Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 01:09 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,360,781 times

Advertisements

Be good topic. What brands do individuals people use in Alaska. Three season and Four season. Backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 01:57 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Coleman, Northface or whatever I have on hand.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:15 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
People should use whatever works for them and is on sale. I've got stuff from Sierra Designs, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, North Face, Columbia, Eastern Mountain Sports, REI, Gregory, etc. Probably my very favorite pieces of equipment are my EMS Mountain Light 0 degree down bag and my REI Flash 30 backpack.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:05 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
Be good topic. What brands do individuals people use in Alaska. Three season and Four season. Backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, and so forth.
All depends. Most of the stuff is readily available at the local stores in Fairbanks, Anchorage, and vicinity. For example, Sportsman Warehouse (national chain stores), Big Ray's, Sportsman's Outfitters, etc. If all that fails, then Cabelas online, Bass Pro (Gander Mountain), Cheaper Than Dirt.....and on and on.

While I use some Coleman stoves and lanterns, a lot of the stuff they make in China is junk that's not worth buying.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,360,781 times
I noted that when an item is on sale in outdoor catalogue something is not up to standard with the item and or too small size or too large size for selling the item. I buy from campmor.com and rei.com. The whole line of rei.com tents are very much waterproof and the tent poles are always high end standard. yes Coleman stoves and lanterns are the best.

Last edited by Bob Blockus; 06-14-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
Bought a Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent this season. First night up didn't even use half the tie downs. Wind came up it didn't budge. Two other tents blew over in the night. It is a great tent very happy with it. Although 4 man is really a two if you use an air bed.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Bought a Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent this season. First night up didn't even use half the tie downs. Wind came up it didn't budge. Two other tents blew over in the night. It is a great tent very happy with it. Although 4 man is really a two if you use an air bed.

Airbed...we like comfy! make sure no poky sticks under....

Old 06-14-2011, 11:30 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Yes, I have purchased some very good Cabela's tents that stand to most windy conditions (except for Kodiak, of course). However, I have heard good things about the Alaskan Guide tents. Once well-anchoraged they stand up to the wind quite well.

I just use a full-size cot, and lots of cushion on to of it. Sluimbejack makes some good cots. Not as good as the old Army ones, but a little lighter than the Army cots, and less noisy when you move or roll over in the middle of the night. The Army ones make a lot of noise

Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
This one says it can withstand a 747 jet engine I believe it if use all the ties. Like my air mattress long as not laying directly on it in AK HI no problem but too cold here without blanket under or seperate bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska