U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:05 PM

195 posts, read 132,485 times
Default Just checking out the facts!

Hi all,

Please, please tell me that what I have read is true and there is little risk of severe thunderstorms or tornadoes in Alaska, right? We have been hammered the last couple of years here in TN. Normally, I like a good thunderstorm, but it has been so bad here lately that everyone runs for cover at the first rumble of thunder. No tornadoes in Alaska.....just earthquakes, volcanoes, hazardous winter weather, but no poisonous insects or snakes either, correct? Thanks for any reassurance. I want to get my facts straight before making the big move!

Carrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:18 PM

14,837 posts, read 24,438,754 times
Sure we get lighting. Especially in the interior part of the state. Usually a handfull of wildfires due to lightning strikes. I know for a fact there has been a tornado near Sand Point on the Aleutian Chain, and our local paper published a funnel cloud spotted on the Kenai Peninsula very near Skilak Lake a couple summers ago.
But the peninsula lighting storms are usually short lived and not that intense.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:26 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,220,333 times
You're definitely not going to have the severe, frequent thunderstorms that you're used to down there. Depending on where you're moving, you may get some serious windstorms, though.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:40 PM

2,486 posts, read 3,790,665 times
You will have minor thunderstorms and lightning. It is very rare to see a funnel cloud. I saw one during a storm on the north side of Unimak.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:59 AM

12,809 posts, read 13,515,298 times
We get a lot of thunderstorms and lighting on the mountains along the Richardson Highway. I am talking about scary stuff. I often sleep in the back of my truck (a topper) when camping on high points along the Richardson, and sometimes it gets so bad that I just get up and drive down to the road

Old 05-30-2011, 02:25 AM

4,988 posts, read 5,362,069 times
I actually heard a thunder clap about 4:00 am this morning. First one I've heard here in ANC in about 16 months!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:08 AM

1,255 posts, read 889,884 times
I had a thunderstorm just today! It knocked out my power for a while.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,555,887 times
Alaska as thunder storms that start natural forest fires. Alaska has earthquakes. Alaska has easy highways less traffic some places.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:34 AM

20,991 posts, read 21,865,718 times
There was some thunder storm looking clouds over Denali today, and over the Talkeetna mountains.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 AM

17,007 posts, read 10,890,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnsue View Post
Hi all,

Please, please tell me that what I have read is true and there is little risk of severe thunderstorms or tornadoes in Alaska, right? We have been hammered the last couple of years here in TN. Normally, I like a good thunderstorm, but it has been so bad here lately that everyone runs for cover at the first rumble of thunder. No tornadoes in Alaska.....just earthquakes, volcanoes, hazardous winter weather, but no poisonous insects or snakes either, correct? Thanks for any reassurance. I want to get my facts straight before making the big move!

Carrie
Alaska is a big place with a lot of different weather patterns. You are more likely to encounter a thunderstorm in the interior of Alaska than along the coast. Thunderstorms within the Matanuska-Susitna Valley are not common, but do happen on particularly hot days. Thunderstorms between Fairbanks and Delta Junction are much more common, and are responsible for 80%+ of the interior fires.

There are tornadoes in Alaska, but they are rare.

USATODAY.com - Rare tornado touches down in Alaska

While Alaska does not get hurricanes since they form in the tropics, portions of Alaska do experience hurricane force winds, rain, and storm surges along the coast.

No hurricanes in Alaska, but...

There are poisonous spiders in Alaska, but no snakes.

How to Identify Spiders in Alaska | eHow.com

There are also no fleas, tics, or cockroaches in Alaska, unless you bring them with you. Alaska is also the only State in the Union where your dog cannot contract heart-worms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska