Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
as long as there is an unorganized borough, those wanting bush life should be able to find a place that suits them.
Not if the city people make it impossible through laws, taxes, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 06:58 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Yeah; they've been trying to incorporate us out here for awhile.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:51 PM

225 posts, read 397,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Not if the city people make it impossible through laws, taxes, etc....
Don't forget mines and pipelines.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:01 PM

854 posts, read 1,964,089 times
how can city people (living in their own borough) make laws and/or apply taxes to an entirely different borough? can your county pass laws and raise taxes in the next county?
or are you talking about state laws?
the unorganized borough will stay unorganized unless certain parts choose to organize.

i like not living in an organized borough for a lot of reasons.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:03 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,818,309 times
I don't know what to call the emotion on display in this thread. Nostalgia? Wistfulness? Downright anger? I just don't know. I can completely understand why you guys would be nostalgic and wish things could be like they were, believe me. I'm very young compared to pretty much all of you, and there are places in my hometown area that are just completely different from how they were (and not for the better either). It definitely makes me sad when I drive through those areas. BUT...

The thing is, first of all, what's done is done. Sure it may suck, sure it should be different, but it's done. There is an area in metro Birmingham called Irondale which encompasses a fairly large area. and it has always been my stomping grounds for playing outdoors. More than half of Irondale has changed so much since I was a kid that it would be almost unrecognizable to someone who moved away and then came back 20 years later. Our Jeep trails have been replaced with subdivisions, our backcountry roads have become smooth-paved and high-traffic. It's not good at all, in my view. In fact, it sucks. There are plenty of other places both there and here in WNC that have gone through the same thing.

So guess what I have chosen to do? Move away from it. There are plenty of people who love city life and will be glad to live in those places. Those same people would not be happy in rural areas of Alaska. Therefore, I will go where those people will not go. There are multiple factors in Alaska that will keep out undesirables: climate, remoteness/distance from amenities, etc. Those folks don't like not being able to run down the street and pick up a candy bar, so those people won't be moving to rural/remote Alaska. Sure, the city can have some influence, but it seems that the unorganized borough prevents that to some extent.

So, I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say, other than that there are plenty of places where you can live and not have to deal with all the crap that you guys are describing. I will say though, that if somewhere like Nondalton or Nuiqsut doesn't satisfy your need for a remote, primitive lifestyle, there probably aren't very many places on Earth that will. At that point, you probably need to readjust your expectations in order to make them more realistic.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:32 PM

i do remember going back to the town where i grew up. the grassy hillsides and cows had been replaced with subdivisions. and yes, it was depressing. i don't wish that fate on any piece of land, but it will continue to happen if people continue perpetuating consumer culture. most of all, i'm happy to have been able to escape all of that (for now, at least). hopefully it'll take a while to catch up.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:41 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
how can city people (living in their own borough) make laws and/or apply taxes to an entirely different borough? can your county pass laws and raise taxes in the next county?
or are you talking about state laws?
the unorganized borough will stay unorganized unless certain parts choose to organize.

i like not living in an organized borough for a lot of reasons.
The organized boroughs can apply to annex portions of the unorganized land, can't they? They've tried to pull that here a time or two, I think.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:06 AM

i don't know exactly how it works, but i would imagine that they can't do it without the consent of those to be annexed. or so i hope...

Old 05-08-2011, 01:38 AM

225 posts, read 397,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I don't know what to call the emotion on display in this thread. Nostalgia? Wistfulness? Downright anger? I just don't know. I can completely understand why you guys would be nostalgic and wish things could be like they were, believe me. I'm very young compared to pretty much all of you, and there are places in my hometown area that are just completely different from how they were (and not for the better either). It definitely makes me sad when I drive through those areas. BUT...

The thing is, first of all, what's done is done. Sure it may suck, sure it should be different, but it's done. There is an area in metro Birmingham called Irondale which encompasses a fairly large area. and it has always been my stomping grounds for playing outdoors. More than half of Irondale has changed so much since I was a kid that it would be almost unrecognizable to someone who moved away and then came back 20 years later. Our Jeep trails have been replaced with subdivisions, our backcountry roads have become smooth-paved and high-traffic. It's not good at all, in my view. In fact, it sucks. There are plenty of other places both there and here in WNC that have gone through the same thing.

So guess what I have chosen to do? Move away from it. There are plenty of people who love city life and will be glad to live in those places. Those same people would not be happy in rural areas of Alaska. Therefore, I will go where those people will not go. There are multiple factors in Alaska that will keep out undesirables: climate, remoteness/distance from amenities, etc. Those folks don't like not being able to run down the street and pick up a candy bar, so those people won't be moving to rural/remote Alaska. Sure, the city can have some influence, but it seems that the unorganized borough prevents that to some extent.

So, I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say, other than that there are plenty of places where you can live and not have to deal with all the crap that you guys are describing. I will say though, that if somewhere like Nondalton or Nuiqsut doesn't satisfy your need for a remote, primitive lifestyle, there probably aren't very many places on Earth that will. At that point, you probably need to readjust your expectations in order to make them more realistic.

Let me see if I can explain this from my point of view. There are two Alaskas.
, Urban/Rural, the only problem is, people on the road system came up with that term. Many of us who are old time don't refer to ourselves as rural. We are "bushdwellers/bushrats" or some say which is a political term, real Alaskans. As an outsider who wants to become an Alaskan so much, you are trying to fit in before you come to Alaska and I understand you are trying to approach our issues as if you are already here. Maybe you just haven't caught on here, people in Alaska have their own personal way of addressing issues pertaining to Alaska and we think we are right. The original question in this thread is "What do you think....
Alaska will be like in 10-15 years?" People are answering the question and throwing in their thoughts. Simply put, yes, things have changed but, we don't have to like it and that is our right, to express what we feel. Oh and I forgot, another thing about Alaskans, we don't care what they do anyplace else and we don't have to readjust our expectations because someone says, maybe we should.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:11 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,792,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Alaska isn't going anywhere, and you're still lucky to live in such a beautiful, relatively unspoiled place.
That's the point though, isn't it? People don't want to lose that.

It's taken a fair amount of effort to keep the parts of the Unorganized borough that are still unorganized, unorganized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska