Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:19 PM

455 posts, read 743,728 times

Advertisements

While Juneau is the official state capital of Alaska, there are actually more state employees who reside in the Anchorage area. Around 6,800 state employees work in Anchorage compared to around 3,800 in Juneau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 02:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
It's like this. Anchorage barely existed at the time. It was just a little railroad center. Fairbanks was too far; people didn't jump on a jet in those days and in those days it wasn't much more than a mining community that most people looked upon as temporary.

Looking at how things are today I can see why it wouldn't make good sense to some people, but how things are today has no bearing on decisions made in a different time and a very different place.

Sitka was the original territorial capital.

Personally I would be very much against a capital move to Anchorage; they do quite a bit of state business there, though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-26-2011 at 02:41 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Personally I would be very much against a capital move to Anchorage
Ditto. It's considered a good idea to keep the political center of gravity away from the electoral core, keeps the interests separated... at least in theory it's supposed to work that way.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:39 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
^ Well, put that way, it makes sense for sure. The thing about Alaska is that it's so diverse that you couldn't possibly pick any single capital city that would accurately portray the entire state. I still think Fairbanks would be a great choice, just because the interior is representative of the extremes of the state.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:28 PM

38 posts, read 79,070 times
The built-up area is tiny, but I know that Juneau has what they call "out the road". Juneau's borders on paper make it almost as big as Rhode Island and Delaware put together.

I'd always assumed that the Tongass National Forest was the primary obstacle to development in the Southeast, as opposed to the terrain. While yes, it is more expensive, there are still things you can do to build on steep slopes if that's the only land you have. There's also no lack of experience with off-grid living in Alaska, which is what everyone living "out the road" does anyway.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:33 PM

There's very little interest in moving the capital anymore. Personally, I don't think the state needs the expense.

Push to move capital from Juneau gets no momentum: Legislature | Alaska news at adn.com

Some of the remarks in the comment section are just flat out wrong, by the way.

Juneau was the first (white) town in Alaska; I don't think there was even so much as a tent on the ground of what is now Anchorage or Fairbanks when it was established.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Juneau was the first (white) town in Alaska
I think Kodiak (and possibly Wrangell) were settled before Juneau. Now whether or not they qualified as "towns" is debatable.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
I think Kodiak (and possibly Wrangell) were settled before Juneau. Now whether or not they qualified as "towns" is debatable.
They were both settled first (Wrangell as a military fort and Kodiak as a Russian settlement), but Juneau was the first to become an "organized town" after we, uh, "bought" it from Russia.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:46 PM

222 posts, read 389,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf80412 View Post
The built-up area is tiny, but I know that Juneau has what they call "out the road". Juneau's borders on paper make it almost as big as Rhode Island and Delaware put together.

I'd always assumed that the Tongass National Forest was the primary obstacle to development in the Southeast, as opposed to the terrain.
That would be true in any state with National Forests. You can't build your house on the Forest.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 AM

38 posts, read 79,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrot View Post
That would be true in any state with National Forests. You can't build your house on the Forest.
Then I assume that most construction activity in the Southeast would be things like additions and remodels. But then where did "out the road" come from? Were all those people living there before the National Forest was established?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska