Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:55 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,796 times

Advertisements

Floyd... agree with the dumb moves LOL... I take auto claims and process them for a living... not in Alaska but yes indeed... I could write a book on dumb moves... some of the stories people tell and expect me to swallow them... it does make one smile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 06:22 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Floyd... agree with the dumb moves LOL... I take auto claims and process them for a living... not in Alaska but yes indeed... I could write a book on dumb moves... some of the stories people tell and expect me to swallow them... it does make one smile
Ain't that true! I was clobbered by a truck at night once upon a time. After everyone left the scene, the other driver tried to fake a little evidence to move the point of impact by about 15 feet. He did this by using a tire iron to gouge two marks into the pavement... but he put them at 90 degree angles to each other! (Like, that truck hit me and moved my vehicle first sideways off the the road, then it picked it up and brought it back and pushed it straight down the road at 90 degrees to the first move... some trick that must would have been!)

Would you believe though, the investigating trooper came back the next day to look at things in the daylight, and bought it hook line and sinker! (Rest assured the insurance folks hired investigators that must have been laughing all day at that one. It happens that I took a lawyer's investigator to the scene a week or two later and saw what was there, and took lots of pictures of the actual point of impact, with marks all in one direction, and the faked one.)

Old 03-19-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
As for your comments above. Total fabrication.
The technical term for your post is "projection".

I'd explain the details to you in the vernacular, but then you'd have to report it to a moderator...

Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,822,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Use your heads folks, nobody (even an idiot dumb enough to steal cars) is as dumb as you are all suggesting would be "smart"!
I see nobody suggesting what would have been smart. Just people saying how stupid it was for these kids to do what they did. For the record, yes, it would have been stupid anywhere, we are just pointing out that in a small village with nowhere to go, their chances of being caught were massively larger than if this had been done in a larger town or city. (Roads leading out or not).

Old 03-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I see nobody suggesting what would have been smart. Just people saying how stupid it was for these kids to do what they did. For the record, yes, it would have been stupid anywhere, we are just pointing out that in a small village with nowhere to go, their chances of being caught were massively larger than if this had been done in a larger town or city. (Roads leading out or not).
But you are all saying it is stupid for a reason that itself is stupider than what you say is stupid! I put the word smart in quotes for a reason... It isn't that anyone said the opposite of what was done would actually be smart, just smarter than what was done. But that's just plain stupid. Okay?

People hardly ever steal cars in order to go somewhere else; so whether there is a place to go, in particular a road 'leading out or not' has nothing to do with it being stupid. Maybe prison escapees would, eh? But kids that live here and if they drove to somewhere else would have no way to get back??? That's silly thinking.

The reason they are more likely to get caught in a "small village" (Barrow is actually a very large village) is because there are so few road miles here that in a very short time they will be seen by someone if they continue with the "joyride". That means even if they ditch the vehicle, somebody will have seen who was driving it and report it. The problem is there's no way to escape the consequences of having committed the crime. It's like driving around with a big red flag that says "Arrest me for Felony Stupid (cause I'm as dumb as people on City-Data)". It gets noticed.

Edit: The redness of the flag gets noticed, not being as stupid as Stiffnecked.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,577 times
Wow, another thread about Barrow that devolved into Floyd calling everyone else stupid. And before the second page!

Some thoughts:

1. If there's a road out there's also a road in. The shorter the distance to other populated areas, the more likely the thief would be from another town, and therefore less likely to be identified.

2. If there's a road out there's more opportunity to get away from town and out on that road, where there is less police activity and possibly other small roads (even if they don't go very far) branching off of that road. This gives the thieves a chance to both drive the car a bit and ditch it somewhere with nobody around.

3. If there's a road out the thieves could have stashed their own vehicle somewhere along it so they could get back to wherever they came from.

4. If there are trees or hills or anything of that nature, it's probably easier to hide the stolen car after you've abandoned it.

5. And of course, if Barrow were more heavily populated, the thieves would be less likely to be noticed, for a variety of reasons.

Therefore, Barrow is probably the stupidest place of all the stupid places to steal a car, in part because it's quite isolated, but that is by no means the only reason.

Last edited by tigre79; 03-19-2011 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 01:08 PM

69 posts, read 140,664 times
Most criminals are pretty stupid. Ask a cop and they'll tell you stupidity gets the majority of them caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I guess some criminals are pretty stupid.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:50 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,822,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Some thoughts:

1. If there's a road out there's also a road in. The shorter the distance to other populated areas, the more likely the thief would be from another town, and therefore less likely to be identified.

2. If there's a road out there's more opportunity to get away from town and out on that road, where there is less police activity and possibly other small roads (even if they don't go very far) branching off of that road. This gives the thieves a chance to both drive the car a bit and ditch it somewhere with nobody around.

3. If there's a road out the thieves could have stashed their own vehicle somewhere along it so they could get back to wherever they came from.

4. If there are trees or hills or anything of that nature, it's probably easier to hide the stolen car after you've abandoned it.

5. And of course, if Barrow were more heavily populated, the thieves would be less likely to be noticed, for a variety of reasons.

Therefore, Barrow is probably the stupidest place of all the stupid places to steal a car, in part because it's quite isolated, but that is by no means the only reason.
Thank you! Just the kind of stuff I was thinking. Larger town = more roads to hide on, wider selection of places for abandoning the vehicle without being noticed when you're done with it, less chance that you will be easily identified by a majority of the people around you if seen, etc. etc. etc.

And yes, Floyd, as I said, I DO agree that car theft is stupid, bottom line, anywhere, but doing it in a place like Barrow is a bit more stupid (with chances of being caught sky-high) than a larger metro-area. People in large cities have cars go missing all the time that are never recovered, nor anybody apprehended for the crime. Why? Just because of the reasons listed above and more. Now compare to Barrow. See the point now?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Floyd, are there trees in Barrow large enough to hide stolen vehicles behind?

I think that Floyd's comments were specific to Barrow and not comparing it to anywhere else; I thought he was saying that if Barrow had a road going out of it, the idjits would still get caught pretty easily.

Quote:
If there was a road out of town... think about how stupid it would be to drive a stolen vehicle to say Fairbanks down that one road.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-19-2011 at 02:20 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Wow, another thread about Barrow that devolved into Floyd calling everyone else stupid. And before the second page!
The only "everyone" I called stupid was "criminals are stupid!" Are you actually saying that everyone posting in this thread is a criminal? I won't even call you stupid for saying such a stupid thing... but after a few more examples of saying stupid things it does tend to cause folks to draw conclusions about your level of smarts, eh?

Quote:
Some thoughts:

Even in large cities that is not a significant factor. In locations where the next population center is at least 100 miles distant, it has no significance.

Your comment does not logically apply to Barrow. The poor logic of the comments being made was exactly what I was targeting.

Quote:
And then walk back to town? It's March and the temp last night was -25F.

Your comment does not logically apply to Barrow.

Quote:
Yeah, right. They first drive the car they already have out there, and walk back to steal a car to drive out and get the other car. What did they need to steal a car for it they had one? And how far is the hideaway? 10 miles? 20 miles? In a town that is two miles across, that's silly.

Quote:
Sure. That's really important in Barrow. There are three Christmas trees stuck in the snow somewhere around town I'm sure, and the nearest "hill" is 120 miles south.

Quote:
It isn't though!

Quote:
Very good! Now you are agreeing with my statement that criminals are stupid.

But your opening paragraph and then 4 of your 5 numbered thoughts are a pretty good indication of how smart you are. I have no need to call you stupid, because you just did that yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska