U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:29 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,728,337 times

Advertisements

Met, I use to buy salmon in the can to make salmon patties. I bought a can a few weeks ago and it tasted real fishy, too fishy for my tastes. I think it was Bumble Bee or Chicken of the Sea,,can't remember which, labeled AK salmon. What kind in the can would you recommend? I saw some frozen ones but the bag said something about China waters..I didn't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:32 PM

6,423 posts, read 11,315,731 times
I have some in a packet from Chicken of the Sea, says Premium Wild Caught Alaskan Pink Salmon.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:51 PM

1,926 posts, read 4,017,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I wonder if the artificial coloring they have on their ingredients list enhances the flavor any.
I don't know. They taste like Salmon and Dill mostly.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 PM

2,762 posts, read 4,344,849 times
I've bought some of the pink salmon in foil packaging for camping when I lived down south. It's okay for what it is, which is a convenient source of protein for backpacking. I like it better than packaged light tuna and about the same as albacore.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:33 PM

21,646 posts, read 27,723,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Met, I use to buy salmon in the can to make salmon patties. I bought a can a few weeks ago and it tasted real fishy, too fishy for my tastes. I think it was Bumble Bee or Chicken of the Sea,,can't remember which, labeled AK salmon. What kind in the can would you recommend? I saw some frozen ones but the bag said something about China waters..I didn't get it.
Well, BB cans red, pinks, chums, and also Atlantic (farmed salmon). I'm guessing the type that you used to buy was pinks (which actually make a pretty good salmon patty) and somehow you got a different kind the last time you bought it. Either that or your tastes have changed, it happens.

I don't see anything wrong with pinks for making salmon patties, though if I were going to make them using canned salmon I'd use King, but canned King is a bit hard to find on the market. I have a whole shed full of it for personal use though.

Instead of buying the mass produced stuff in the store, you might look into places like this one:

Klawock Oceanside, Inc. Products

This is not my company, but they do contract out their smoking to me as well as their canning. I'd suggest trying patties with coho.

We only work with premium grade or grade 1 salmon.

Like this.

We have to make it on quality and not quantity, which I guess is why the Trident idjits are flying around in a Lear jet and I'm riding around in a rusty old Ford, but I think I prefer it this way anyway.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:40 PM

1,926 posts, read 4,017,081 times
Purdy!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:45 PM

6,423 posts, read 11,315,731 times
I sure am going to miss the salmon here. There's salmon in MI, lots of it, but it's not the same.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:39 AM

2,863 posts, read 6,383,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If you like them, buy them no matter what kind they are. But if they're from Trident and they aren't marked by specie and I can pretty much assure you that they're chum. They have some marinated in Thai seasoning; is that the one you're thinking of?

Ocean caught chum isn't really all that bad. They're a leaner fish that the others because they typically spawn close to the ocean and don't have to store fat to go upriver. For that same reason they start to decompose very quickly the closer they get to their spawning grounds.

What is your reason for wanting to avoid chum salmon? They aren't usually very good when sports caught but the commercial catch can be ...all right.
I had it beaten into my head while I was in Alaska that chum was the equivalent of dog food. There was the implication that it was a marketing strategy to sell the poorest grade to folks who just didn't know the difference.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 AM

21,646 posts, read 27,723,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I had it beaten into my head while I was in Alaska that chum was the equivalent of dog food. There was the implication that it was a marketing strategy to sell the poorest grade to folks who just didn't know the difference.
To be perfectly fair to the chum salmon, the chum that the sports fishermen are used to and the chum that is commercially harvested are in different stages. Again, the closer any salmon gets to it's spawning the grounds, the more it's deteriorating. You wouldn't want spawned out King or sockeye either.

Chum just happens to be much closer to their spawning grounds than the others. That's why it's leaner and doesn't have as much Omega 3's as the others, because it doesn't need to store fat to make it a long ways upriver.

So yes, there's a marketing strategy involved and yes, some Alaskans do feed (cooked) salmon to their dogs. But it's also true that the chum that's available to sports and subsistence fishermen in Alaska isn't the same quality as the chum that the commercial guys catch farther out in the ocean. The people marketing this stuff know all this and it's hard to convey this to the general consumer.

So if you have had the salmon filets at Costco that are already marinated, and liked them, get them again. If it isn't marked it's probably chum but if it tastes good to you that's all that matters.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 PM

2,762 posts, read 4,344,849 times
Regarding salmon as dog food, a lot of the mushers around here get coho broodstock from the hatchery for their dogs. They're not worth anything as food for people at that point but are still a good source of cheap protein for a dog team. So it's not just chum that winds up as dog food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska