Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 AM

56 posts, read 83,342 times

Advertisements

Providing I like it in the interior (which I'm almost certain I will but open to going other places if it's not my cup of bear), what is suggested for a vehicle if I'm looking to settle in the following areas - Delta Junction, Palmer, Cantwell, Fairbanks. I'll probably purchase the vehicle in Colorado when the time comes.

A friend of mine suggested that I buy a 4x4 vehicle and tow it to Alaska and sell it up there because it's worth more up there and I can sell it for more than I paid for it in Colorado. I can't believe I'll make back what I have to pay to get the damn thing up there....

Words, opinions, ideas.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
You didn't mention price.

If you want a SUV, I'd go for a 2005-2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee or Commander with Quadra-Drive II. This gives you front and rear electronic limited slip differentials, which give you the abililty to put 100% of the power to a single wheel in very low traction situations. Will need a 2" lift for serious off roading.

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is also a good choice, as it comes with front/rear lockers and some other goodies from the factory.

If you want a truck, a Dodge Power Wagon is my favorite choice. Front and rear lockers and an electronic disconnecting stablizer bar, plus an integrated winch. The Ford Raptor has similar capabilities, but doesn't come with a front locker and is more of a baja racer. A new 2011 Power Wagon will start around $40k.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux32aMUR_0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSfBr...eature=related

If you want something cheap, just get a 1997 Wrangler Sport (v6) that already has all of the goodies installed. Will probably cost around $10-12k if it has the lockers/wheels/tires/winch, etc.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
little doubt in my mind. a V6 4Runner has all the features of a Truck yet can store your gear in the vehicle where it's warm. The 4WD has a locking differential with choices of 4hi and 4 lo as well as 2WD and 4WD options shift on the fly below 50mph. For deep snow, mud and trails it's unequaled IMO. Match it with a pair of Nokians. Mileage around 15 to 22 depending on conditions. Dealers in Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Buy in Alaska and save yourself sales tax. 2004 to 2008 are your best bets.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:35 AM

Tough Stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
4x4 vehicle for interior - suggestions on what to buy?-dsc_0003.jpg  

Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 AM

I don't like to give certain parameters because I believe it limits the variations of suggestions from others.

Some of my best ideas were born of ****ty, vague posts that elicited a mind-boggling array of answers.

Keep it coming.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
little doubt in my mind. a V6 4Runner has all the features of a Truck yet can store your gear in the vehicle where it's warm. The 4WD has a locking differential with choices of 4hi and 4 lo as well as 2WD and 4WD options shift on the fly below 50mph. For deep snow, mud and trails it's unequaled IMO. Match it with a pair of Nokians. Mileage around 15 to 22 depending on conditions. Dealers in Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Buy in Alaska and save yourself sales tax. 2004 to 2008 are your best bets.

THanks for the sales tax reminder AADAD! I am so used to buying things online to avoid sales tax.....

Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 AM

yes vehicles are about the same price here maybe a touch higher but save a pantload on the sales tax. no towing either. easy speezy.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:25 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
4Runners are good, same with a FJ Cruiser, but they don't have front locking diffs from the factory, so not as capable as the Jeeps and Power Wagon.

If you got $35-40k, get a 4th Gen Power Wagon. Already lifted from the factory and has everything you need. It has a 380HP 5.7 HEMI and can tow 10,000lbs. And most capable truck available. You can get a 3rd Gen PW for around $20k, but the interior and features aren't as nice as the newer ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlpPY5xw10c

Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
I have no direct expereince in AK yet... So, this is my opinion on living in an area with snow and being a little isolated.

For general "getting around", I've read many pages here on the topic. From CRV's, Rav4's, to Land Rovers, to Heavy Duty Trucks and everything in between. Although, I would stay away from light trucks and rear-drive only vehicles, they tend to do 360's in the snow/ice. I liked the Volvo XC-70 my wife had - the heater worked the fastest on any car/truck I have owned to date.

If I 'assume' you mean a good off-road vehicle...

For serious off-roading, large heavy duty trucks can be problematic. Down here, we use large heavy duty trucks to go in the glades, but we don't have to deal with the slippery stuff and the muck is only so deep, before you hit limestone/coral. We also put 44" tires, lockers, and large lift kits on them... We go where no stock Hummer H1 can go. (One followed us and got stuck a bizallion times - it just isn't built for that type of off-roading) I've seen Jeeps with smaller lift kits and tire sizes blaze trails where the Silverado I had at the time couldn't go. Want a Florida mud truck - I can direct you accordingly...

Here is my .02 for AK with things I WOULD think about:

With being isolated in AK, what type of vehicle are you familiar with? What can you "fix" the best yourself? I hear people rave about Toyotas, but I don't know how to fix them as well as a V8 -Fords and Chevys, or an Inline-6 Jeep. (I'd love to get my hands on a 4.0L HO Jeep Wrangler.)

Since you didn't put a price range.....

Earthroamer makes an off-road capable RV... www dot earthroamer dot com. If I ever won lotto it is on my bucket list....

BTW, What exactly is a cup of bear? I hope you meant beer...

Old 03-20-2011, 11:11 AM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
Unless you need a truck, I'd get something like a Subaru wagon. Low center of gravity is good on slippery surfaces, and you'll appreciate the fuel economy and reliability in this high fuel price environment.

While Jeeps are capable vehicles, they'll bleed you dry in the repair shop, and once they get over 100k- forget about it. My friend owns a full service shop which specializes in auto heating and air conditioning, and the Jeeps pay his bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska