Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:22 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,434 times

Advertisements

For the OP. It will require @ least 3k per month to live in Barrow in comfort!

1,500 for rent! You might get a place cheaper but do not count on it.

Water is expensive, Electricity is expensive, Heat is FREE!

Food is expensive so it doesn't leave you with much money for other activities, such as fuel, and other associated costs.

Good Luck in what ever your final decision is. Make sure you have Xtra $$ for plane fare, if you want to leave!!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:36 AM

8 posts, read 35,796 times
Default thanks for your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post

Thanks for the opportunity Rance. I would love to post images of Barrow and talk of my "actual experiences" of living there for just over 3 1/2 years.

so... lets walk around Barrow and see the 'city'.

One of the first things you will NOTICE: FOOD -being prepared or worked on outside of the home. Meat is 'dried' for use as paningtaq. = 'jerky'

Oogruk Meat (bearded seal).

Preparing Oogruk skins for covering an umiaq (skin boat) for whaling.

These skins are 'ripe' you can easily smell them from a block away!

Thanks for your picture and comment.
Some people are doing just joking and laughing here. Let them fool around by themselves.

I am serious to live in Barrow, AK.
I've read this forum for last couple of years.
I've listened to KBRW radio station often.

I am looking for actual relocation to Barrow.
Help me feel atmosphere up there.

Thanks.

My plan up there goes now to...

1. studying at Ilisagvik College.
2. learning small business, if any chance or need.
3. volunteering to public work or school.
4. more and more...

Please add your opinion, pros ans cons, NO JOKE!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:41 AM

Default transportation.

Quote:
For a full view of Barrow & the bus route
is it possible to make daily life smoothly without own car?

Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,687,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
NOT true. Speaking from knowledge, most pacific islanders and Asians, being native to the Tropics, absolutely despise cold weather and would ridicule the idea of having to live in AK. I think you are confused by the Asian-like look of the Eskimos/Inuit, which is predominant ethnic group in Alaska. Come to Texas and ask if any Asians here would like to Alaska, and see how they'll answer you.
Golly jeepers, the sun really does bake the brains of Texans. Incredible. Very large community of Samoan's living in Anchorage. Very large as well as Filipinos too.

http://newamericamedia.org/2010/10/d...-in-alaska.php

http://filamalaska.org/

Polynesian community celebrates Flag Day: Top Stories | Alaska news at adn.com

[LEFT]Honoring the raising of the American flag on Tutuila Island in American Samoa by the United States Navy on April 17, 1900, Saturday, July 2, was the 6th annual Polynesian Flag Day in Anchorage. Dancers, singers and food vendors gathered at the Delaney Park Strip to celebrate the holiday.

Polynesian community celebrates Flag Day: Top Stories | Alaska news at adn.com (http://www.adn.com/2011/07/05/v-gallery/1953071/polynesian-community-celebrates.html - broken link)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/akbushcop/samoa.jpg (broken link)

[/LEFT]

Last edited by stiffnecked; 07-09-2011 at 03:02 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 03:06 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGGDRASIL.PETER View Post
is it possible to make daily life smoothly without own car?
You do not need a car to get around in Barrow; It is easy to walk anyplace. The only exception being the college.

There are taxi's in town, they will take you "anywhere'! In town - or just to take a drive to no where.

It's just not worth the extra un-needed expense to have a vehicle. Insurance, fuel, and repairs and such. Walk; it is much healthier by far and much less expensive. & you are not going to meet people .. sitting inside of a car- driving!!

PETER: I post photos and tell my story of what I have seen & experienced here in Barrow. It does provide you insight of how village life operates and the absolute freedom that exists here in the Arctic.

Anchorage; = too noisy, dirty, wet air. It takes too long to do anything simple in Anchorage, Not so in the villages, it is very peaceful, laid back, serene soothing SIMPLE lifestyle.

Let me try and find more photos to show landscape and other aspects of village life in this place called Barrow!!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
You do not need a car to get around in Barrow; It is easy to walk anyplace. The only exception being the college.

There are taxi's in town, they will take you "anywhere'! In town - or just to take a drive to no where.

It's just not worth the extra un-needed expense to have a vehicle. Insurance, fuel, and repairs and such. Walk; it is much healthier by far and much less expensive. & you are not going to meet people .. sitting inside of a car- driving!!

PETER: I post photos and tell my story of what I have seen & experienced here in Barrow. It does provide you insight of how village life operates and the absolute freedom that exists here in the Arctic.

Anchorage; = too noisy, dirty, wet air. It takes too long to do anything simple in Anchorage, Not so in the villages, it is very peaceful, laid back, serene soothing SIMPLE lifestyle.

Let me try and find more photos to show landscape and other aspects of village life in this place called Barrow!!
I post photos and tell my story of what I have seen & experienced here in Barrow.

excited to hear it. thanks.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:35 AM

20 posts, read 37,002 times
Well, this has certainly been an interesting thread.

Sity--I enjoyed the photos. Thanks for posting.

To the OP...I'm curious, why Barrow? Have you ever been there?

Also, I don't understand why people who don't live in Barrow, or have never been to Barrow, (or to Alaska for that matter) post advice on here about Barrow. Just an observation.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:46 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
Good Thread. OP. Get on a plane =)

Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 AM

339 posts, read 728,706 times
OP: You aren't going to know if it's really the place for you until you get there.

I've lived in a few different regions in AK, most recently the north slope. I was in a village just east of Barrow and visited Barrow several times during the year. I thought I would really love it up there, but I ended up hating it and got out as soon as I could.

No offense to those who enjoy it, just wasn't for me. One of the biggest stressors was that I couldn't just go into the woods and get lost when I needed to........because there are no trees (or any plant over what, 6 inches tall?) Every time I tried to take a walk out of town, someone would pull over and tell me, "Don't you know there are bears out there?" So like most of the people in my village, besides the hunters and whalers, I didn't leave the house very often. CABIN FEVER.

I missed the YK Delta, and I'm moving back in a month. Now that's MY paradise. Not saying it would be yours. To each his own.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,769,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
All conspiracy theories and stereotypes aside, I'm pretty sure the dominant group of immigrants to Alaska is European-Americans.
Not anymore..... That's how it used to be.

And BTW, 'Conspiracy Theories' are sometimes useful (considering that people frequently do actually conspire....unless you think that three jetliners just randomly crashed into buildings, one day).

And Stereotypes are only considered 'bad', because they are inconvenient for certain people....and because other people are gullible enough to let other people tell them how to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska