Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 PM

693 posts, read 1,605,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaW View Post
Well, lets see...

Moose are not friendly little creatures that you approach to try to pet. Especially when they're hanging out in your yard with their calves. They may come when you call them but it's gonna hurt! (I outran it but barely, pretty stupid of me).

Moose like to sit in the snow in the yard, sometimes for a long time and you do not have to call the animal control people. I could almost hear the laughter 'cross town after they hung up the phone. "But, it hasn't moved for a while, you sure it's OK?" "Uhhhh...Probably so, (snort)."

If the locals tell you it gets cold and you need a block heater, well, you should believe them and not think, "ahhh, it can't get that cold!" Let me tell ya, a light bulb under the hood, not even 100 watts, keeps your engine from freezing when it's -40. Well, it didn't for me anyway!

Since I didn't have a block heater in my car at first, I was told I'd want to start it frequently or it would freeze. "Yeah, OK, sure a car freezes." Oh, yes it does! I thought to myself, "gee I should have listened" as I was watching it being towed away to get a block heater installed.

I learned the hard way several times that if the locals tell you something to help ya out, you'd better believe it. They know what they're talking about. Alaska is a pretty humbling place in my opinion, when you think you know everything.
Andrea, awesome post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 05:33 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
Andrea, awesome post.
ditto!!! great fun reading!!!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:24 AM

52 posts, read 98,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
do you mean fort wainwright or wainwright?

Fort Wainwright, didn't realize there was a town of the same name, however I'm sure it wont be last last time I stick my foot in my mouth in regards to my lower 48 nievete. Though I don't think I'll call animal control if I find a moose on the lawn, lol, good story.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:07 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
I thought i posted but just looked through and didn't see any. Forgive me if I repost.

I wanted to go to Mexico for my birthday, after my father died couldn't find birth certificate. Needed to get away. I went to Hawaii which I fell in love with. Meet many people from Alaska wintering in Hawaii. They invited me up to Alaska in the summer always wanted to drive the Alcan and come to Alaska ... so I did it this summer. Now wanted to make Alaska part time part of my life.

Didn't think I could do the darkness of Alaska in the winter. As I sit home dark already at 4pm I wish I had the snow to lighten things up. Knowing the next couple of months will be even worse. I do miss the snow in the moonlight. Calling for snow tomarrow/today hope so!!! Can't wait only another month before Hawaii and hopefully Alaska by May!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:12 AM

5 posts, read 8,493 times
I had to choose between two jobs. My options were in Louisiana, or Fairbanks.

A lot of my family and friends think I'm nuts, but I'm so happy I moved up here. I love the cold and snow, it's a beautiful place, and there's a completely different attitude here than in the midwest. I think I made the right choice, but mebbe I should see if I survive the winter, first

Old 11-21-2009, 12:22 AM

16 posts, read 59,313 times
Default It all started with a 2 week vacation in '77..........

I was back from a 4 year stint in the USMC and had been home (MT) for a little over 18 months. I wasn't used to sitting in one spot too long and was getting antsy for a trip when I received an offer of a fishing trip to Alaska. It sounded good so I was off and running in July of 77. I saw all of Ancharage and the Kenai, where I caught some very nice Kings.

I liked it and commented to a few friends that, "I could live here for a while". I was offered a job in Anchorage, and took it, with the intention of staying "just a year" to see all of the seasons.

A year and a half later as I was getting ready to leave, on a whim and at the urging of a friend, I applied for a position with the state. I ended up getting the job and hung around for another 30+ years, mostly in the interior...............those state jobs were very attractive back then. I am since retired and looking towards Mesquite, NV or S/W Utah for a change in temperature.............

It's been nice here, and I'll be back for the summers.....JUST the summers.

I did manage to see "all of the seasons"

Old 11-21-2009, 01:12 AM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times
Fresh out of high school in Helena, Mt. I answered an ad for a cook in a remote Alaska logging camp. Air fare paid, room & board plus $20 a day. That was a fortune in 1965! I had no idea how to boil water, not a clue what a logging camp was like, or Alaska for that matter. But I could read so I bought a Betty Crocker cookbook and got on a plane for Alaska. I'm still here and I still have that cookbook. At 18 I learned to cook on 26 hungry loggers that summer. Halfway through the season they bragged on the vhf that they had the best cook in southeast.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:21 PM

127 posts, read 346,613 times
Wow! After reading all these posts, it sounds like one actually can move to Alaska and make it work! Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM

33 posts, read 57,312 times
[quote=GoddessofRandomThoughts;1787596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmaniac View Post

Transplanted southerners and semisoutherners(me) eat grits!
Arctic you just need to have them prepared correctly. Yumm!

Couldn't find the right kind in the stores here so every now and again my family or friends will send me a box! Just got one last week!

Northerners eat grits. Southerners eat greeuts.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 PM

109 posts, read 166,836 times
Nice stories in the zombie thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska