Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 01:14 PM

310 posts, read 777,860 times

Advertisements

Does any one have a green house? It seems to be the thing to do. Do you use it all year long? I see the kits that they sell on the net. Looks like they wouldn't last that long.
Is it worth just spending the money to get a glass and steel green house like on a Wendys?
Do you have to pollenate the plants yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdontcare View Post
Do you have to pollenate the plants yourself?
I have absolutely nothing to offer this thread, but am curious to see what real answers people might provide!
A lot of the vegetarian concerns on living in Alaska they were saying an easy fix was by establishing your own greenhouse.

My concern would be.. how well would something you can buy over the internet, hold up under piles of snow come wintertime?

Old 08-01-2007, 03:44 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
My Dad used one (still does) for years. It has a steep pitched roof and sheds the snow nicely. He built it himself from 2x4's and fibreglass corrugated panels. He only puts tomatoes and zuccini in it. There are some decent kits out there. I'd just shop around and ensure they have a good tall and steep roof.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Depends on what part of Alaska--keep in mind it isn't all snow.

For the snowy parts, the roof is of course the most important thing. You can get some good kits but like Rance said, shop around. A lot of people do build their own.

As for using it all year long, many people find the costs involved with that to be prohibitive.

Whether you hand pollinate or not depends on what you're growing

Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
In Fairbanks, people buy or build them. Spenards had a barn style one I built for the house, but it quickly turned into a shed. A hazzard of living here. Garages are not for cars! especially in the summer. The people I know use them to start plants in the spring after they started them in their windows, yes mainly tomatoes and other warm weather plants. The green houses turn into sheds up here around September when the bicycles need a place to stay. My former inlaws had an attached green house similar to the wendys idea. It would get cold in there but never extremely cold, in the winter. So over wintering was out of the question. Though some people put certain plants in their heated garage to over winter.

I have a year round garden about 5 minutes from the house, and if what I want is not ripe I just come back a couple of days later. I call my garden Freds as in the grocery store Freds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: