U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:27 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,925,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Is he the guy who lived next door to them and wrote the book about them? That guy seemed like a scumbag of the first order. I don't read books by scumbags, as a general rule.

And I don't care for Sarah Palin one bit. I just don't care to read a book whose chief concern is slandering another person.
not the same guy as you now know but....the guy who moved next door...why is he a scumbag?? he is doing what he makes money at and that is writing books...he did nothing to the Palins simply lived next door and observed them so what....no different than hundreds of thousand of nosy neighbors do every day and some do write about their neighbors...just they and the media don't make an issue of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,936,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50
no different than hundreds of thousand of nosy neighbors do every day and some do write about their neighbors...just they and the media don't make an issue of it.
I also think gossipy people who spy on their neighbors and tell everyone about their business are scumbags. Why, do you disagree? Surely you don't think spying on someone who lives next door and telling everyone all their family issues is an OK thing to do. And the fact that he moved in next door just to do that... yeah, definitely a scumbag by my definition. I guess we can agree to disagree. I think gossipy people are pretty damn low on the totem pole. Even worse when they publish their gossip on a national level.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 PM

4,045 posts, read 5,440,432 times
Honestly Ship, America needs to know what kind of woman she really is, she does not deserve the adulation. Rather than gossip have you thought that maybe Joe McGinnis, the author is trying to save us from a major disaster? That is what those of us who KNOW think.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:36 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,101,185 times
What causes me to question the integrity of Mr. McGinniss is his decision to leak Frank Bailey's manuscript to the ADN. I don't know what his reasoning for that was, except to possibly compromise its chances for publication. If that was the case, I'm glad it didn't work as intended.

On the other hand, as far as him moving in next door to the Palins, I don't think that many of us would have been thrilled with that in their position. But he did so openly without trying to hide it. Personally I don't think I'll buy either book....already read Bailey's and just don't have a lot of interest in Joe's.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-22-2011 at 12:00 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 03:22 AM

11 posts, read 15,035 times
Sarah Palin, my former governor, and a former candidate for a national office. Is that the lady we are talking about in this thread?

A story. True. When I deployed to Kuwait and Iraq with the 3rd Battalion, 297th Infantry, Alaska Army National Guard, you know how many civilians came to visit us? Not many. They couldn't, and not many, beyond USO sponsored talent like Carrie Underwood, tried to come. Kid Rock showed, so I think he's a pretty awesome dude. I mean, what the hell, a (the) unpopular war in its third year, Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, and Sailors gettin wasted on a pretty regular basis. Lame ****. Seriously. What's the deal. Who cares. The civvies are loving it up back home. Easy. War? What war? What's Brad and Jo-lee up to (sorry I can't remember whch j is who) Bfd. War. Pfft. No sacrifices for most. You had to go places like Fort Richardson or Camp Lejeune to get it.

The only ones besides Carrie Underwood and Kid Rock to come see us was our Governor, Sarah Palin. Checking on her Alaskan Soldiers, kids from all over the state. Us. Me.
The problem, if it is one, is that many people recognize in Sarah a person who speaks what they think and feel. Not mild, not cowering, and, importantly, if you are able to get past the things ascribed to her by outliers, a person who is a leader. I don't agree with plenty of what she has aligned herself with, but I feel and think the same of all career politicians. Sarah, laugh at me all you want, is a leader. Popular, unpopular, may all that be damned in favor of a person strong enough to speak their mind. Plenty of Americans, including me, want to believe in a nation governed by our peers. Not a nation governed by Harvard, Yale, and Stanford pukes who have only reaped rather than given anything for their country.
Take this as you want. Be offended. Defend what you believe in. What do you believe in?
God Bless America.

Last edited by twiceasugly; 04-22-2011 at 04:05 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 03:26 AM

16,448 posts, read 10,807,370 times
Shrill. Needs a voice coach. I like her.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 AM

6,949 posts, read 5,119,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiceasugly View Post
Sarah Palin, my former governor, and a former candidate for a national office. Is that the lady we are talking about in this thread?

A story. True. When I deployed to Kuwait and Iraq with the 3rd Battalion, 297th Infantry, Alaska Army National Guard, you know how many civilians came to visit us? Not many. They couldn't, and not many, beyond USO sponsored talent like Carrie Underwood, tried to come. Kid Rock showed, so I think he's a pretty awesome dude. I mean, what the hell, a (the) unpopular war in its third year, Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, and Sailors gettin wasted on a pretty regular basis. Lame ****. Seriously. What's the deal. Who cares. The civvies are loving it up back home. Easy. War? What war? What's Brad and Jo-lee up to (sorry I can't remember whch j is who) Bfd. War. Pfft. No sacrifices for most. You had to go places like Fort Richardson or Camp Lejeune to get it.

The only ones besides Carrie Underwood and Kid Rock to come see us was our Governor, Sarah Palin. Checking on her Alaskan Soldiers, kids from all over the state. Us. Me.
The problem, if it is one, is that many people recognize in Sarah a person who speaks what they think and feel. Not mild, not cowering, and, importantly, if you are able to get past the things ascribed to her by outliers, a person who is a leader. I don't agree with plenty of what she has aligned herself with, but I feel and think the same of all career politicians. Sarah, laugh at me all you want, is a leader. Popular, unpopular, may all that be damned in favor of a person strong enough to speak their mind. Plenty of Americans, including me, want to believe in a nation governed by our peers. Not a nation governed by Harvard, Yale, and Stanford pukes who have only reaped rather than given anything for their country.
Take this as you want. Be offended. Defend what you believe in. What do you believe in?
God Bless America.
Thank you for posting this. I was hoping to hear from a person honest and forthright. I don't agree with anything the lady has to say, and I have wondered why so many do. This helps me get my head around it.

Not offended. Impressed.

What I loved about this country and why I chose to remain is that I feel the same. I don't think that she (at least from my viewpoint) is the way to get back to it, and all the other talking heads lining their pockets are not either. A Marine posted in the NY Times the other day spelling out the world revolution is caps and separated by spaces. That was telling for anyone who saw it.

What to do. Where to go. Much is working right in this country. Much is not. Your sentiments ring like a bell.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 AM

5,964 posts, read 7,209,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiceasugly View Post

God Bless America.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM

1,976 posts, read 1,936,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Honestly Ship, America needs to know what kind of woman she really is, she does not deserve the adulation. Rather than gossip have you thought that maybe Joe McGinnis, the author is trying to save us from a major disaster? That is what those of us who KNOW think.
I see your point, but do you really think that fans of Sarah Palin are going to read this book and go, "Oh man, we really screwed up, we need to stop following this lady"? No. They are going to get pissed and do their best to discredit the guy and eventually the book will fade into obscurity. At least that's my prediction.

Ahhh, the American Dream, get rich quick and fade into obscurity.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:34 AM

16,106 posts, read 16,101,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I see your point, but do you really think that fans of Sarah Palin are going to read this book and go, "Oh man, we really screwed up, we need to stop following this lady"? No. They are going to get pissed and do their best to discredit the guy and eventually the book will fade into obscurity. At least that's my prediction.

Ahhh, the American Dream, get rich quick and fade into obscurity.
The remaining Palin diehards are going to respond as you have predicted; the book (s) may or may not prevent more people from supporting her in any further political endeavors.

If you're talking about McGinnis when you say "get rich quick...." he's already a very well known author.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska