U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
7,311 posts, read 12,219,412 times
Reputation: 6138

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It might not even be possible for her to get on the ferry at Bellingham in August...they book up months in advance. Prince Rupert is better if she has to drive. Personally I'd barge it up and fly.
I wouldn't barge my vehicle in the summer. If you don't get it there in time or they are running full you could have to do without for a month or longer. It's still more expensive to send it on the barge then it is to take the ferry from Prince Rupert.

On a 19' vehicle there is a $500 price difference between Bellingham and Prince Rupert.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/documents/fares/summer_11/S11_SETariffs.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 PM
 
21,812 posts, read 27,902,571 times
Reputation: 16578
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I wouldn't barge my vehicle in the summer. If you don't get it there in time or they are running full you could have to do without for a month or longer. It's still more expensive to send it on the barge then it is to take the ferry from Prince Rupert.

On a 19' vehicle there is a $500 price difference between Bellingham and Prince Rupert.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/documents/fares/summer_11/S11_SETariffs.pdf (broken link)

For me the added expense would be worth not having to make a long drive with a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
7,311 posts, read 12,219,412 times
Reputation: 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
For me the added expense would be worth not having to make a long drive with a child.
I guess. When my kids were young, 4,5, & 7 we made that drive from Prince Rupert to Seattle at least 15 times. They never complained. They did get antsy quite a few times on the SEA to ANC drive. Only did that 4 times and that was enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 PM
 
21,812 posts, read 27,902,571 times
Reputation: 16578
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I guess. When my kids were young, 4,5, & 7 we made that drive from Prince Rupert to Seattle at least 15 times. They never complained. They did get antsy quite a few times on the SEA to ANC drive. Only did that 4 times and that was enough.
This is why I've always kept a vehicle in both the lower 48 and in AK. It's only 4 hours from Eugene to Ketch. if you get the right flight...though I could see the drive being pleasant if children were not involved. Might have to bring a car down to Oregon after salmon season and will probably drive through Canada then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top