Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
no gas (or very little) or costly shipping/transportation spent in shooting and processing your own meat...
Sounds nice... but the fact is that it takes a lot of gasoline to put meat on the table. It also takes a lot of time, and is extremely hard work that requires both talent and experience. Or, being successful at it does... playing at it does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Yes I'm with you freezen... but gathering your own food and firewood is "green"... no plastic pre-wrapping comes with that... very organic actually... no gas (or very little) or costly shipping/transportation spent in shooting and processing your own meat...
What? Are you cutting wood by hand? Chainsaws requires gas and oil. And most hunters in AK would disagree about not needing gas....4-wheelers, boats, snowmachines, airplanes......not exactly "green!"

Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM

854 posts, read 1,977,575 times
i have only ever hunted on foot.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
I wait for the animals to come up near my back porch

Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
i have only ever hunted on foot.
And if you don't catch anything... you eat store bought food.

It's wonderful to be able to play at subsistence (I did a lot of that myself). But if store bought food is not an alternative, the level of success required is significantly higher and much harder to attain.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Subsistence fishing is pretty important to a lot of the people here. Not only is it much healthier food but it's some of the best tasting food in the world--you'd pay a hundred bucks a plate for some of the average meals on the island during sockeye season. All you really need for sockeye is a skiff (or a friend with one), and if the elders are not able to get their own, they can have someone else do it for them.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,057 times
Default yes it can be wasteful... but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Sounds nice... but the fact is that it takes a lot of gasoline to put meat on the table. It also takes a lot of time, and is extremely hard work that requires both talent and experience. Or, being successful at it does... playing at it does not.
The people that I am thinking of are very efficient at hunting and a great amount of talent. All their meat comes from their hunts and the savings is tremendous... in fact one of them donates a lot of their meat to food pantries since they are one of a few that can and are approved. WIN WIN because here in Wisconsin, the deer are way over populated and the land is having a hard time supporting their numbers.

You are correct though.. for just the sport... a lot of money does get spent doesn't it??...

Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,057 times
Default hunting by foot... old fashion walking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
What? Are you cutting wood by hand? Chainsaws requires gas and oil. And most hunters in AK would disagree about not needing gas....4-wheelers, boats, snowmachines, airplanes......not exactly "green!"
Yes chainsaws do need gas... I've cut a lot of wood with one tank of gas though... hunting requires a lot of walking.. yes gas to get you to the area but come on... much greener then styrofoam and plastic wrapped meat by gosh... LOL .... YES and the taste difference... hmmm.. this is making me hungry

Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM

442 posts, read 552,884 times
Thanks for the suggestions everybody, sound like some neat places.

P.S. Please---Stop trolling with your hunting crap please.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:53 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
Ray is pretty tough and isn't letting his house fire get the best of him. His family is safe, his dog is safe and he still has his sense of humor!
Thanks you, young lady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska