Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Pacific Islanders and Asians.
Yup

Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
So a guy asks if it's good to retire here and you turn it around and make it your thread on Barrow? Way off topic, answer yes or no on if he should retire here.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:40 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Sorry for getting off topic. NO, don't retire in Barrow.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:02 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
These both feature a fantasy version of Barrow. My favorite movie, and 2 fave songs:

YouTube - ‪La Magra - Wesen der Nacht‬‏

YouTube - ‪La Magra - für immer‬‏

The Vamps here are an ancient, primeval, Russian kind. I wonder whether they came out of the Urals or the Kamchatka (supposedly where my people originated, before the great schlep across the Bering Strait).

Anyway, actual REAL Russians (along with Filipinos) are the dominant group of current immigrants to Alaska. But something far scarier than Russians or Vampires is infiltrating the Far North. They're opening convenience stores as far North as Yellowknife. When the final mop-up of Old Stock Americans and Canadians comes, they'll be able to help coordinate...supply names...lead UN Troops to hiding places...

In other words, there's noplace to run.

If, however, the dark, quiet, and cold are the appeal (and I love Thirty Days of Night because it really conveys those things), then you'll love Barrow.

So, if you're hoping Alaska is full of sweet, fuzzy Scandic types, and docile 'First Nations' people.... Maybe Barrow is that way today. But ten years from now, things could be very different.
OMG, I have never, ever in my life heard such unmitigated vomit spewed in public. Bigots are usually much more circumspect. What is wrong with Russians? Are they not white enough for you? And Filipinos are some of the most ardent supporters of America left overseas.

As far as the UN forces which you fear, I have seldom seen such poorly led and trained troopers. Given the large population of veterans in this state, I would imagine that an invading army would have it's hands full if they tried driving in from Canada by the time they reached Tok.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
So a guy asks if it's good to retire here and you turn it around and make it your thread on Barrow? Way off topic, answer yes or no on if he should retire here.
go retire in Bethel !!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:51 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times
Invading army? Russians? Filipinos that are going to lead UN forces to hiding places or something? What in the hell are you talking about man?

And Rance, I wasn't really saying that old people don't live there, but, you know, older people have joint issues and stuff. My grandfather hates cold, makes his bones hurt. The Barrow threads were kind of what got me into this board in the first place, and now they're just... terrible. Although I do like the pictures.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Invading army? Russians? Filipinos that are going to lead UN forces to hiding places or something? What in the hell are you talking about man?

And Rance, I wasn't really saying that old people don't live there, but, you know, older people have joint issues and stuff. My grandfather hates cold, makes his bones hurt. The Barrow threads were kind of what got me into this board in the first place, and now they're just... terrible. Although I do like the pictures.

The chart you posted shows Barrow as having almost 4 months of sunlight yet you claim Two months ! That is Terrible (logic) the chart is right in front of you and you are two months off in your complaint about the sun??

Do you have any idea how many hunters are in their 80's and still hunting ? I guess your grandfather has never heard of valerian root. Go spend $5.00 and watch what it does to his bones and joints!

I've gone through 30 - 40 bottles of that stuff in Point Hope & Barrow & @ the homeless shelter. People got instant relief.

We met a person @ the homeless shelter that could not even walk, I had that guy laughing and walking in less than a day. He couldn't thank me enough!! You live on the east coast where that cold affects peoples joints. Not so here in Barrow or the Arctic. You make so many assumptions for a person who has never even been here! So typical of today's youth!!

Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Pacific Islanders and Asians.
NOT true. Speaking from knowledge, most pacific islanders and Asians, being native to the Tropics, absolutely despise cold weather and would ridicule the idea of having to live in AK. I think you are confused by the Asian-like look of the Eskimos/Inuit, which is predominant ethnic group in Alaska. Come to Texas and ask if any Asians here would like to Alaska, and see how they'll answer you.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
NOT true. Speaking from knowledge, most pacific islanders and Asians, being native to the Tropics, absolutely despise cold weather and would ridicule the idea of having to live in AK. I think you are confused by the Asian-like look of the Eskimos/Inuit, which is predominant ethnic group in Alaska. Come to Texas and ask if any Asians here would like to Alaska, and see how they'll answer you.
You are WRONG kaul !!!

Tai, Phillipino, Samoan are the majority here in Barrow; after the Inupiat residents. There are no Inuit living in Barrow or in Alaska!!

At times I think there are more phillippino living in Barrow than Inupiaq. they have been here for decades!! They hold lots of important jobs here in Barrow.

More assumptions from someone that doesn't even live here.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 AM

For a full view of Barrow & the bus route

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska