U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Juneau
221 posts, read 189,020 times
Reputation: 237

Advertisements

This thread was bumped by a real spam post which was removed. That's how it found its way onto the radar today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,271 posts, read 7,924,089 times
Reputation: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
huh....over 4 month old thread bumped back
Yeah, but I like talking about off grid systems! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, AK
871 posts, read 646,837 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
You hang your clothes out just like you do in the summer. It just takes longer.

It's called sublimation as opposed to evaporation. The frozen clothes still dry out by sublimation.

Or you can hang them inside.
I've heard of this, although I did not know the term for it. Is it hard on the clothes, and how long does it usually take? I'm not in a position to do this now, but would love to have the knowledge stored away for possible future reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,271 posts, read 7,924,089 times
Reputation: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I've heard of this, although I did not know the term for it. Is it hard on the clothes, and how long does it usually take? I'm not in a position to do this now, but would love to have the knowledge stored away for possible future reference.
Yeah, but if you put the clothes out to freeze dry at -40, all is good.... Unless the wind comes up! Then they look like shattered glass all over the yard!

Not fun to try to sew back together after they dry and thaw out!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, AK
871 posts, read 646,837 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Yeah, but if you put the clothes out to freeze dry at -40, all is good.... Unless the wind comes up! Then they look like shattered glass all over the yard!

Not fun to try to sew back together after they dry and thaw out!


I was thinking of the wear and tear over time on different kinds of fabric. I may be from Outside, but I'm not stupid. Would you like to tell me honestly if this is damaging to specific kinds of material? It clearly won't hurt a pair of jeans, but I can easily imagine it damaging anything that has a bit more elasticity, just like overdrying in a dryer can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,271 posts, read 7,924,089 times
Reputation: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I've heard of this, although I did not know the term for it. Is it hard on the clothes, and how long does it usually take? I'm not in a position to do this now, but would love to have the knowledge stored away for possible future reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I was thinking of the wear and tear over time on different kinds of fabric. I may be from Outside, but I'm not stupid. Would you like to tell me honestly if this is damaging to specific kinds of material? It clearly won't hurt a pair of jeans, but I can easily imagine it damaging anything that has a bit more elasticity, just like overdrying in a dryer can do.

LOL, it doesn't bother the clothes at all. Sorry you don't like the frozen North Humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, AK
871 posts, read 646,837 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
LOL, it doesn't bother the clothes at all. Sorry you don't like the frozen North Humor.
Actually, I like it a lot, especially when I know enough to be in on the joke. But there are many things I still don't know, and this was one of them.

Glad to hear my silk lounging pajamas will survive this ordeal...

^.~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,271 posts, read 7,924,089 times
Reputation: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
.

Glad to hear my silk lounging pajamas will survive this ordeal...

^.~


LOL, well they may be an endangered species if you show up in the wrong town!

Some places are known to be hard on pajamas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Carrollton, Tx
111 posts, read 329,744 times
Reputation: 45
Have you guys ever heard of Vibro-wind technology? I am thinking about buying some land outside Anderson, AK...does anyone know what the area is like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 03:46 AM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,271 posts, read 7,924,089 times
Reputation: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
Have you guys ever heard of Vibro-wind technology? I am thinking about buying some land outside Anderson, AK...does anyone know what the area is like?
Yeah, I live in that area. Where is the land you're referring to?

Not enough wind to get much power from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top