Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 AM

811 posts, read 1,305,091 times

Advertisements

In the last 4/5 years there have been droves of threads and folks moving to Alaska. What started it all? Was it the TV reality shows, movies of Alaska, Palin that got you wanting to head to Alaska?

Back in the 80’s when the economy was bad in the -48 folks moved up to Alaska for the oil field jobs.

Here is a common sense guy that looked at moving to Alaska.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVgKHF2ukG0

Last edited by wildchild_to; 06-21-2011 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,340,309 times
Before the on line computer age. Only place to get jobs was through Alaska Magazine. Early 1980's. Too bad the Ohio Pennsylvania Iron Steal Industry did not boost the skyline of Anchorage. World corporate buildings would be very good for Anchorage.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,781,704 times
Most people don't know these "shows" were designed to boost tourism, not increase population. Yet because of the economy it has labeled Alaska as the land of milk and honey, i.e. it has backfired.

Some folks are betting the farm on that, and they find out the hard way it's mostly fiction. There have been a bunch of new posters here over the last few years who start off with the "ohhh.....ahhh...I love it so here, my dreams have come true".....and then for some in less than a year you never hear from them again.

Reality can be harsh at times, and this is one state where it can really suck to be stuck and broke.

Alaska doesn't really lack for jobs, it's getting one that pays a livable wage. And with the recession catching up to us, it's not a fun time.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:53 AM

811 posts, read 1,305,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Most people don't know these "shows" were designed to boost tourism, not increase population. Yet because of the economy it has labeled Alaska as the land of milk and honey, i.e. it has backfired.

Some folks are betting the farm on that, and they find out the hard way it's mostly fiction. There have been a bunch of new posters here over the last few years who start off with the "ohhh.....ahhh...I love it so here, my dreams have come true".....and then for some in less than a year you never hear from them again.

Reality can be harsh at times, and this is one state where it can really suck to be stuck and broke.

Alaska doesn't really lack for jobs, it's getting one that pays a livable wage. And with the recession catching up to us, it's not a fun time.
I believe many shows are what made folk dream of the last frontier.
What many don't understand Alaska weather, wilderness has probably taken more lives than any of the lover -48, in the bush it is the real deal, hard work day in and day out all year round. I have friends down here that own land in Alaska and head up for a month or so and they say it is the hardest month of the year. In the bush you just don't run to the local store in the middle of a blizzard.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 PM

468 posts, read 792,449 times
I have to admit that I loved the stunning landscapes shown in "Sarah Palin's Alaska." However, that is not what prompted us to look for school jobs there.

We moved to Minnesota 5+ years ago from Virginia and slowly morphed into northern people. I can't imagine living in the heat ever again. This year we decided to expand the job search to other states since there are a heck of a lot of laid off school counselors here that get the jobs first because of their experience. Our short list was Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. My husband went to a Minnesota Education Job Fair and ended up talking to a few school districts from Alaska. Everything sort of grew out of that. Now we are headed to the North Slope.

I can safely say that "Deadliest Catch" has never made me want to move to Alaska. I don't mind cold, but being covered in icy sea spray has never been on my short list of things to do in life. I also couldn't stomach that gold mining show. I have no idea how it ended as I didn't watch anything after the first episode.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:39 PM

36 posts, read 80,890 times
California has had the same problem for decades. Due to TV people think that Hollywood is california or just because you are gay San francisco will somehow feed and clothe you. I wouldn't move my family to Alaska if I didn't think we could hack it. The job I am possibly transferring too, which if I don't transfer I wont move, is for a major oil company. More than a decent livable wage is offered. Now I haven't priced fresh produce or eggs in Alaska but I think we'll be just fine. And I do like deadliest catch

Old 06-21-2011, 12:56 PM

200 posts, read 284,992 times
I don't know why others want to move there, but I can try to tell you why we want to head north to Alaska. It has nothing to do with TV, reality shows or economic reasons. It has nothing to do with our current living situation....we love TN and love our home. It has everything to do with the fact that since our first visit to Alaska two years ago, it seems Alaska has grabbed our hearts and won't let go. We thought it was a temporary type of insanity, but we were wrong. With each visit to Alaska, the feeling of peace and belonging has only grown. We are looking at it as the adventure of a lifetime. With a lot of research, planning, and preparation, I believe we can be successful and thrive anywhere (even Alaska!). If we are going to work/play and be productive members of society no matter where we are, why not do it where there is a little less chaos and lot more playground? You only have one life to live.....don't just live it, LIVE IT!!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,818,309 times
I should counter with this question: what created all the "why are you moving here, we don't want you" threads?

As for me, I have stated repeatedly that I have not yet decided that I am moving to Alaska. I will not be able to determine that until I have visited extensively and experienced life in Alaska in both summer and winter. As for why Alaska is on my short list, that should be fairly obvious really. I like cold weather and snow, I like mountains, I like wide open spaces, I like riding snowmachines, I like a majority of the things that Alaska has to offer. Honestly the biggest drawbacks I can think of are being so far from home and having giant bird-sized mosquitoes around in the warm months. The isolation is a concern, for sure, and I don't suppose one can ever really know how much it will bother them until they have experienced it. I don't think it's reasonable to jump on someone's case for wanting to move to Alaska as some do around here; it's the most unspoiled place in the country, and it's totally unique. The attractions of the Last Frontier are numerous and obvious.

I can understand not wanting people to come in and screw things up, but you shouldn't be worried about individual citizens doing that. It's the business interests, those want to develop Arctic and near-Arctic Alaska, that you should worry about. I was reading an article earlier in the Alaska Dispatch where some business guy was basically jumping up and down for joy about the economic prospects involved with developing and irreversibly changing the last real wilderness in the US. That is what you should worry about, not a few cheechakos.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:37 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,816,675 times
Vision quests, the romance of the "last frontier" and getting fed up with too many people and too many noses in their personal business in the name of safety and security.

Now, I would like some dreamer with lots of money to move to Anchorage to buy my cute house downtown....

Old 06-21-2011, 02:15 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,367,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Vision quests, the romance of the "last frontier" and getting fed up with too many people and too many noses in their personal business in the name of safety and security.

Now, I would like some dreamer with lots of money to move to Anchorage to buy my cute house downtown....

Why--do you want to move where there is too many people and too many noses in your business? lol....just kidding, had to ask it. Where are you wanting to move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska