U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-06-2011, 05:31 PM

1,214 posts, read 824,114 times
AFAIK you can get them same day if you go in-person to a regional passport authority, for the normal passport price: Schedule an Appointment at a Regional Passport Agency
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 05:43 PM

87 posts, read 78,769 times
Yeah Dakster, but we leave in 10 business days. I think I'll just pay the exorbitant fees and be done eith it. We'll call it a life lesson. Ugh!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:15 PM

1,450 posts, read 2,277,076 times
Apply before you leave - I just don't know how much crap they are gonna give you at the border they still can. There is an office in downtown Seattle that you get that day. I forgot you never had one. You have to have expired one.

Uhmm In the past when it was all backlogged when the change happened in 09 I rushed mine during that time. Paid to have it expediated. It was around $220 if I remember. I did recieve it then when they said 2 weeks within a week. I really would try to get it sent to you or if you can make arrangements to pick up in WA along the way somehow?

Flying maybe an option from ? Alaska at the first of the month was doing a one way to Anchorage for $189 from Seattle - SEATAC - they are also flying out of Bellingham now too.. Good luck!

(Yes Enhanced in WA wants utility bills, plus more for license.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:27 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,109,737 times
If you really need it (and I sure thought you did) have it shipped to Juneau, since you're staying there a few days. That will give you some extra time to get it.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 AM

87 posts, read 78,769 times
Tigre, that's the plan right now. That'll buy us some time for sure.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 AM

3,468 posts, read 3,453,582 times
Good luck and let us know how it goes....

Old 05-07-2011, 02:14 PM

144 posts, read 79,681 times
It has been awhile since I drove the highway, but at customs Canada, they want to see that you have ins. on your car, that it is in good condition, want to see your money, ect. Over 20 years ago when I first came up the highway, they wanted us to have $2000 per person with you and no more than 3-10 days worth of food. They want you to buy their food, but dont want to take care of you if you end up with a problem you cant afford to get out of.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:35 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,201,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
It has been awhile since I drove the highway, but at customs Canada, they want to see that you have ins. on your car, that it is in good condition, want to see your money, ect. Over 20 years ago when I first came up the highway, they wanted us to have $2000 per person with you and no more than 3-10 days worth of food. They want you to buy their food, but dont want to take care of you if you end up with a problem you cant afford to get out of.
They cared about illegal importation of food, the same way that every other country in the world does, because of cross contamination (the same thing happens in certain areas of Washington where they have apple maggot quarantines) than because of forcing you to used their economy. After all they're getting a huge chunk of change from gas taxes, far more than they'd ever get from food, and they didn't ask us about how much gas we were carrying. We brought about 50 sealed buckets of dried food goods through Canada, the only care they had was that they not be opened during our transit.

I guess you haven't traveled internationally very much...

They couldn't care less about the good condition of our vehicles either, although they didn't look like beaters. Nor were they interested in the size of our pocketbooks. Are you sure you were traveling through Canada?

Old 05-07-2011, 02:53 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,385,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
They couldn't care less about the good condition of our vehicles either, although they didn't look like beaters. Nor were they interested in the size of our pocketbooks. Are you sure you were traveling through Canada?
I can confirm that in 1982 when I drove with 2 others thru Canada to Alaska that what Keyman51 states is so....they had an issue with 3 people not related traveling to AK...the amount of money each of us had in cash which we had to give to them to count out, credit cards etc, weapons, and the statement was "we don't want you breaking down and not make it out of Canada" we were driving a fairly new 3/4 ton Ford!

Old 05-07-2011, 03:21 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,201,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
I can confirm that in 1982 when I drove with 2 others thru Canada to Alaska that what Keyman51 states is so....they had an issue with 3 people not related traveling to AK...the amount of money each of us had in cash which we had to give to them to count out, credit cards etc, weapons, and the statement was "we don't want you breaking down and not make it out of Canada" we were driving a fairly new 3/4 ton Ford!
Well my trip was 2009, and there's plenty of Treaties and Legislation passed under the bridge since then.

Of course being that this is an international border it's probably all changed in the past two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska