Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:59 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,763,401 times

Advertisements

Ever since my Alaska vacation last year I am scared to buy salmon in restaurants or at the store for fear of getting chum.

I'm learning that most prepackaged doesn't specify what type of salmon it is. I've also learned there are other names used for chum.

I love salmon but if it doesn't specify should I assume it is chum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:58 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,348,436 times
Reputable nationwide grocery store chain seafood might do the trick for having best Salmon. The Higher the price it should then be Alaska Salmon.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 AM

100 posts, read 223,145 times
chum is marketed as "keta". Coho as silver. red as sockeye. king as chinook, humpys as pinks.
an employee should be able to check with people in the kitchen or market area, they should know?
It will vary throughout the season as to what is available.
Nan

Old 07-03-2011, 11:29 AM

26,537 posts, read 36,445,194 times
Does the labeling just say "Alaska Salmon"? If so it's most likely chum. Chum is going to be paler with almost yellowish tones. Could be pinks, but not many of them make it to the fresh market in the -48; they go to Asia mostly.

Florida's labeling laws must be a bit behind the times; most states do require species specific labeling these days. And you won't find King, silvers, or reds simply marked "Alaskan Salmon" unless the business is being run by a total idjit.

There's been a huge marketing effort going on for the past couple of years regarding chum...as sailorjo says, it's being called keta now.

Price is a good indicator as well. You won't find King at chum prices. Are there any good quality fish markets in your area? You might be better off shopping there than at the standard supermarkets.

I think it gets trickier in restaurants, especially ones that far away. Unless it's a very high end place, I wouldn't count on the staff to be knowledgeable about what type of salmon it is unless they're a transplant from here or the PNW.

When you say this "I'm learning that most prepackaged doesn't specify what type of salmon it is"---I'm guessing that some of it does specify?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:52 PM

The label says "Alaska Salmon". Some will say "farm raised". The frozen ones at Costco are packaged by Trident but don't specify.

Here is an example: Costco - Trident Seafoods® Wild Alaskan Salmon Burgers

Old 07-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Trident's salmon burgers are made with chum, but sometimes they throw in a little pink.

If the label only says "Alaska salmon", it's almost for sure chum.

If it says "farmed salmon", it isn't from Alaska.

Doesn't Costco still sell sockeye?

Old 07-03-2011, 04:37 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,699,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
The label says "Alaska Salmon". Some will say "farm raised". The frozen ones at Costco are packaged by Trident but don't specify.

Here is an example: Costco - Trident Seafoods® Wild Alaskan Salmon Burgers

those costco frozen patties are pretty good.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
those costco frozen patties are pretty good.
I wonder if the artificial coloring they have on their ingredients list enhances the flavor any.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:27 PM

I'm going to look the next time I go to Costco. They do sell these frozen salmon fillets that are already marinated. They are from Trident but it doesn't say what type of salmon.

They are delicious but I haven't had any since I returned from Alaska.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:05 PM

If you like them, buy them no matter what kind they are. But if they're from Trident and they aren't marked by specie and I can pretty much assure you that they're chum. They have some marinated in Thai seasoning; is that the one you're thinking of?

Ocean caught chum isn't really all that bad. They're a leaner fish that the others because they typically spawn close to the ocean and don't have to store fat to go upriver. For that same reason they start to decompose very quickly the closer they get to their spawning grounds.

What is your reason for wanting to avoid chum salmon? They aren't usually very good when sports caught but the commercial catch can be ...all right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska