although that 'When' could be thousands of years from now.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
From what I have been reading, it is more like 'When'. Although that 'When' could be thousands of years from now.
Yup. although this thread suggests we are "due". Imagine a 9.0 100 miles off the coast of Seattle.

Run Forest Run....

Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 PM

There have been quakes off of Vancouver Island lately. Quakes in the 6.0 range (or at least one of them was, anyway), either on or near the northern border of the Cascadia Subduction Zone. They're getting closer!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Yup. although this thread suggests we are "due". Imagine a 9.0 100 miles off the coast of Seattle.

Run Forest Run....
Seattle itself will mainly be damaged from the severe shaking, I think we are SOMEWHAT protected from tidal waves / surges that coastal areas would be devastated by. Seattle would be MUCH more at risk from tsunami if the Seattle fault (which runs right under Downtown Seattle and out into Elliott Bay and across Bainbridge Island and to the north of Bremerton) ruptures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska