U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-20-2011, 08:41 PM

22 posts, read 12,541 times
Lightbulb ~ General Questions about different parts of Alaska ~

Hello all,

I'm moving on Jul 1 and I am considering Alaska, which has been a dream of mine since I was a child.

To better consider moving there in general, I have a few questions.

Let me say a few things about what I am looking for and perhaps that can help you all tell me about some of the different locations that I should consider.

~ Life ~ is what I am looking for, that is, Life away from the 'Seas of Concrete' otherwise known as Civilization (City Life).

I like my Privacy (From People), I want to be able to look out my window and see a tree and not a building or a sky scraper. I love life of all forms, I love the water, I love the mountains, I love the ocean, the Forrest, in short I love all life and can't stand looking at it being distorted.

So a secluded area (as much as it can be on my limited budget at the moment) is a very large part of where I intend to move. I want to be a decent driving distance to a smaller town and I have no problem getting things mailed to me, so long as I have a mail box and UPS or some shipping service will ship there.

I can afford $500 or so a month for rent at the moment, It does not have to be 'Fancy' or anything, as that is what I am trying to get away from. It does have to be as private as possible though, where I can play my music at 2 in the morning and not have to worry if I am bothering someone just by being myself.

That is about my only requirement really, (I could only imagine Seeing the Northern Lights outside my window, the star light and the moon light illuminating my very home and Soul), somewhere I can be left the heck alone and be myself while embracing life without having to see concrete everywhere. I intend to Self Educate Via the internet and one day Work online as well. So in regards to the home, well I need some form of a stable internet connection, power, water, privacy, a mail box and to be frank that's about it.

Well I will probably need some Organically Grown Cotton Long Johns for when I go out side as well lol.

Speaking of which, with these locations, how are they? I understand that I do not understand much when it comes to things like how long does it stay light in those locations? I am going to fly and buy a Vehicle once there, Whats some things to look out for when driving, or even buying a Car or Truck? I would Imagine a truck would handle better? Would I need Chains on my tires? How about Cell Phone Service in this area, is there any? if not can I buy like some form of super antenna to make my cell phone work if it is needed when I am out?, What about Wild Life to look out for so I don't startle it and get myself in trouble while I am out etc..? Last time I saw a Moose was on a show I saw when I was a child called Northern Exposure I think it was called lol. In short I would have to learn about how to Safely live there in all ways.

I could keep writing a book, however I'll leave it at that, I welcome all feedback and I will start to do some real research myself, as it has now become apparent to me that if I so choose, I can now make this happen, Logically.

Thank ya,

~Jason

Last edited by EarthPhoenix; 05-20-2011 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-20-2011, 09:22 PM

20,876 posts, read 20,360,254 times
First things first, did you get your passport?

Unread 05-20-2011, 09:36 PM

5,964 posts, read 6,410,702 times
Second, do you have a job waiting .......or alot of money saved up? It doesn't sound like you have a job since you don't even know what part to move to. How do you plan to support yourself?

Unread 05-20-2011, 09:47 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,624,529 times
Alaska is as big as California, Montana, and Texas combined with room to spare. I think in order to get some good answers from these fine folks who live in Alaska you're going to need to be a bit more specific. You could live in one part of AK and be on a rainforest island, and you could live in another part of AK and be in the Arctic tundra. Also, it could be 25˚F in one place and -45˚F in two parts of AK at the same time, so yeah, there's a lot of different possibilities to explore.

I've been hanging around here for awhile now and I'm only starting to understand. And even then I will never fully understand until I go see it myself.

Unread 05-20-2011, 09:52 PM

2,485 posts, read 3,484,792 times
If he can afford $500 a month he likely has some kind of income.

And I don't think you need a passport .... Warpt.... take it easy on these people. There might be some places where you can get all of that for $500 a month. Maybe in Bethel... Just kidding Warpt.

Actually around here is will be hard to find privacy, water, power, and internet for $500 a month. Not impossible, but hard.

Here are a FEW Cabin for rent (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/apa/2391661210.html - broken link) BTW...dry means no water.

12 x 12 cabin (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/apa/2376244819.html - broken link)

Small One Room Cabin (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/apa/2348353010.html - broken link) I like this one..."if you haven't lived in Alaska for at least on winter don't bother"

Small cabin for rent (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/apa/2323732138.html - broken link) I like this one too. better have a good 4by

cute cabin (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/apa/2322077632.html - broken link)

tiny cabin for light work in dog yard (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/apa/2319530400.html - broken link) Better like dogs...9X6 cabin...that's the definition of efficient living.

Unread 05-20-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest
Small cabin for rent (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/apa/2323732138.html - broken link) I like this one too. better have a good 4by
Man... that is... pretty much exactly what I'm looking for eventually. Except, I'm not gonna lie, I would prefer running water and a better source of electricity to run an oven, fridge, coffee maker, and maybe microwave. They made it sound like appliances are a no-go there.

But yeah, a house that requires 4x4 to get to, IN the mountains like that, and that close to Girdwood for a nice Saturday night out once in awhile? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. 'Course, might have to work my way up to that kind of living situation, but that's alright.

Unread 05-20-2011, 10:08 PM

20,876 posts, read 20,360,254 times
Don't be silly, everyone knows that Alaska pays everyone a grand when they first get here, I seen that on the Simpson's movie.

Unread 05-20-2011, 10:29 PM

14,627 posts, read 23,022,346 times
Sterling pretty much offers all mentioned above. Except your 10 miles from Soldotna which may be too close to civilization for some. But there are still vacant lot's for sale, we have electricity, phones, water, trees, wildlife, fish, rivers and lakes, post office, UPS delivers, and I think you can even find places to rent at or near $500 bucks a month. You may have to shell out for utilities tho.
You won't need a truck or chains in winter either.
Not much for work but come summer you may be able to get a job as a laborer or at a local cannery. Ther eis usually something to do.

Unread 05-20-2011, 10:38 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,141,529 times
Fairbanks, Goldstream Valley.

Unread 05-20-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance
Not much for work but come summer you may be able to get a job as a laborer or at a local cannery. Ther eis usually something to do.
Weird that you say that, because I usually come up with lots of jobs whenever I search for seasonal employment. Of course, that's in my field (Forestry/Wildlife Management), but I usually see general labor jobs listed too. I figure I can secure one of those jobs and then drive around to different road system towns on off days as time and money allows and see what jobs I can find to carry me through the winter. I have been told it matters a lot to have boots on the ground as far as finding work in AK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska